Return to “Suggestions”

tutorial idea?

Silly me, I commented on this in the wrong place:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=170&p=2447#p2444
Beetle wrote:When you spawn in the first place you've got to be given a ship and stuff, right? Perhaps you should spawn in a space station or something and have to work to earn enough credits to leave. Could be integrated with some sort of tutorial system whereby the owners of the station lend you a ship and tell you how to use it. It might be a repair ship, for example, and they might require you to repair the outside of the station or something. Then again, it might be a mining ship and they might require you to mine. Or take out the garbage. Or anything. Of course it would be procedurally generated to be slightly different each time.

Then when you respawn you would have to go through the same tedious malarkey all over again, except it would be quicker because 1) it would be less styled like a tutorial, ie. with hover-tips and stuff and more just that you have to work for your pay and 2) you would know how to do everything already. And also it would be interesting on account of being slightly different to last time. And having a disincentive for dying is no bad thing anyway.
-- Beetle
Re: Perma death

I was hoping someone would post this, if you didn't, I was going to. I'm with you, not with everyone else, that they would indeed be separate characters with no affiliation with each other whatsoever. :lol:
"Though we've heard of the stupid haste in war, cleverness was never associated with long delays." -Sun Tzu

Ringo wrote:@Zenton
You mean like a persistent feud where the AI factions will remember the grudge they had with a now dead (previous incarnation if you will) player?

If so I am not sure I like it. Imagine if in the past game the player was powerful enough to launch an all out war and came close to wiping out several factions, only to lose to some mistake or unexpected turn in the battle? And when the player is 'revived' all those factions go after him? Not fun.

And I do not like perma death myself except when playing rogue-likes, cos death becomes an accepted feature.
That's why it's optional.

im thinking Dwarf-fortress death mode. wherein you die comeback as someone else (or load a old save) and explore your system from another perspective with a growing history (lore) filled with things the other incarnation of you did.

you would have a whole new reputation funds ship basically a brand new person. just playing in a developed universe.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

here is a thought that has been rolling around in my head

Lineage Death, Multiple Characters

Characters do not represent individuals, but instead the successor to a lineage. Once one character is forced to leave play whether from death or old age, their successor is automatically assumed to take over. Additionally, every 25-30 in-game years players may choice to retire and appoint a successor otherwise when they die there eldest offspring will be appointed if player has more then one child. were each successive generation builds upon the prior generations achievements. genocide becomes a viable tactic...

-Avarince

*this thought is a work in progress and is posted with a ton of caffeine in my system

I like your disclaimer...it could pretty much apply to everything I say or do around here ;)

As for the idea, I'm not sure I understand the practical implications? So what happens when you die? You just "respawn," so to speak, as your child or something? Just curious how this works in practice/what would actually happen and how the player would see this system in place.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:As for the idea, I'm not sure I understand the practical implications? So what happens when you die? You just "respawn," so to speak, as your child or something? Just curious how this works in practice/what would actually happen and how the player would see this system in place.
yes you would just respawn as the child where ever you currently have them(may want to make sure to keep them safe)
here are some of the implications:
if you have no off spring your game ends so a variation on a hardcore mode.
with the faction system this could hurt change standings since their beloved(hated) leader(oppressor) is now gone.
a sibling believes they are the rightful heir causing civil war within your faction..

as my disclaimer pointed out it was work in progress primary for a pnp game i am running.. but this is just a gimmick and I should just grow a clone and not worry about kids...

I am not really sure whether the kids idea would suit the freeplay nature of the game. It would be pretty much forcing you to do something when you would rather be exploring a unknown planet. I wouldn't mind if it was optional and you just re-spawned normally without them but I would find it a bit restricting if it was the only way of re-spawning.

I like the idea of adding something onto death rather than just re-spawning but it needs to be very open. < If that makes any sense :D
Limit Theory - The most beast looking Space Sim.

ive always been morei n favor of the Dwarf Fortress style death system fora game like this where in you die and restar they system (or load a previous save) as a new person. everything youve done up to this point was now done by someone else and you could ether build off the knowledge you have of the systems or set out and do things differently in the area you liked best. all the while hearing rumors of your past sef as you were added to the games lore. (if you made an impact on the system that is obviously if yous a low level merchant and die in a pirate attack not much would be said as opposed to an overlord of a fleet of ships...)
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:ive always been morei n favor of the Dwarf Fortress style death system fora game like this where in you die and restar they system (or load a previous save) as a new person. everything youve done up to this point was now done by someone else and you could ether build off the knowledge you have of the systems or set out and do things differently in the area you liked best. all the while hearing rumors of your past sef as you were added to the games lore. (if you made an impact on the system that is obviously if yous a low level merchant and die in a pirate attack not much would be said as opposed to an overlord of a fleet of ships...)
I'm more for this when it comes to hardcore mode, where you get only one life. Otherwise just let the player constantly respawn.

Or hell, make it an option. Once you and your last ship die choose "Restart with new seed, respawn in same world, or respawn in same seed with new character".

+25 for fellow Dwarf Fortress fan. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I certainly love this whole idea, kudos to whom created this idea, and also, as another option since I read that you could have the option to start as a new character same universe or to start over the universe and such, one could also have the possibility to come back as the wingman of your character, and as your former wingman you could choose whether or not to stick through with your first characters decisions, or maybe your wingman could stay in the company or group or so on depending on the situation and he could start out not as the leader but maybe they could start out as say like in the ranks somewhere and if you wanted to could have the option of whether or not you would rise up to become leader in your old toon's place, or you could stay the rank you're at you would be given the option by uppers if you wanted to promote or not. just a thought on the spot!

P.S. I think this whole thing is going to be great! this is the first space game, not that I've played or wanted to play, but the first spce game that I've been willing to wait.. A YEAR FOR! even more if need be! I am so excited for this, I am one known to oggle at graphic qualities and this has it! :) anywho last question, any plans on the price of the game when you release? and is there any way I can become a backer still? since I thinkn your KS period is over??

|| Excited! :D || to be a Space Dude! :mrgreen: ||

I love the idea of incarnating as a new persona in the same universe too. To see your own faction grow, or be destroyed would be awesome.
It just makes sense somehow.

Would the AI be capable of mimicking your playstyle, or at least judge from your equipment and ship layout what kind of personality this faction had?

I don't feel much to respawn as a part of my old faction. It would break the logic for me... You'd be an employee locked in by rules and NDAs. If you wanted to sandbox and do your own thing, you'd have to resign or start to work as a freelancer. Which would be practically the same as starting over with a new character in the same universe.

Sadly Josh isn't accepting new backers. I missed the kickstarter and only came across this game recently, and I really want to support it... But if Josh won't take my money, I'm hoping at least some of my suggestions can help. Perhaps you can contribute that way too? With your post you made a great start. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

no the idea wasn't that you WOULD start as one of your wingmen, the idea, I was actually trying to go along with the whole freedom idea, it was that you could have that option, you know maybe you didn't want to start out as a new pilot when you die and see how well your group etc is doing from lore and just hearing bits and tabs of it or seeing it go on, maybe you wanted to keep working on the company, and I see a point maybe one wouldn't like to start somewhere in the lower ranks, but maybe you could have the option of where you could be implemented like if you started as a new pilot you could start fresh and see the effects of your empire, or you could start out as someone who just hired into it, or maybe even start out as one of if not THE top gun in the team, I wasn't looking at straightening the linear I was aiming at branching it out even more!I was trying to ass to the list of 'what if' for when one dies I am one who does not like lines if you tell me draw a circle I'll give you triangles! I like to try and give it variety, which btw gives me another suggestion, though I'm not sure if I should post it here it's not on the topic heh:P

thanks for the feedback though! to be honest as many games I've played/had and as many forums that I've looked at, the last post I made was the first ever post on any forum I've made, that's how excited I am for this game I don't normally incorporate myself in forums :/ but I'm glad to be a part of this one!

P.S. trying to find out where I add my signature, any info on this at all please tell me!

|| Excited! :D || To be a Space Dude! :mrgreen: ||

Online Now