Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Multiple Fleets

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Less than a sportsy enjoyment but more like palpatine setting up the clone wars to rise to absolute power
fatmop wrote:Yep, now I want to own multiple factions and pit them against each other for sport while I eat popcorn and accumulate space-ferrets.

Actually, having multiple factions brings up another good point.

Is it possible and could you;

You own a faction, you're sitting at the top, and you have hundreds of members. Maybe not your second-in-command, but maybe your 5th or 6th one decides to be the backstabber-type and is actually a double agent for another faction.

What exactly does this mean from an RTS point of view? You send this one ship to fight against something and because he has alternate plans, he doesn't execute your orders? Will he go AWOL at some point to go back to his original faction?

Ideologically speaking, this is cool. But from a player perspective scratching your head and going "Where did my ship go?" adds even more questions. If you will be able to view all your assets from an RTS view, wouldn't this also mean that you could then select this ship of yours, zoom in on him via the holo interface and see that he's docked at an enemy faction?

Awesome idea, not sure how feasible via logistics... but unless I'm interpreting things wrong, it almost seems like something like this would be possible.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

At the OP in general... I'm immensely surprised nobody mentioned the prototype before Josh said something. That did have stuff set up so you could command multiple fleets. Josh wouldn't stray too far from that general style of gameplay, at least as far as combat goes. To have nothing but a single fleet would destroy the RTS elements.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

DWMagus wrote:You send this one ship to fight against something and because he has alternate plans, he doesn't execute your orders? Will he go AWOL at some point to go back to his original faction?
If one of my sub-subordinates defects with some of my factional resources, do I have to personally organize and lead some form of retaliation?

Or will my surviving subordinates decide to retaliate on my behalf?

Flatfingers wrote:
DWMagus wrote:You send this one ship to fight against something and because he has alternate plans, he doesn't execute your orders? Will he go AWOL at some point to go back to his original faction?
If one of my sub-subordinates defects with some of my factional resources, do I have to personally organize and lead some form of retaliation?

Or will my surviving subordinates decide to retaliate on my behalf?
I'd say you'd have to specifically order retaliation, fleets still respond to hierarchy and require orders, they don't take matters into their own hands and hunt down traitors, it's via given order.

ThymineC wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Less than a sportsy enjoyment but more like palpatine setting up the clone wars to rise to absolute power
fatmop wrote:Yep, now I want to own multiple factions and pit them against each other for sport while I eat popcorn and accumulate space-ferrets.
I very much want to see this.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

5anitybane wrote:I'd say you'd have to specifically order retaliation, fleets still respond to hierarchy and require orders, they don't take matters into their own hands and hunt down traitors, it's via given order.
Maybe some of them want to solve the problem before I hunt them down for letting it happen.

Maybe some of them have emotions like embarrassment and will sometimes react without thinking things through.

If I wanted robots working for me who do only what they're told, why wouldn't I just hire (cheaper) workers instead of executives/players? Shouldn't the smarter NPCs be capable of some amount of personal goal-setting within my overall goals for them?

Scorch wrote:Having more than one faction has been playfully tossed out there before ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1606&start=15 (Third post on this page)

P.S.- How do you add a link to a word or group of words?

Highlight the words you want to be made the link, click on URL button edit the [url] bracket to [url=] and then put in the link.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Thanks! I suppose I should have looked at the bar with all the other special effects :roll:

Anyway, here is where Good Ol' Palpy was briefly implied :)
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

- Albert Einstein

Online Now