Return to “Suggestions”

Hangars and repairing docked ships

Hi Josh, I have a couple suggestions/questions for you regarding ship interaction.

First off, I just want to let you know how much of an amazing job you're doing. I see that you're getting so many suggestions thrown at you, and most people probably don't realize how you're on your own here and how tough all this coding probably is! (for the record I'm horrible when it comes to tech, I just like tossing out ideas). But anyways, mad props to you and your progress. Best of luck to this game and its future development. :D

So, onto my first suggestion... implementing some sort of hangar bay in very large and expensive ships where you can store smaller, fighter-class ships. This could also be a way for you to switch into a huge capital ship from your active ship or vice versa. I'm not saying this is a requirement, but it could be a fun feature to get a sense of scale between ships.

My next idea is something that involves my first idea; ships repairing each other. For instance when your ship is critically damaged, you could get pulled into a larger ship, repaired, then sent back out into combat. I think that would be a nice way to get a second chance in combat... or multiple chances :mrgreen:

I know, you're probably tired of ready but just one question about ships in general. Do you think that you will implement distinction between ships of the same hull/class but belonging to different factions? Kind of like a symbol/certain paint job to distinguish what faction a certain ship belongs to. I think that would create a lot of diversity to the game in the future.

Again, best of luck to you. I'll be supporting you and this game the whole way through! I'll be backing you with the best I can spare quite soon! Happy coding :P
Anything is possible if you can dream it.
Re: Small/ Large Ship Interaction

StarJumper wrote:So, onto my first suggestion... implementing some sort of hangar bay in very large and expensive ships where you can store smaller, fighter-class ships. This could also be a way for you to switch into a huge capital ship from your active ship or vice versa. I'm not saying this is a requirement, but it could be a fun feature to get a sense of scale between ships.
I suggested the same thing a while back and here's Josh's answer:
Sounds good. Although I am hesitant to promise a docking-with-larger-ships feature at the moment in my sleep-deprived stupor, I'm pretty sure that would be an awesome and not-too-hard feature. I definitely get your point...it would be annoying to not be able to switch easily between a hulking behemoth and a maneuverable ship depending on what you want to accomplish. I'll certainly make sure that doing so is not a pain!
My next idea is something that involves my first idea; ships repairing each other. For instance when your ship is critically damaged, you could get pulled into a larger ship, repaired, then sent back out into combat. I think that would be a nice way to get a second chance in combat... or multiple chances :mrgreen:
+1
Sounds really cool. :)
I know, you're probably tired of ready but just one question about ships in general. Do you think that you will implement distinction between ships of the same hull/class but belonging to different factions? Kind of like a symbol/certain paint job to distinguish what faction a certain ship belongs to. I think that would create a lot of diversity to the game in the future.
I don't remember where so I can't provide you with an exact quote here, but the short answer is yes. Josh explained that the procedural generator will have slightly different parameters varying between factions and the goal is to make factions have distinct looks.

Thanks for the reply! Now I'm a bit more caught up, and I'm not sure how I missed your post :P but my hopes are up for these features being implemented. Its the little things in a game that I really enjoy. I could respond with so much more if I had the knowledge on making a game... unfortunately all I've got is ideas for the time being.
Anything is possible if you can dream it.

StarJumper wrote:Thanks for the reply! Now I'm a bit more caught up, and I'm not sure how I missed your post :P
You're welcome. My guess is you did not read the entire forum (or if you did, you do not have an eidetic memory). :ugeek:
StarJumper wrote:Hm... I'm wondering if you could create your own faction? With its own symbol for your ship(s)? :D
That could be the next stretch goal. It's one of the options of the stretch goal poll.

+1 to this entire page. a docking system would be exceptionally useful. a larger parent ship housing smaller more specialized ships could prove invaluable in different situations. and whos to say the docked ship is the only one that could receive repairs? wheres the beloved repair corvette that i use to no end in games like Homeworld? XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

+1

I think it would make complete sense to be able to dock with larger ships or fly into a hangar. Carriers are the most important ship in naval warfare at the moment, and logic dictates that they'd play a fairly important role in space combat too. If every ship is equipped with massive lasers or railguns, then small and/or more numerous fighters would be almost untargetable and could sway the battle. Just like in Star Wars Battlefront 2, it would be awesome to be able to fly into and out of hangars to either retreat or bring the fight to the enemy.

Yes! +1 to this whole page. I think docking in some way, preferable into a hangar on a larger ship, is invaluable when it comes to space exploration or battle. Personally, I don't see any other way to switch between ships realistically besides landing on a planet and switching there. With a larger ship that could house many other smaller fighters or mining ships, you could much more easily manage a whole empire. :D

I'll throw my +1 in the pile as well. I'd much prefer some sort of coupling process to transfer the player, NPCs, and cargo between ships, over X3's teleportation between ships.

And I heartily second the suggestion that it would make pirating much more robust! First, you'd hire a large crew skilled in melee and small arms combat. Second, you'd find a suitably juicy target. Third, you beat the crap out of said target until it's disabled. Fourth and last, you dock with it and send your vicious band of rapscallions over to take over the ship by force (assuming the ship didn't already surrender through diplomacy options). This wouldn't require rendering ship interiors or anything crazy, but would make ship-to-ship transfers of people and cargo much more believable.

That does work well for the pirate scenario, but one would have thought that when raiding, one expects to be able to dock pretty much where ever they wanted through a hull breach. (kinda like how burglars don't usually come through the front door)
You could implement this scenario by simply firing a larger projectile than normal (and explain that it's a vessel that actually contains the boarding party).
Hit the target. Yay Loot!
Miss the target? Ooops, better go chase down my troops and scoop them up again.

Another scenario I'm fond of is the 'carrier landing' one, because if I'm flying too cocky I damn well deserve to become (crispy?) red paste on the hangar wall(s) of the larger structure.

Online Now