Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Pareidolic Icons

http://imgur.com/a/QaLOG#6

I am playing with keeping the same color for multiple lines and then modulating it slightly using a random-walk. Right now it's a position random walk, but I think it might look better if I did this to the delta-color/delta-t (colorvelocity?)

Still, I think it's an improvement over the random color earlier, what do you all think?
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

Keon, that's brilliant! We may not need to model actual faces at all - our minds seem to pick out faces by themselves. It also allows for a far greater number of unique, distinctive icons.

N810: Very pretty... Very pretty. Now I'm wondering how much of an impact that level of detail would have on the game's silky smoothness...
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I suspect it was from one of the high end fractal renderers... probaly took 30-90 minutes to render...
(got it from some wallpaper depot) :lol:

But a thumbnail size version wouldn't take very long... 8-)

Edit: from the link below I realized that the program was Apophysis :thumbup:
http://www.apophysis.org/ <- not much of a webpage
Last edited by N810 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Keon, I love it!

N810, also very pretty, reminds me of some electric sheepI've seen. Apophyis does some amazing stuff
Talvieno wrote:Keon, that's brilliant! We may not need to model actual faces at all - our minds seem to pick out faces by themselves. It also allows for a far greater number of unique, distinctive icons.
That's the idea :D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

N810 wrote:ohhhh..
This is awesome.
Keon wrote:Edit: Why not? Here's 20 more so you can get a better idea of what they look like:
http://imgur.com/a/ejrMt#4
These are really cool too. I'm going to love looking at the source. I also realized I'm more likely to see a pair of breasts than eyes. :wtf:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:I also realized I'm more likely to see a pair of breasts than eyes. :wtf:
I had some friends take a look at these, and they said the same thing :roll: I don't know if there's an easy solution but Hyperion's icons certainly don't do that. I've broke a bunch of the code to try and get transparancy working but will upload soon.

Hyperion, totally unrelated question and probably off topic, but what is your project that you designed these for? I can't find any info about it but the idea of entities communicating through icons like these is certainly interesting.)
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

They grew out of some avatar experimentation I was playing with in the game Second Life (which offers some surprisingly good insights as to how people will present themselves when they can look like absolutely anything... usually it's boring pop reference or "pretty with a dash of duckface"). From there it is primarily the result of rather philosophical inquiry into the nature of communication.

The beings in my project come from a story I am working on, where they exist in multiple realities, the real as well as many virtual ones with different rules and physics. Their brains are split among these realities and networked together, and any of them share the very structure of their brains with only a few others, let alone the particulars of each individual. Because of these complications of neuro-anatomy, communication can be a difficult task, much like trying to explain Color to someone who was born without eyes, or explaining how the word "several" tastes like wood, But the word "seven" tastes like an orange because you have synesthesia.

These beings are fully aware that humanity as we know ourselves can simply not understand them as they really are, but they also do not care to dress up an avatar to look like us. To give familiarity and still ensure that the alien nature of their thinking is still present in their communication with us, they choose this approach for their appearance.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now