Return to “Suggestions”

Re: LT Wiki

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
N-Joy wrote:But why not now?
because there isnt enough game to make a wiki about
1. In my opinion there is enough to spare
  • what the game is currently capable
  • Ships: Which sizes are there, how do they work (hardpoints, moduls, etc)
  • NPC / AI / Quests: How do they work, how does the AI manage itself
  • LTSL: Reference Page (with known syntaxes) (!!!)
  • LT / LTSL: general overview of all scripts, how they interact with each other
  • etc etc ... there is enough in the dev-logs to fill several pages
  • etc etc ... and of course informations from the forum itself
2. A wiki doesn't need to be full right from the beginnig. No, i even think it is kinda contra-productive. I don't want to fill 300+ pages in one big block but now and then a page is not a problem.
:D

I wouldn't mind a wiki for LT... but I'll say right now that I have approximately zip point zero interest in visiting one based on either Wikia or UESPwiki.

Those sites are so unmercifully clogged with ads, including the unspeakably rude automatically-playing video ads, that it's just not worth it to visit them. No information is interesting or useful enough to make slogging through all the high-bandwidth and pop-up crap worthwhile. I have no problem with ads to pay for hosting, but there's a limit. The advertising on those wiki platforms is so over-the-top it's not even funny.

Just a personal view.

I agree that LT needs an official wiki. Minecraft didn't have one, now the unofficial wiki has changed hands 3 times already and is being called official regardless because of partnerships.

Josh doesn't need to do anything but to enable the subdomain and install mediawiki. I'm sure interested members of the community can take it from there.

If Josh really doesn't like this idea, I'd be happy to host a unofficial wiki for free and without advertisements. The way I see it, the content of an unofficial wiki belongs to the posters, and wouldn't be mine to sell for a cash grab. If my servers ever can't handle the traffic, we'll see about getting some form of income to keep it running.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Personally I'd love to see a wiki at least regarding modding. The reason modding hasn't yet been added into the main FAQ is because my wordsmithing isn't up to the task. I know we need that in there, but if we could reference a more comprehensive compendium of knowledge, I could link it. If it isn't too long of an entry, I can always add another post to the FAQ thread that has all the modding information.

But as it stands now, a 3rd party source might be the best location for it.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

The DwarfFortressWiki (or MagmaWiki, as it used to be called) is an indispensable resource for modding. The LT wiki could become that way too, but I'd like to see some vanilla statistics in there as well - planetary types, system types, uses of jump holes, strategy and tips, chances of seeing X in X systems, etc.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I dont oppose building a wiki, but in the current state of flux or even non existence of content in LT it would be pointless to build a wiki right now, as we had to revise it multiple times until beta release, and between beta and full release all pages would be in permanent [last edited 1 day ago] state.

Build up infrastructure, get the webspace, but everything else is wasted effort at the moment

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I dont oppose building a wiki, but in the current state of flux or even non existence of content in LT it would be pointless to build a wiki right now, as we had to revise it multiple times until beta release, and between beta and full release all pages would be in permanent [last edited 1 day ago] state.

Build up infrastructure, get the webspace, but everything else is wasted effort at the moment
Well, even if everything changes - in my opinion it's not a waste of time. And it is nice to see history in some points, how they develope.
I'll give it a try and if it is too unsteady (which i asume it will not happen) i set it to rest till the game is finished
Katorone wrote:Right now I'm in the process of a hardware upgrade. Expect a basic wiki set up in the course of next week.
Great! If this doesn't work out for you, i can give it a try on my domain (but it's name/link is not optimum)
Flatfingers wrote:I wouldn't mind a wiki for LT... but I'll say right now that I have approximately zip point zero interest in visiting one based on either Wikia or UESPwiki.
Those sites are so unmercifully clogged with ads, including the unspeakably rude automatically-playing video ads, that it's just not worth it to visit them. No information is interesting or useful enough to make slogging through all the high-bandwidth and pop-up crap worthwhile. I have no problem with ads to pay for hosting, but there's a limit. The advertising on those wiki platforms is so over-the-top it's not even funny.
Mh, to be honest that is the reason why i only surf with adblock. There are a few sites on which i deactivate it but most of the time i surf without commercials. Surfing without ABP is just a pain in the ... neck.
DWMagus wrote:Personally I'd love to see a wiki at least regarding modding. The reason modding hasn't yet been added into the main FAQ is because my wordsmithing isn't up to the task.
Yeah, for me it is the main reason too. I'd like to start "the work" before the game launches - but sorting all information from the forum is exhausting.
And we can start creating a reference site / guide for LTSL.
And on the wiki it is so easy to manage, one extra site for each mod.

Katorone wrote:Right now I'm in the process of a hardware upgrade. Expect a basic wiki set up in the course of next week.
An innocent question: I'm curious how it's going on with the wiki. Did you have time to set it up? Can i help?
I wanna help (At least with content), because i think having a wiki does make the information flow a lot of easier. (oh i'm having a bad grammar day)

The hardware update is taking a bit longer because I decided to switch to centOS from Ubuntu. I'll set up the wiki tomorrow on one of my backup machines on a temporary URL. Moving it afterwards shouldn't be too hard. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now