Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Game Modes

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Idunno wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Useless complication
I coined the term over here. :ghost:
i guess josh's coining counts more than yours :roll:
You don't say... :silent:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Hyperion wrote:Shock and Guffaw
Being violent doesn't cause people to fear you, it causes them to laugh at you and take you less seriously. They will treat you less and less like a threat the more you kill, laughing historically as you erase them from existence, but don't be too passive, that will terrify them... It's always the silent ones you should be afraid of. Applies to AI too.
Everyone would be $h!t1^& their pants whenever Fresh V stops by at a system. :P
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Once the game come out I kinda want to see modders mess with the starts. I've seen a couple that look extremely fun

Desolate:

NPCs and stations are extremely rare.
livable planets are rare.
resources and zones are rare and far apart.
repairs are extremely expensive.

Pariah

You start with a decent cruiser in a hostile universe. Hardcore only.

Once more into the breach

wormholes have random end destinations.
My art: http://starryspelunker.deviantart.com/

You start with a decent cruiser in a hostile universe. Hardcore only.
Blowing my own horn here, but: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3578 could work as a fleshed out version of the 'hostile universe' idea.
StarrySpelunker wrote:
Once more into the breach

wormholes have random end destinations.
And its sister mode,
Once more onto the beach

No weapons, ramming only

Hmm, what additional modes will be possible with all those possible mods? :think:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:Hmm, what additional modes will be possible with all those possible mods? :think:
mod-mode

Imagine a mode that procedurally generates mods

At the very least it would mean dynamically tweaking values on a moving timescale. Now that would be psychedelic

Scytale wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Hmm, what additional modes will be possible with all those possible mods? :think:
mod-mode

Imagine a mode that procedurally generates mods

At the very least it would mean dynamically tweaking values on a moving timescale. Now that would be psychedelic
A game that rewrites its own rules as you play? :wtf: That's brilliant!

Considering that LT can already handle real time scripting, what about a game that rewrites its algorithms, or selects semi-randomly any number of viable algorithms for all sorts of things from ship structure to universe generation to color grading... If the rules are always changing in the very way the world is built, you may never realistically know what is coming. with that in mind...

Parallel Worlds
Every system has a different set of rules governing it's generation. However, each particular system has the rules chosen by the seed, so at least on some scale, it remains coherent, in that if you go back to the system later, those rules still apply there. However, what happens to travelers between systems if the AI plays by different rules in either system, do they keep their native behavior or is it translated into the new rules, or rewritten entirely?

Would be particularly interesting in combinations with other modes like Johnny Wormholeseed...

God plays Dice
In either regular or random intervals, a random number of variables (which possible one's are pre-selected outside the game) change by a random amount. So suddenly all ships go really slow, but research in transfer beams is really fast, or suddenly all the ships are twice as large and look funny.

Varietas in Varietas
The rules and variables of non-structural aspects of the game vary from location to location, but it is a gradual shift as you move through the game, with variables only changing very slightly between any two systems. But in some areas of space, fuel is more efficient, in others guns do more damage, in others nebulae are more or less hazardous, in others frequencies for the same object are different, in others research is slower...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:Varietas in Varietas
The rules and variables of non-structural aspects of the game vary from location to location, but it is a gradual shift as you move through the game, with variables only changing very slightly between any two systems. But in some areas of space, fuel is more efficient, in others guns do more damage, in others nebulae are more or less hazardous, in others frequencies for the same object are different, in others research is slower...
I've liked that idea for a while now. The main question I have is the practicality of duplicating a lot of the physical constants of the universe for every star system. You could simplify that by just letting one or two constants drift between any two systems, though.

We knocked around some other thoughts on this a while back, but I wouldn't mind it getting more attention in light of LTSL and today's really enthusiastic devlog. :)

Online Now