Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Communications Gameplay in Limit Theory

I'd not make the first hop such a steep cost.
After all, why should it take 5 minutes for an order to get through a wormhole i can jump through with zero delay?

And the delays should also depend on the infrastructure thats available.

Do i have a shortish route in hops available?
Is there any friendly/owned infrastructure along the way?

Do i have a short route with straight-line-FTL comms available? (For when something gets cut off because its on the other end of an unstable wormhole)
Is there any infrastructure that could take the straight line ftl coms and relay it through the wormhole network?

With wormhole com speed > straight line ftl com speed.

How good is the command crew at the other end?

All of that could modulate the response time up or down.

Lyyrae wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:if im allied with them, and share sensor data with them, why didnt i know what ship that is before i contacted it explicitly?
if not, why dont i have to do the same thing with my own ships?
Well, you did not know it was there and neither did it. You flew into a system without knowing the position of any ship/station so you would need to find someone (preferable someone with good sensors) to get system information.
And yes, everything I wrote would also apply to your own ships/assets. (In retroperspective, this all is a flawed idea... :? )
it could be that way for everyone but not for the general case.

say you go outside of general communications range and come back.
you have to go to some friendly ship/station and reestablish the communications links.

after you have "actualised your encryption codes" or whatever normal instant/fast (interstellar) communcations work without explicit handshaking again.

fork from here

Cornflakes_91 wrote:it could be that way for everyone but not for the general case.

say you go outside of general communications range and come back.
you have to go to some friendly ship/station and reestablish the communications links.

after you have "actualised your encryption codes" or whatever normal instant/fast (interstellar) communcations work without explicit handshaking again.
So that like 90% of your fleet are in contact range with each other and only a couple of ships and scouts doing recon losing contact.

I just hope the final system in Limit Theory does not allow for "suicide-recon", but instead requires you to get the scouts out of enemy territory to get intel.

Yeah. But...I mean, you use wormholes as a travel method. I mean, today quantum links are already a think, and there a signal transfer is instant. I mean, they are so far advanced that they know how to use wormholes to travel. They sure know how to establish a quantum communication network. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I mean, today quantum links are already a think, and there a signal transfer is instant.
no. theres not.
theres identical noise on both ends.
theres no usable communication
What do you mean by that?
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Yeah, but I'm talking about quantum teleportation and the instant transportation of information. Isn't that like...a thing? I thought it was...

What you are talking about is quantum cryptography. And information encrypted with cryptography is still bound to the speed of light.
Nothing to see here

JanB1 wrote:Yeah, but I'm talking about quantum teleportation and the instant transportation of information. Isn't that like...a thing? I thought it was...

What you are talking about is quantum cryptography. And information encrypted with cryptography is still bound to the speed of light.
its the same thing.
:P
all you transfer is an identical die cast

you need a classical communications channel to use the information you "instantly" transfer.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JanB1 wrote:Yeah, but I'm talking about quantum teleportation and the instant transportation of information. Isn't that like...a thing? I thought it was...

its the same thing.
:P
all you transfer is an identical die cast

you need a classical communications channel to use the information you "instantly" transfer.
:think:

I think I or you are missing something there...
Nothing to see here

Online Now