Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Modifying a vessel

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Idunno wrote: With my idea you will only need a production module if you intend to modify the ship as a whole or you intend to modify a capital ship. If you intend to modify a sub-capital ship's hard points the modification module does the work with some input of raw materials. :ghost:
why some special module for doing something an production module can also do?
Because a production module requires an assembly chip to do most of its work. The modification module does not produce an assembly chip nor does it produce a prototype. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Cornflakes_91 wrote:a production module needs an assembly chip to produce new equipment.

it would be the most useless factory in history if it cannot do anything without that special little chips....
Huh? Assemblers (or in the still-canon case, assembly chips) are consumed with each manufactured product.

Assembly chips replace the concept of blueprints in the May 7th dev log:
JoshParnell wrote:Blueprints are programmed to self-destruct after a run, since the owner of the corresponding prototype does not want to give away unlimited license to produce the item. In this way, you can alternatively think of a blueprint as a license to produce a single instance of the item.

ThymineC wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:a production module needs an assembly chip to produce new equipment.

it would be the most useless factory in history if it cannot do anything without that special little chips....
Huh? Assemblers (or in the still-canon case, assembly chips) are consumed with each manufactured product.
i dont say that they dont get consumed.

but the production module should still be able to produce generic things that you have not an assembly chip from.
like something you designed yourself in a CAD tool, for an modification

edit: they embody the DRM-ed construction data you get from someone else, but they should still be able to work as generic 3D printers without them.
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ThymineC wrote:

i dont say that they dont get consumed.

but the production module should still be able to produce generic things that you have not an assembly chip from.
like something you designed yourself in a CAD tool, for an modification
JoshParnell wrote:Every production process now requires a consumable blueprint.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Every production process now requires a consumable blueprint.
sigh.

im not talking about in-game production of goods.

im talking about lore-wise using it as general purpose 3D printer for things like maintainance supplies or spare parts
Possibly.

ThymineC wrote: Possibly.
i dont know what to do with that response.

what i was trying to say was:
as you are doing all your modification yourself there may be no fixed blueprint that you keep after you are done.
you basically do an quick design of the part you need, put the data into the production module, press "run" and take the finished part out to weld it onto your ship.

that part is never an independent entity in the game, its abstracted in the game's "modifying" loading bar that runs down when you modify your ship

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ThymineC wrote: Possibly.
i dont know what to do with that response.

what i was trying to say was:
as you are doing all your modification yourself there may be no fixed blueprint that you keep after you are done.
you basically do an quick design of the part you need, put the data into the production module, press "run" and take the finished part out to weld it onto your ship.

that part is never an independent entity in the game, its abstracted in the game's "modifying" loading bar that runs down when you modify your ship
Oh I'm not thinking about modification, sorry. I'm not really sold on any modification module yet.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ThymineC wrote: Oh I'm not thinking about modification, sorry. I'm not really sold on any modification module yet.
thats what im arguing.

it should not take any special "modification module"
everything you should need is an production module, resources and time.
maybe an hangar bay to do your DIY patchwork
Well I don't even know about modification yet. I thought the idea so far was that you just install and uninstall modules into your vessel at a shipyard.

ThymineC wrote: Well I don't even know about modification yet. I thought the idea so far was that you just install and uninstall modules into your vessel at a shipyard.

from what i think modification is something different from slotting modules into your ship.

modification is basically what Han Solo did to the milennium falcon.
he did not just replace some modular parts.
he gradually rebuilt the ship and improved its specs far beyond what it was intended for by the manufacturer.

basically an intermediate step between buying a new ship and designing completely yourself.

you take a ship and do some tinkering on it yourself.

The R&D of pirates and smugglers.

that was the whole point of this suggestion thread

Cornflakes_91 wrote:basically an intermediate step between buying a new ship and designing completely yourself.
An intermediate step between swapping out modules.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:that was the whole point of this suggestion thread
Yes I know this was the point of the suggestion thread, but I don't agree with any of it so far, meaning I don't yet see a necessity for letting production modules produce things without assemblers/assembly chips. I'm undecided.

ThymineC wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:basically an intermediate step between buying a new ship and designing completely yourself.
An intermediate step between swapping out modules.
it would be basically your idea of sub-components and switching them out.
you take your already working device and change something about it.
ThymineC wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:that was the whole point of this suggestion thread
Yes I know this was the point of the suggestion thread, but I don't agree with any of it so far, meaning I don't yet see a necessity for letting production modules produce things without assemblers/assembly chips. I'm undecided.
you'd not be producing anything.
you stuff in your old object, press "change something" and get your changed object out.

nothing produced there.

Online Now