Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Jumpdrives, Jumpgates and Wormholes

Jumping... not at all passing? What if we say a wormhole is not an object, but a zone? Two zones that change their contents every few seconds, and anything connected to the objects that are in the zone will follow because it self-propagates through connections between atoms? And it's not perfect, so not everything outside of the zone, even though part of the same object, swaps ("jumps" if you wish) through, meaning structural damage.

And if the zones have more mass than the charge, no swap will take place, but the zones discharge at the objects inside, again causing structural damage.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:Jumping... not at all passing? What if we say a wormhole is not an object, but a zone? Two zones that change their contents every few seconds, and anything connected to the objects that are in the zone will follow because it self-propagates through connections between atoms? And it's not perfect, so not everything outside of the zone, even though part of the same object, swaps ("jumps" if you wish) through, meaning structural damage.

And if the zones have more mass than the charge, no swap will take place, but the zones discharge at the objects inside, again causing structural damage.
making interesting gameplay... where?
it would just be a threat every single time you move between systems, as the WH could switch just when you are on the border.
making it somewhere between an serious annoyance to an threat

If anyone has objections to this idea, raise them now. As of now this idea is on the fast-track to implementation ;)

Not only does it unify more mechanics (jump drive & wormholes), but it also answers a question that I've struggled with a bit: how does a whole fleet jump (especially considering fighters are not going to have jump drives, and you may not have a carrier available to load them up before a jump). Answer: capital ship with large WH generator creates a wormhole through which the whole fleet can pass. Lovely. I like it much more than any kind of 'jump drive radius' mechanic ("whoops, sorry there transport ship, we didn't mean to yank you out of that system" :ghost: )

Discuss, debate, or flail your arms in the air aimlessly... :wave:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote: how does a whole fleet jump (especially considering fighters are not going to have jump drives, and you may not have a carrier available to load them up before a jump).

Answer: capital ship with large WH generator creates a wormhole through which the whole fleet can pass. Lovely. I like it much more than any kind of 'jump drive radius' mechanic ("whoops, sorry there transport ship, we didn't mean to yank you out of that system" :ghost: )
While activating / charging a local wormhole "on demand" makes fleet operations easier, it axes the strategic significance of the original proposal:
That you can "drain" a wormhole with a mass transit and be stuck on the other side for a good while.

Without that, wormholes may just as well be "always on".
The whole charge issue would be trivialised once you have a few of these charger ships.

Modification of the "straight charging by a ship" mechanic:

The wormhole is always open if the current charge is above the "working" level.
Any ship can pass without special equipment. No other conditions. KISS.

Trouble starts when a ship passes.
Depending on the ship's mass, the WH charge is depleted.
If the current charge drops below the working level, the WH starts to collapse.
This takes maybe a minute during which still any ship can pass.

A ship outfitted with a WH charger cannot directly charge the WH (preserving the strategic issue) but it can delay the collapse by a few minutes so a sizable fleet can pass reliably.
However, every transferred ship counts and such a transit drops the WH deep in the red, energy-wise...

If a WH is ever depleted below the working level, it recharges on it's own time, making some WH clearly more valuable than others.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I'm strongly against "jump from anywhere to anywhere" jumpdrives, though.
This is one of the worst features of the X series because it totally destroys the vastness of space and practically removes "defending anything" from the game.
*poof* Missile frigate jumps in and starts launching 200 torpedoes at your factory complex.
Your ships have little hope of intercepting a spread-out barrage so your complex that took days to build is crippled in 2 minutes. Good game.
If the AI was actually smart enough to do that, players would have stormed the Egosoft headquarters with torches and pitchforks long ago...
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now