Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Colony Visual Design Concepts

Didn't see this til now - my mistake. Those look really good! While he does have some other great stuff, I think that particular picture looks best for a really gritty-looking colony. (love that gritty feel.)

And maybe we'll see some colony content this month - if not with visuals, then at least with options and things to do on the surface - ship repairs, ship purchasing, etc.

Which reminds me. Am I the only one that thinks the current stations are far too small? They wouldn't house a single ship at the size we commonly see.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Funny -- for me, the "gorgeous renders" don't look like planets. They look like parasitic growths on a asphalt highway. (The depth-of-field effect is for close-ups, not for big objects seen from very far away.)

The colors are interesting, though, and could inspire some plant life on othef worlds in LT that's very unlike our real-world Earth plants. I wouldn't object to that.

Flatfingers wrote:Funny -- for me, the "gorgeous renders" don't look like planets. They look like parasitic growths on a asphalt highway. (The depth-of-field effect is for close-ups, not for big objects seen from very far away.)

The colors are interesting, though, and could inspire some plant life on othef worlds in LT that's very unlike our real-world Earth plants. I wouldn't object to that.
They look the same to me. It first I thought they were fungi or something... :lol:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Yeah, I agree that these particular renders look more microscopic than anything, but the idea was more to take inspiration from other procedural-type images. I think with some minor modifications in presentation, they could easily fit on the surface of a planet. On second thought, more than cities, these make me want planets with a "crystalline" biome. Imagine a whole planet that looks like the fortress of solitude :shock:

I made this a while back in under five minutes... simple stuff. It's just really tall greebles. Image If you added a texture to them instead of just a material, then a few other minor details, it might look really good. The polycount was pretty low, too. Of course you'd probably want to tweak it more than that - the buildings look kind of tall/crowded. But at least it shows it's easy enough to procedurally generate city landscapes.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I made this a while back in under five minutes... simple stuff. It's just really tall greebles. Image If you added a texture to them instead of just a material, then a few other minor details, it might look really good. The polycount was pretty low, too. Of course you'd probably want to tweak it more than that - the buildings look kind of tall/crowded. But at least it shows it's easy enough to procedurally generate city landscapes.
I love this! Greebles make everything better! Chances are, this is the type of stuff Josh would love. It not only re-uses greebling, but it applies it to something very novel for city landscapes.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

My ideal colony image would be a bit complex, and I wouldn't expect it anyways. However, colonies, as seen from space, should look something like this
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Talvieno wrote:A fiery explosion with pieces of shrapnel flung into space? I love it! :thumbup:
No, well, sortof. That is the launch of a space shuttle, as seen from the space station.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:My ideal colony image would be a bit complex, and I wouldn't expect it anyways. However, colonies, as seen from space, should look something like this
Spoiler:      SHOW
This has got to be one of the best images I've ever seen. That looks so freaking epic.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hyperion wrote:
Talvieno wrote:A fiery explosion with pieces of shrapnel flung into space? I love it! :thumbup:
No, well, sortof. That is the launch of a space shuttle, as seen from the space station.
I know. I thought I'd make a joke... which apparently failed miserably. :P

For a game other than LT, I'd love it, but we don't have thruster smoke in LT, and I doubt we're going to be attaching large tanks of fuel to our ships to get them into space... cool as that would be.

Online Now