Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Jumpdrives, Jumpgates and Wormholes

BFett wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:35 pm
That's an interesting thought Cornflakes. Since wormholes are likely going to have load screens, would it just put the player into a small room where the encounter occurs? Then after it's evaded the player resumes travel to the connected system.
What encounter?
You mean the "getting shot out" thing?
That'd occur in the other system.

You have to think more with portals :ghost:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:38 pm
BFett wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:35 pm
That's an interesting thought Cornflakes. Since wormholes are likely going to have load screens, would it just put the player into a small room where the encounter occurs? Then after it's evaded the player resumes travel to the connected system.
What encounter?
You mean the "getting shot out" thing?
That'd occur in the other system.

You have to think more with portals :ghost:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that because systems in LT aren't seamless. That's why I was thinking that if the player entered an unstable wormhole they'd be spit out half way through (half the distance) and be forced to fight or avoid something at that point before being able to continue the journey the rest of the way. If Josh can make wormholes, stations, and colonies all seamless I'll be very impressed.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:08 am
what if solar systems had significant relative velocities and wormholes conserve that relative velocity on transit? :think:
when you go through a wormhole between two systems with high relative velocity you get shot through the target system at the corresponding vector

Ever read any of C.J. Cherryh's science fiction? One of the things that makes it satisfying is that she treats FTL entry into a star system very similarly to what you describe here.

Hers is a little different in that ships enter a system at a meaningful fraction of c. As a result, those already in the system only find out about that entry after it's happened, and they have to start guessing about a newcomer's intent based on extrapolation from its first few location data points, which are only available hours or minutes later. :D ("Slow down" good, "no deceleration in direction of most inhabited object" bad.)

Conservation of momentum is more (as you implied) like Portal. As GLaDOS puts it, "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." :geek:

Me, I think I'd tie this to the slider that controls the amount of inertial friction of space: the closer you drag that slider to zero (meaning more like pure Newtonian motion), the more momentum is conserved upon exiting a wormhole or jumpgate.

BFett wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that because systems in LT aren't seamless. That's why I was thinking that if the player entered an unstable wormhole they'd be spit out half way through (half the distance) and be forced to fight or avoid something at that point before being able to continue the journey the rest of the way. If Josh can make wormholes, stations, and colonies all seamless I'll be very impressed.
... why would you need seamless solar systems to add a single vector to the exit velocity...?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:51 am
BFett wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm
... why would you need seamless solar systems to add a single vector to the exit velocity...?
I thought for sure that was how it worked. I've never seen a game where I could interact with the next room by shooting through a door or other opening and have that shot affect something on the other side. Simply because the other room hasn't been fully loaded and therefore can't be interacted with.

I guess it's possible to do what you suggest. The main problem would be that objects may not be fully loaded in the connected universe, so certain properties such as the location of the damage would not be shown and would (likely) result in strange bugs. Either of ships not taking the proper amount of damage, damage not being applied to the proper systems, or any other detail that isn't fully loaded one system away.

BFett wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:51 am
I thought for sure that was how it worked. I've never seen a game where I could interact with the next room by shooting through a door or other opening and have that shot affect something on the other side. Simply because the other room hasn't been fully loaded and therefore can't be interacted with.

I guess it's possible to do what you suggest. The main problem would be that objects may not be fully loaded in the connected universe, so certain properties such as the location of the damage would not be shown and would (likely) result in strange bugs. Either of ships not taking the proper amount of damage, damage not being applied to the proper systems, or any other detail that isn't fully loaded one system away.
Read again what i wrote. I never talked about firing through wormholes :P

Its all about the speeds of the passing ship, nothing about shooting :P

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 pm
Read again what i wrote. I never talked about firing through wormholes :P

Its all about the speeds of the passing ship, nothing about shooting :P
Well that's much easier to implement. Copy the variable for the ship's speed when it entered the wormhole and then paste that speed after the ship is loaded into the next system. Now I'll go re-read what you posted.

BFett wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm
Topic aside, what? What games don't load in the adjacent stuff these days?
(except for, say, Skyrim that loads inside and outside separately)
Also, Portal and Portal 2 :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dino, I'm not sure if you are just joking... because of the ghost or if you want a real reply.

If systems in LT are treated as separate rooms, then assets within those rooms will not be physical until they are in the same room as the player. That's about all I can say. Whether or not Josh chooses to do this is up to him.

Maps are much bigger now days, but that doesn't mean that some interactions between maps can still occur while others can not.

BFett wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 am
Dino, I'm not sure if you are just joking... because of the ghost or if you want a real reply.

If systems in LT are treated as separate rooms, then assets within those rooms will not be physical until they are in the same room as the player. That's about all I can say. Whether or not Josh chooses to do this is up to him.

Maps are much bigger now days, but that doesn't mean that some interactions between maps can still occur while others can not.
there is dark magic called "dynamic loading" that loads and connects adjacent map sections to the one the player is in at the moment.
thats how all those modern gigantic world games work. dont load all of it at once, but only the sections you need right now

oblivion, witcher, GTA, minecraft, breath of the wild, they all dont load the whole map at once but only small segments of it

BFett wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 am

I wasn't joking, but I also wasn't talking about LT (different systems being separate is logical) but about your remark about other games loading each room separately with notable 'doors' that you can't do anything through which is rarely the case these days, as Corn noted
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Behemoth wrote:
Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 am
Anachronic (Yay!):

Sounds all well and good. I have a slight suggestion for jumpdrives not related to this: the jump should need a running start. Think about it: ships first accelerate through conventional means, and then open a short-lived wormhole in front of them, barely getting through before the hole closes. It would look like a "jump".

Also, what if a wormhole runs out of charge before you are through? Giant ships being cut in half/locked between two systems because the charge is too low to transfer it (capasitor suggestion two posts below)?
The bigger the ship, the longer-lived the wormhole should be to accommodate it.
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

so, couple of connected ideas:

base idea: wormholes are always created in pairs, at the same location.
in a probably large and widely known facility. from where both ends have to be transported to wherever desired.
making the transport of wormhole mouths something that affects logistics.

variation A: wormholes are created with a set amount of maximum power they can accept.
each pair has a maximum amount of (transport capacity) x range^(balancing constant)
(defined by the facility? defined per wormhole pair?)
so the user has to decide beforehand what the wormhole connection is supposed to to over what range.

Variation B: wormholes that are in transit have to push all the charge into wormhole mouth to make the discharged one movable (more easily).
so the currently static end has to be able to support a much larger wormhole than it would have to for a static connection.
would be cool to have wh production and installation to be a giant undertaking with a fleet of mobile wormhole power suppliers to keep the wh active during the transport phase.

Variation C: theres no general capability to create wormholes, theres only natural ones to use and move around. which makes wormholes a limited resource to manage.

and of course permutations of those patterns.

A+C version would be highly interesting because it makes Wormholes a resource that has to be very carefully managed.
because theres wormholes that are needed for different distances and transfer capacities.
there may be regions which you cant reach with larger ships without rearranging the wormhole connections to get connections with enough capacity to get your forces through.

or using some of your precious connectivity to get some long range quick response connections spread through your domain from your fleetbase

or just build a series of shortest-possible-link connections to get the largest stuff through every of your systems.

Online Now