PCG Currency

Have a great idea for the game? We'd love to hear it!

PCG Currency

Postby Draglide12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 pm

So, given Josh's existing excellent economic models, I don't imagine it would be very difficult to have randomly generated currencies based on factions as well. A majority may use a united currency, but this may not always be the case.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!
User avatar
Draglide12
Commander
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am

Re: PCG Currency

Postby ThymineC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm pretty good with universal currency, I think.
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: PCG Currency

Postby Draglide12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Well given the freedom of the market as it is now, I'm confident we will see inflation and deflation. Destabilizing economy in a large way could hurt the faction doing it. I don't know. Maybe it isn't really necessary.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!
User avatar
Draglide12
Commander
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am

Re: PCG Currency

Postby DWMagus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Thought this sounded familiar. I had to do some digging to find these references.

If the idea is to NOT have a universal currency, then that was disccused quite a bit here and here. Not to mention, Josh's dev log here.

I know these aren't a direct relation, but the information therein is close enough.

What it comes down to, is universal currency is a gamey mechanic needed for gameplay.

At the same time, it is in an economic's power best-interest to be able to trade between them, regardless of currency. Since this is true, I'd assume that races that are smart enough to reach space and co-habitate with other races, they probably are smart enough to create some sort of standardized currency that everyone can use. Of course, that's just my way of getting around the suspension of disbelief.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5091
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: PCG Currency

Postby Grumblesaur » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm

So given a universal currency, is it just going to be "credits", or will it have a PCG name for each unique seed?

And further from there, will it have a set or PCG symbol like $, ¥, or €?
User avatar
Grumblesaur
Moderator
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Re: PCG Currency

Postby ThymineC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Grumblesaur wrote:So given a universal currency, is it just going to be "credits", or will it have a PCG name for each unique seed?

And further from there, will it have a set or PCG symbol like $, ¥, or €?

Good question. I'd be pretty happy with it just being called "credits" all the time.

As a side note, what should the symbol of credits be? I'd be alright to see, for instance, "10,000 cr." displayed on the markets, but a unique symbol might be interesting.
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: PCG Currency

Postby Talvieno » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm

§
not really, that's taken... but I like the idea. maybe just a C at the end.

1000c


edit: ThymineC ninja'd me.

And I too want a universal currency, because otherwise this stops being a game and becomes an economics simulation.
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!
User avatar
Talvieno
Community Manager
 
Posts: 8188
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: North GA, USA

Re: PCG Currency

Postby kidpython » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 pm

ThymineC wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:As a side note, what should the symbol of credits be? I'd be alright to see, for instance, "10,000 cr." displayed on the markets, but a unique symbol might be interesting.


Since all the factions are space faring but not necessarily human, we need a symbol that all beings can relate to. How about '*' given that stars are pretty necessary for life.

So one * could represent the value of the amount of energy that a planet receives from a typical main sequence star during the time it takes light to travel in a vacumn from the surface of that star to a typical planet. Using the Earth and Sun as a typical planet and star, that works out to 125 'quads' of BTU which, it so happens, is roughly comparable to the 400 'quads' of energy that are consummed annually by all humans at this juncture in history.
kidpython
Ensign
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: PCG Currency

Postby ThymineC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm

kidpython wrote:So one * could represent the value of the amount of energy that a planet receives from a typical main sequence star during the time it takes light to travel in a vacumn from the surface of that star to a typical planet. Using the Earth and Sun as a typical planet and star, that works out to 125 'quads' of BTU which, it so happens, is roughly comparable to the 400 'quads' of energy that are consummed annually by all humans at this juncture in history.

For people that prefer sensible systems of measurement:

125 quads of BTU = 1.32*1020 J
400 quads of BTU = 4.22*1020 J
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: PCG Currency

Postby DWMagus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other greek symbol.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5091
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: PCG Currency

Postby ThymineC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

DWMagus wrote:I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other greek symbol.

Theta's quite an attractive symbol. I wouldn't mind a Greek symbol I don't think.
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: PCG Currency

Postby DWMagus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm

ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other Greek symbol.

Theta's quite an attractive symbol. I wouldn't mind a Greek symbol I don't think.


I was always a fan of a lower-case phi myself, but couldn't find it on my charmap, and saying "Phi" could also sound like "Fee" so I doubt that would work. :lol:
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5091
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: PCG Currency

Postby ThymineC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm

DWMagus wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other Greek symbol.

Theta's quite an attractive symbol. I wouldn't mind a Greek symbol I don't think.


I was always a fan of a lower-case phi myself, but couldn't find it on my charmap

clicky φ :ghost:

ThymineC wrote:and saying "Phi" could also sound like "Fee" so I doubt that would work. :lol:

I'm quite fond of capital omega as well: 250,000 Ω
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: PCG Currency

Postby Gazz » Thu May 01, 2014 2:22 am

ThymineC wrote:I'm quite fond of capital omega as well: 250,000 Ω

I think there would be quite a bit of resistance to that.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
User avatar
Gazz
Moderator
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: PCG Currency

Postby Grumblesaur » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 am

Gazz wrote:
ThymineC wrote:I'm quite fond of capital omega as well: 250,000 Ω

I think there would be quite a bit of resistance to that.


Image
User avatar
Grumblesaur
Moderator
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Next

Return to Suggestions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests