Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Colony Visual Design Concepts

I covered environmental hostility, tectonic hostility, rivers, and atmosphere... I could cover a few more. The idea behind the whole thing is that it's versatile, and you don't need to make a new algorithm just to cover a new planet type.

I suppose I should've added "temperature". No clue what to do for "ocean"... lol

HKY09 - Nope. No examples. I'd REALLY like to see it in action, but at this point it would be a bit difficult to throw anything together quickly. At least for me... you've seen my work and how much of a perfectionist I am. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Ahhhhhh. Atlantis. Well, that would be simple enough - you just "build" the city over the water, and instead of parks? Open ocean. Ditch the trees, I guess - unless you want to do an interesting mix and have parks + open ocean patches.

With this picture something else interesting emerges: Triangular city blocks. Though... as to what factors would create these, I'm not sure.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I think Josh has radial symetry figured out... (Node interface) ;)

Ps. oh I was thinking... this would make for some great street layouts for the more Agressive/independant colonies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram
I've seen Voronoi noise used on other fractal/procedural programs.
Last edited by N810 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Yes, these are superb, Hyperion.

Unfortunately, I can't recall what was decided on as far as colonies are concerned. How much detail are we going to get? It's a certainty we won't be getting the rich canvas that we see in SC. Perhaps we will get something similar to Freelancer without the character models but maybe some flying objects. All I remember being shown was a basic visit to these places in an early concept that Josh had for planet-based establishments. It consisted of arriving on a planet with maybe (or maybe not) a touch of atmospheric flying and landing outside these structures. His game mechanic for entering was based on a similar idea that Freelancer used but with a little extra variety in the places you could visit.

These are great backdrops for that activity, Hyperion, but I'd love to have some further detail about the idea the LT Team has for this part of the game.

Has it changed, have I missed some revelations concerning this aspect of the game? :?

I'm not in the loop anymore so I know as much as anyone who cares to visit these forums. :angel:

Online Now