Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Missiles in the games

MyrddinE wrote:There are many ways to make defending yourself against missiles part of the engagement, part of the fun, other than simply running away or tanking the damage.
I'm delighted that my critique of how missiles are usually handled in games has led you to agree with my prescription for making it more fun. ;)
Talvieno wrote:Missiles can be tanked, just like anything else. You just decide not to dodge. :P
Sure. My objection is really mostly with thinking of it as tanking.

Even just using that word to describe how to think of handling incoming missile attacks risks locking down creative thinking into the MMORPG conventions. It turns ships into meatshields. That's exactly what MyrddinE says isn't necessary, and I agree.

Let spaceships be spaceships! Let them have active ways of dealing with lots of missiles so that there are always fun choices to make, whether you're an attacker or defender, that make sense for a space game.

Talvieno wrote:I'm mostly just using it as a fun phrase, like "soak 'em up", "be a man", "take it standing", etc. I'd like to see something happen if you were dumb enough to take a barrage of any kind of weapon fire without your shields up.
"Swallow that aggressively generated black hole like a man"

I've read the various opinions here and I still want those exciting salvos of missiles. Not so much for smaller ships but certainly when it comes to the bigger beasts in the game. :D Realistic or not there is nothing to compare with such pyrotechnics when it comes to space battles. I hasten to add I will be located at a safe distance from such insane events.

I don't want anyone scratching my paint job. :angel:

I want to play as Persia during the Battle of the Thermopolae Nebula, my missiles will blot out the sun, and while they shall have shade to fight in, the Spartans will notice just before their deaths that my missiles blot not out just the local star, but that all stars in every direction are eclipsed by incoming missiles.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:I want to play as Persia during the Battle of the Thermopolae Nebula, my missiles will blot out the sun, and while they shall have shade to fight in, the Spartans will notice just before their deaths that my missiles blot not out just the local star, but that all stars in every direction are eclipsed by incoming missiles.
Wow :!: Nice addition, Hyperion, mental images abound. :thumbup: I think we may be upsetting the purists on the forums but I was never overly concerned with realism for LT. :D I have other games to look forward to for that fix. :mrgreen:

It's quite simple to blot out a star with missiles. Just pack really freaking big missiles. Alternatively, pack a single gigantic missile that has a special compartment for its target and picks it up on the way.

I'm speaking hypothetically, of course, but there would be a certain satisfaction in seeing my battleship launch a very rapid-moving missile that would entrap a cluster of tiny enemy fighters before speeding away and blowing up on an asteroid. I don't think my targets would stand a chance.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Bahahaha, a weapon that gobbles up a ship and drags it kicking and screaming into a certain death collision with an asteroid, planet, star, or another ship... would be like Saints Row in space. I want one... thousand million... :twisted:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

On Tanking Missiles
In games: "Shields up!"
in real life: Disposable ships.
My job is an electronics technician on one such disposable ship. their purpose is to act as a giant signature for missiles to target instead of an aircraft carrier. Our ship is entirely fitted out with deterents and point defense weapons. we have an engagement life expectancy of about 1 minute, 40 seconds.

side note: armor does not stop missiles. it just gives more metal to use as fragmentation.

Best missile defence I've seen in a game is the design of Minmatar ships in EVE online. those giant, seemingly superflous fins their ships have would act as a very visible and easily targetable feature for RADAR. If a missile hits one, it does next to no real damage because they're just fins.

In Limit Theory, if missiles are made as effective as in real life, the fleet idea used in real life would be a logical step. fly your fleets with a bunch of small, cheap, fast ships with the sole purpose of being targets for missiles and load them up with point defense weapons

Online Now