Return to “Suggestions”

Re: UI

Lum wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:
Lum wrote:It was a joke Talvieno. Maybe not a good one, but I have an excuse: the beauty in the background! :shh:
The first one, hands down. :lol:
That's another joke, right? I can't tell...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

The main things to remember with Josh Parnell's ideas concerning the UI is that it needs to be almost instinctive to use but, for those who need or want it, it should have the necessary depth and complexity to satisfy.

I'm in the instinctive, minimalist, simple and straightforward camp on this one. So the less fiddling about I have to do and the easier it is to forget all the in depth stuff, the happier I'm going to be. If Josh can improve on what I had in Freelancer I will be a more than satisfied spacefarer. What I've seen so far leads me to believe this is one area of the game I don't need to be anxious about. :D

I do understand that other members require something very different in their games and genuinely hope Josh can meet your requirements. But as Chris Roberts pointed out, "You can't please everybody". :P

Victor Tombs wrote:The main things to remember with Josh Parnell's ideas concerning the UI is that it needs to be almost instinctive to use but, for those who need or want it, it should have the necessary depth and complexity to satisfy.

I'm in the instinctive, minimalist, simple and straightforward camp on this one. So the less fiddling about I have to do and the easier it is to forget all the in depth stuff, the happier I'm going to be. If Josh can improve on what I had in Freelancer I will be a more than satisfied spacefarer. What I've seen so far leads me to believe this is one area of the game I don't need to be anxious about. :D

I do understand that other members require something very different in their games and genuinely hope Josh can meet your requirements. But as Chris Roberts pointed out, "You can't please everybody". :P
Aye, I agree completely. This is all very true. I merely got attached to the old UI - I did stare at it for close to a year, after all.

I'm not going to be able to play the finished game anyway - no way for me to buy it - so pleasing me shouldn't really be a priority to begin with. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I'm not going to be able to play the finished game anyway - no way for me to buy it - so pleasing me shouldn't really be a priority to begin with. :P
:eh: You're joking, surely you're joking, Talvieno? Why can't you buy it? :cry: It won't be expensive like E:D and SC. Josh will be asking a reasonable price for his masterpiece.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I'm not going to be able to play the finished game anyway - no way for me to buy it - so pleasing me shouldn't really be a priority to begin with. :P
:eh: You're joking, surely you're joking, Talvieno? Why can't you buy it? :cry: It won't be expensive like E:D and SC. Josh will be asking a reasonable price for his masterpiece.
:P No, not joking... I'm in a sort of weird situation. I guess I could PM you about it. I'm basically stuck at home, can't leave, and don't have a bank account/credit card/any money coming in.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Talvieno wrote: :P No, not joking... I'm in a sort of weird situation. I guess I could PM you about it. I'm basically stuck at home, can't leave, and don't have a bank account/credit card/any money coming in.
2 possibilities:

Imprisoned

Married with oppressive woman

:lol:
It's the first, basically. :P Let's not derail this thread, though.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ravener96 wrote: Can we all just take a moment and aprechiate the ridiculus amounts of space this relatively small list takes up?
Can we stop a moment and agree on the known alpha state of the interface and that this is just a proof of concept list that will change with 100% certainity (-+ quantum uncertainity)
the plan isnt for this to stay alfa for too long iirc. i dont try to force josh to do this now, but it should stay in mind as development goes on. it is also part of the point of this thread to discuss the benefits and misgivings of the ui josh has shown so far, and it does have benefits outside of being pretty damn beutiful.

ravener96 wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ravener96 wrote: Can we all just take a moment and aprechiate the ridiculus amounts of space this relatively small list takes up?
Can we stop a moment and agree on the known alpha state of the interface and that this is just a proof of concept list that will change with 100% certainity (-+ quantum uncertainity)
the plan isnt for this to stay alfa for too long iirc. i dont try to force josh to do this now, but it should stay in mind as development goes on. it is also part of the point of this thread to discuss the benefits and misgivings of the ui josh has shown so far, and it does have benefits outside of being pretty damn beutiful.
He did say in the video that it still needed polish. I wasn't talking about the lists in particular - just the black rectangular background - which he said he wanted to stay.

and aye, most of what he has is pretty freaking beautiful.

Then i hope to josh he makes it so the ui can be modded away/customized the living shit out of. I'm not saying it will be a bad ui, but it definitly doesent work for everyone. I myself would like to see something closing on eve more than these boxes, but that might just be me.

Online Now