Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Universe names

Cornflakes_91 wrote:random monkey related thought:
Universe generation based upon literarical quality and features of the seed text.
An shakespeare gives another kind of universe than an honor harrington story
:monkey: :ghost: :lol:
Sure, I don't think anyone would consider procedural literary analysis to be scope creep :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Gazz wrote:But if it's based on a Weber novel the universe will explain to you how every trivial item works.

It's basically tutorial mode!
"This is a button, if you move your mouse over it and click with your left mouse button it causes some effect.
This effect is usually symbolised by some small text or iconography on the button"

or maybe

"Tis is a screwdriver, it drives screws"

:ghost:

Gazz wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:EDIT: oh, I guess you actually want coherence (so that each word directly generates one seed). If that's the case, is it really any different from just entering a word for each sub-seed?
Not really.
It just means that he wants SPACE to be an allowed character in the seed.

Carthago delenda est!
RAWR!
No I don't. :eh:

I want each word to correspond to a seed / sub-seed. As in one word per seed. The point of it would be that it's easier to remember sentences than arbitrary strings of words.

In the beginning was the seed (money), and the seed was with Josh, and the seed was made code. Through him all things were made. In him was life, and the life was the light of the stars.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

ThymineC wrote:I want each word to correspond to a seed / sub-seed. As in one word per seed. The point of it would be that it's easier to remember sentences than arbitrary strings of words.
No! Not different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST (a sentence, not 3 separate words)

results in seed 45967835603924860 for the universe
while

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST (3 separate words, not a sentence)

results in seed 45967835603924860 for the universe.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:
ThymineC wrote:I want each word to correspond to a seed / sub-seed. As in one word per seed. The point of it would be that it's easier to remember sentences than arbitrary strings of words.
No! Not different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST (a sentence, not 3 separate words)

results in seed 45967835603924860 for the universe
while

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST (3 separate words, not a sentence)

results in seed 45967835603924860 for the universe.
Wait, what are "sub-seeds" then? I thought they were distinct seeds, as in you'd get something like this:

(e.g. "main" seed:) 2221430999842

(e.g. "ore" seed:) 2013125023522

(e.g. "ship" seed:) 19181

You'd still have to define which word or phrase is for which seed.

I'm just not sure it would be useful.
The parts have to fit together which is enough work when using a single algorithm. *shrug*
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:You'd still have to define which word or phrase is for which seed.

I'm just not sure it would be useful.
The parts have to fit together which is enough work when using a single algorithm. *shrug*
I'm confused now on what subseeds are, but if they are simply distinctly separate integer numbers, and there are a given number of seeds for generating LT, then you can specify an order for those seeds and make each word in the sentence generate the seed value for the seed at the corresponding index in the list.

For instance, let's say there were 5 seeds for LT: "main", "ore", "ship", "planet", "NPC"

Then you'd be able to make a sentence with 5 words, say: "Richard Of York Gave Battle"

Each word would specify the value for the 5 seeds in LT:
  • "Main" seed = "Richard" = 59882476729
  • "Ore" seed = "Of" = 879
  • "Ship" seed = "York" = 1618400
  • "Planet" seed = "Gave" = 760586
  • "NPC" seed = "Battle" = 683315474
Now if every game in LT was specified by these 5 seeds, then to make someone play in the same universe as me I'd need to give them the value for the 5 seeds.

They're almost certainly not going to be able to remember "59882476729/879/1618400/760586/683315474" off the top of their head.
I could give them 5 arbitrary words, and maybe they can remember that.
Or I could give them a sentence, and that should be very easy to remember without having to write anything down.

I give someone a 5-word sentence and they can use that to generate a universe with identical seed parameters to mine.

Online Now