Return to “Suggestions”

Re: How will the universe start?

Slider-wise, I personally feel that most of the ones Charley posted would be pretty game-breaking. Sometimes you do just want to cut the boring parts and torch the universe with an unbeatable army, but I feel like a slider for this would make it too tempting to start the game off easy. So basically, good for a sandbox mode, but not for the "normal" game in my opinion.
Live long and prosper.

SeymourTheLlama wrote:Slider-wise, I personally feel that most of the ones Charley posted would be pretty game-breaking. Sometimes you do just want to cut the boring parts and torch the universe with an unbeatable army, but I feel like a slider for this would make it too tempting to start the game off easy. So basically, good for a sandbox mode, but not for the "normal" game in my opinion.
I think you underestimate many hard-core gamers though. Also, starting super easy sometimes gets boring REALLY fast, which might encourage a more difficult route. Some players may just want to get a feel for the gameplay before diving into a really difficult run as well. I feel that the more hardcore players would go for the harder options first, and then maybe sometime in the future would try out different things.

I wasn't saying that ALL of those were ones I want. I was just throwing out ideas that I had seen in other threads, hoping for responses like "I like that one." or "I don't like that one, but if we did it like this" or even like how you did "Too game breaking. Don't like it" The thing I have noticed about throwing out ideas is that sometimes that prompts a thought in someone else's head. Such as "Hey, I don't like this idea, but what if it was like this?" and then we make for some really good discussions.

As for the 'normal' game...the front page does say "Your Universe Awaits" so the 'normal' game would be different for every single player (for the most part). ;)

I personally wouldn't go to 10's or 1's on most of those sliders. I just put the two extremes in and threw it out.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

SeymourTheLlama wrote:Slider-wise, I personally feel that most of the ones Charley posted would be pretty game-breaking. Sometimes you do just want to cut the boring parts and torch the universe with an unbeatable army, but I feel like a slider for this would make it too tempting to start the game off easy. So basically, good for a sandbox mode, but not for the "normal" game in my opinion.
It's a singleplayer game. It makes no more sense than limiting FOV to 70 or something like that. I think that we shouldn't be deciding how other players want to play their game. If it was an MMO or a multiplayer game, I'd agree, though.

Dwarf Fortress is one of the few games that I feel solved this well and managed to find a good way to generate a fully procedural world. I tried to look up how they actually begin history, but didn't get any results.
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

mcsven wrote:Haha! I see we're all pulling the "here's one I made earlier" move! :geek:
:problem: I've been seeing this a lot lately.
I think it's reasonable to do this. A few days ago I went to the "start" of the forums and started reading some of the old threads... and it turns out that we're just recycling most ideas, and there's nothing new under the sun.
Yeah, which is why if it hasn't been brought up in a long enough time span, I let them stay instead of merging to make it seem like there are more than a handful of threads on this board and to try to be more welcoming for newcomers.
Sunkenmonk wrote:i did try to search the forums for "start" "start of the universe" but nothing came up
Don't worry about it. That's why there are mods. If we feel as though the thread already exists, we'll merge, if not, you're safe. Welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I once became slightly obsessed with realistic (starfish) aliens, and I really don't think they are easy enough to generate procedurally to be worth the effort. It's not just that you change the average personalities a little bit, and call it an alien.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

ThymineC wrote:The whole game world starts in a hot dense state,
Then 14 billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The world begins to cool,
The NPCs develop tools,
The factions come to rule,
They fight some wars (they make alliances!),
Ships, gates, economies, advancing their technology,
And it all started with the Big Bang!
That was well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

ThymineC wrote:The whole game world starts in a hot dense state,
Then 14 billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The world begins to cool,
The NPCs develop tools,
The factions come to rule,
They fight some wars (they make alliances!),
Ships, gates, economies, advancing their technology,
And it all started with the Big Bang!
:mrgreen:

Online Now