Return to “Suggestions”

Researchable Tech

I think it would be awesome if you could build research bases on planets to improve the tech you already have or invent completely new stuff. Maybe have a procedurally generated tech tree to go along with it? What do you guys think?
Re: Researchable Tech

Khezef wrote:I think it would be awesome if you could build research bases on planets to improve the tech you already have or invent completely new stuff. Maybe have a procedurally generated tech tree to go along with it? What do you guys think?
I mean, frankly, it is awesome...definitely makes the game extend even further into the RTS realm. But I'm not sure it is realistic in terms of dev time! I will have it in mind though...perhaps as an add-on after I release the base version of LT.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

If you want to go a more realistic rout most tech advancements wont be generated by the player, but propagated by the internal and external dynamics between large corporations, governments, and small organizations which the player is just one part of, even if they become a massive empire. I've also never been a large fan of what I call "incubation" research where the player plots down a building, puts in some resources, pick a tech they want from a menu and wait. It isn't very interesting gameplay to me. Sure, you can get fun toys out of it, but the research mechanic itself inst very exciting.

What I think would be a lot more interesting (and difficult to code) is how the player can influence that dynamic by regular participation in the universe. If you look at science fiction overall you have many visions on the tech of the universe: Battlestar Galactica was very carrier-fighter focused tech, Star Trek was cap ship focused, Babylon 5 was somewhere in the middle. Trade could be individual ships zipping around to their own locations picking up the best opportunity at that moment, or trade only really happens in larger caravans with set trade routes.

If the player becomes a strong enough force in the local universe in a particular way the NPCs could respond by developing better technology in a specific area and by altering their behaviors. If the player has a strong capital fleet, everyone else will push theirs at the expense of fighters. Or if caps are the way to go and the player begins doing well with small fast fighters (we can't target them with our turbo lasers!) then the npcs will slowly respond to that. If the player helps police the region and it is relatively safe, there could be a lot more independent trade. If the region is very hostile or a lot of pirates (even if the player is or isnt), then a lot more trade caravans.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

Procedural generated tech tree: It would be hard, but I would like it. Actually generating a new web could be hard, but generating an new starting point might be easier. You would create a tech-tree in the traditional sense, then create one point that that faction learned. The player might be able to chose. Once you had enough stuff, you could research along any branch you touched. A player that started off with kinetic weaponry might want to research more in the area of kinetics, getting missiles, MACs, and railguns better faster, and would have a while to go to reach better thrusters or lasers, and a longer way still to get better shields, and an even longer way to get to, say, wormhole drives. A person that started on the edge of cloaking and thrusters might lead to a stealthier playthrough than a person with kinetics and plating, and vice versa. Much easier than generating a tech-tree that makes sense and is random.
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

Why not use a Star trek inspired approach towards it (Which I and many other Sci-Fi fans love).

That means the best way to acquire technology is to explore the universe with an open mind and learn more as you go. One race/location might have very advanced lasers, another very advanced engines or shields.

It shouldn't be so hard to just implement basic linear tech levels on weapons and equipment and spread them out over all the stations, planets and anomalies (procedurally randomized of course).

Then as the players explore more they can buy, conquer or negotiate knowledge of gradually more and more advanced technology. Knowledge would then be needed both to be able to build, appraise (know value of it for trading) and to be able to retrofit equipment (you can use too advanced stuff if built into the ship from original manufacturing, but odds are the shipyard will not have good techs for everything!).

Have it balanced so that the most advanced level of something is extremely expensive (and well protected) and extremely rare (perhaps only one in ten thousand locations will have it).

As mentioned there could also be a type of research space station, that has higher chance to have cutting edge technology in one limited field of research at least.

Progression balance wise should probably be around 10-20% more effective per level advancement, with a maximum or around 5-10 levels. By doing it this way it won't take much development time (I hope) but still provide bonuses for all career paths that learn it. Career paths would all search for different techs, but all would be searching and exploring.

I believe this would go right with the game concept and provide rewards for exploration.

It's really something that would add so much value for me that I hope it could be done for the base game. It could even add a new career path, "You are a Scientist" You explore the universe in search of new technology and make a profit by selling knowledge and advanced components to those that pay you the most.

Keon wrote:Procedural generated tech tree: It would be hard, but I would like it. Actually generating a new web could be hard, but generating an new starting point might be easier. You would create a tech-tree in the traditional sense, then create one point that that faction learned. The player might be able to chose. Once you had enough stuff, you could research along any branch you touched. A player that started off with kinetic weaponry might want to research more in the area of kinetics, getting missiles, MACs, and railguns better faster, and would have a while to go to reach better thrusters or lasers, and a longer way still to get better shields, and an even longer way to get to, say, wormhole drives. A person that started on the edge of cloaking and thrusters might lead to a stealthier playthrough than a person with kinetics and plating, and vice versa. Much easier than generating a tech-tree that makes sense and is random.
Yes I like this idea. Sword of the stars had a cylindrical tech tree where if you researched sideways enough you would end up back at your starting tech. Going up in the cylinder would be the higher tiers.

Also, it would be cool if there was no limit of how many times you could upgrade something, but eventually the benefit would fade away next to the cost.

The first level might get you 10%, then the next 9.1%, and so on until you are only getting .00x percent per upgrade, to a final limit.
-Keon-

Keon wrote:The first level might get you 10%, then the next 9.1%, and so on until you are only getting .00x percent per upgrade, to a final limit.
Yeah, that's what happens automatically in a linear level system where you go from:

lvl 1: 100% efficiency
lvl 2: 110%
lvl 3: 120%
lvl 4: 130%

Because 120/110 = 1.091 (or +9.1%).
130/120 = 1.083 (or +8.3%), and so on.

Very easy to understand for players and each step while the same 10% absolute, will be less of an increase in relation to what you already have.
I guess this is why it's very popular in so many games :)

Ixos wrote:
Keon wrote:The first level might get you 10%, then the next 9.1%, and so on until you are only getting .00x percent per upgrade, to a final limit.
Yeah, that's what happens automatically in a linear level system where you go from:

lvl 1: 100% efficiency
lvl 2: 110%
lvl 3: 120%
lvl 4: 130%

Because 120/110 = 1.091 (or +9.1%).
130/120 = 1.083 (or +8.3%), and so on.

Very easy to understand for players and each step while the same 10% absolute, will be less of an increase in relation to what you already have.
I guess this is why it's very popular in so many games :)

Interesting. I don't know how that would work, but I think it makes sense then.
-Keon-

I do like the idea (and it might or might not have something to do with my infatuation towards a specific Sifi series....) but i like the idea of a star trek teck tree. some people are more advance some people less so. and you start some where in the lower middle of it all (or as some suggested let it be decided by fate.) personally id like a tech tree slider in the world gen options that let you decide wheere you begin. some days id probably like to claw my way to the top...others i might want to load a world climb into my star destroyer and well destroy some stars...
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:I do like the idea (and it might or might not have something to do with my infatuation towards a specific Sifi series....) but i like the idea of a star trek teck tree. some people are more advance some people less so. and you start some where in the lower middle of it all (or as some suggested let it be decided by fate.) personally id like a tech tree slider in the world gen options that let you decide wheere you begin. some days id probably like to claw my way to the top...others i might want to load a world climb into my star destroyer and well destroy some stars...
I dont know, a tech tree handicap might be too much. I think everyone should start that the bottom of the tech cylinder, but in a random position so the start will be different. Near the end all stuff will be researched so everyone's tech tree will be the same.

Khezef wrote:I dont know, a tech tree handicap might be too much. I think everyone should start that the bottom of the tech cylinder, but in a random position so the start will be different. Near the end all stuff will be researched so everyone's tech tree will be the same.
i dont like the idea of everyone being an ace of all spades. deciding on specific areas or tech advance ment could potentially make a huge difference in your play style. for instance miners would obviously research more powerful mining lasers and more efficient caro storage. but from there deciding on wether to focus on your enegen power or shields or even your main weapons withh change the way you face particular challenges. but If everyone can do everything at anytime...no one is unique and losing that uniqueness makes me sad. XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:
Khezef wrote:I dont know, a tech tree handicap might be too much. I think everyone should start that the bottom of the tech cylinder, but in a random position so the start will be different. Near the end all stuff will be researched so everyone's tech tree will be the same.
i dont like the idea of everyone being an ace of all spades. deciding on specific areas or tech advance ment could potentially make a huge difference in your play style. for instance miners would obviously research more powerful mining lasers and more efficient caro storage. but from there deciding on wether to focus on your enegen power or shields or even your main weapons withh change the way you face particular challenges. but If everyone can do everything at anytime...no one is unique and losing that uniqueness makes me sad. XD.

But thats the whole point, everyone CAN do everything. The point of the game is to be jack of all trades. I dont see a logical way to limit which areas you research, one that actually makes sense for gameplay.

Online Now