Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Planet Terraforming

To the topic at hand though and in regards to your statements on the terraforming in general;

I don't recall seeing any posts that mentioned a finite universe so forgive me on that front. Personally, if this were a possibility, you could 'own' the entire universe, destroying all AI and consider that 'end game'. Making anything finite would definitely add to the challenge.

Terraforming planets, while can be used a logistical or tactical resource does require a bit of suspension of disbelief. There are some talks regarding colonization in general as well. Some have argued that it would take too long to colonize or terraform a planet, even if you were to speed it up to make it game-playable.

I think it has more to do with mechanics than anything else. If we are to assume a planet being terraformed is nothing more than the equivelent to a station being built (except the base [rock] is already there) then it would be no different. But I think the idea with them be a resource surrounds the idea that a planet can be 'owned' or 'harvested' for such resources (using it to produce stuff for you, etc).

The fact Josh hasn't weighed in on this thread either means that he's thought about it, and isn't sure how to approach it, or that he didn't see it. ;)

And don't worry about reviving dead threads. We actually prefer it since there are a lot of ideas in these threads and it helps bring back some old ideas to the forefront if they can be improved upon. :)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hardenberg wrote:I get the feeling you people are confusing genres again...

In a 4X game, terraforming makes sense, since your race can only inhabit certain types of planets, and your industrial capacity is directly connected to the total population. As such, to win the game, you want as much industry and population as possible.

In a space trading game, that point is moot, as you don't operate on a galactic scale of manufacturing. Increasing the productivity of your stations/bases shouldn't require you to terraform the whole shebang - it's probably more along the line of "lets add another installation here".

Terraforming is, even in those 4X games, a long, expensive (for a fricking star empire) and tedious process that stretches over a timespan of several in-game-year-equivalents, not a quick "let's drop a genesis bomb on the planet and set it to 'paradise', I need a new vacation spot" type affair.

Besides, once again, why even bother finding a nice planet to colonize if you can just terraform it? This is again one of those suggestions that removes the incentives for going out there and exploring the vast and endless universe the game generates.
That is if that's what you want to do. Some people like to "explore" in ways other than just flyin' about aimlessly.

DWMagus wrote:To the topic at hand though and in regards to your statements on the terraforming in general;

I don't recall seeing any posts that mentioned a finite universe so forgive me on that front. Personally, if this were a possibility, you could 'own' the entire universe, destroying all AI and consider that 'end game'. Making anything finite would definitely add to the challenge.

Terraforming planets, while can be used a logistical or tactical resource does require a bit of suspension of disbelief. There are some talks regarding colonization in general as well. Some have argued that it would take too long to colonize or terraform a planet, even if you were to speed it up to make it game-playable.

I think it has more to do with mechanics than anything else. If we are to assume a planet being terraformed is nothing more than the equivelent to a station being built (except the base [rock] is already there) then it would be no different. But I think the idea with them be a resource surrounds the idea that a planet can be 'owned' or 'harvested' for such resources (using it to produce stuff for you, etc).

The fact Josh hasn't weighed in on this thread either means that he's thought about it, and isn't sure how to approach it, or that he didn't see it. ;)

And don't worry about reviving dead threads. We actually prefer it since there are a lot of ideas in these threads and it helps bring back some old ideas to the forefront if they can be improved upon. :)
In regards to the speed of terra-forming could it not be possible to research a "genesis bomb"? If time to terra-form is an issue?

Online Now