Return to “Suggestions”

How will the universe start?

well, it's a question that must be asked sooner or later, i know that josh plans to have a history for the universe, where things happened for a reason not just some random occurrence, so, where does it all start in an infinite universe, I see it happening in two ways:

A single point of origin (one species?), where life started and spread through out the universe, and then as populations grew they split into factions and conflict grows.

multiple points of origin (multiple species?), where life started in multiple places and spread throughout the universe, and once the meet they clash/unite?

this is just my humble idea about how it'd start ;)
Re: How will the universe start?

The whole game world starts in a hot dense state,
Then 14 billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The world begins to cool,
The NPCs develop tools,
The factions come to rule,
They fight some wars (they make alliances!),
Ships, gates, economies, advancing their technology,
And it all started with the Big Bang!
Last edited by ThymineC on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm thinking of single species and multiple starting locations. Or maybe just one start.

:think:
:idea:

A slider! Set the density of points of origin from a lonely start for you to a settlement in every system.

I really don't think there will be multiple species in-game, however. You'd have to procedurally generate alien cultures and architechture.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

I personally think a single point of origin would be a bit too self-centered on a single race (if we are going to nominate ourselves). Multiple starting points of origin would suggest that multiple species are in existence in LT (Which I have no clue about atm). As for when they meet...I'm sure humans would be fighting humans, and aliens would be fighting aliens just as much as aliens would be fighting humans. We kinda hate on ourselves a bit (see current events around the world).

We aren't going for a huge story driven game remember...seeing as how everything is procedurally generated, and how things may be different each time we start...we can't really make something up that would be universal (I don't think). Before I thought of this, I was thinking of doing a contest in the creative writing forum for a history...then I was like "Crap...Race A may not even be a spacefaring race in universe seed 13051783."

Charley's basics to history

1. Universe goes KEBEWM!
2. Insert SPORE references here
3. ???
4. Profit

It would be nice to come up with a whole bunch of history-related stuff in the creative writing forum...but I have no clue how useful it would be...besides entertaining some of us :P

We could also do

1. There was nothing...and then there was The Parnell
2. The Parnell created everything in 1 day, then slept in his cave for the next 6.
3. Universe continues expanding the national debt.
4. ???
5. Profit
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

The slider idea is actually pretty good. Do you want to simulate a universe with only one origin point for a species, in which that species expands in every direction and eventually splits into factions? Set "origin" slider to 1. Do you want tons of species with practically no unpopulated star systems? Set "origin" slider to 10.
Spacecredentials: looks at stars sometimes, cheated at X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, killed a titan once.

Slider 1 - Number of different races/species that inhabit the universe 1-10 (1 = A single species. 10 = Many species) (Could be a homogeneous or heterogeneous universe option)
Slider 2 - How populated the universe is (1=Few populated systems with large populations. 10 = Few unpopulated systems)
Slider 3 - How varied are the technology levels of different factions (1= VERY varied (meaning 1 faction could be super advanced and others could be primitive). 10 = Very similar (meaning most factions will have about the same technology level with few being primitive or advanced in comparison)
Slider 4 - How aggressive are factions in the universe. 1-10 (1 = Pacifistic factions. 10 = Almost all highly aggressive factions) (Pacifistic factions would produce warships for protection from the few pirates, but they wouldn't go out seeking wars with other factions. Aggressive ones are almost always in a conflict even over the smallest things.)
Slider 5 - How many credits would you like to start with? 1-10 (1 = Not a single credit to your name. 10 = Very wealthy start)
Slider 6 - What kind of ship would you like to start with? 1-10 (You could have a name pop up for each option. 1 = Fighter, 2 = Freighter, 3 = Corvette, 4 = Frigate, 5 = Bomber, 6 = Cruiser, etc)
Slider 7 - How rich with ore and minerals will the universe be? 1-10 (1 = Very sparse deposits of ore and minerals forcing you to spread out more. 10 = Dense deposits of ore and minerals in numerous areas)
Slider 8 - How large are starting factions? 1-10 (1 = Control a single planet in a single system. 10 = Control numerous planets in numerous systems)
Slider 9 - How common will piracy be? 1-10 (1 = No Piracy at all. 10 = Extreme piracy problem in most systems)
Slider 10 - Starting location of player 1-10 (1 = In a populated system, 2 = next to a populated system, 10 = In the middle of fcking nowhere)
Slider X - How many sliders do you want to have? (1 = Not enough, 10 = TOO. MANY)

I came up with these in about 5 minutes. I think that sliders (as have been discussed on and off in other topics) could give you a lot of creativity and choice in how your universe works. You could make it a very homogeneous universe that is a balance of populated and unpopulated systems, varied technologies between the different factions, highly aggressive, etc. Or you could make a universe that has many different species, very populated, a balance of technology, and predominantly pacifistic.

Really would bring "Your universe awaits!" to new levels.
Last edited by Charley_Deallus on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Haha! I see we're all pulling the "here's one I made earlier" move! :geek:

I think it's reasonable to do this. A few days ago I went to the "start" of the forums and started reading some of the old threads... and it turns out that we're just recycling most ideas, and there's nothing new under the sun.

Sometimes the idea in your head is under different key words than how someone else on the forums phrased it. It is a common mistake, but the mods could merge the threads if it gets really bad. I don't want to go saying that they didn't search hard enough, but just be friendly about it.

Now...What did anyone think of my sliders? :( no one has said anything.

Charley_Deallus wrote: Slider 1 - Number of different races/species
Slider 2 - How populated is the universe?
Slider 3 - How varied are the technology levels of different factions?
Slider 4 - How aggressive are factions in the universe?
Slider 5 - How many credits would you like to start with?
Slider 6 - What kind of ship would you like to start with? 1-10 (You could have a name pop up for each option. 1 = Fighter, 2 = Freighter, 3 = Corvette, 4 = Frigate, 5 = Bomber, 6 = Cruiser, etc)
Slider 7 - How rich with ore and minerals will the universe be?
Slider 8 - How large are starting factions?
Slider 9 - How common will piracy be?
Slider 10 - Starting location of player
Slider X - How many sliders do you want to have? (1 = Not enough, 10 = TOO. MANY)

A very nice list of items. Personally, I'd like Slider number 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9 to be completely random when I generate a new universe. Slider 2 is nice because I can see that some players may be in the mood for a particular universe that is mostly empty or one that is densely populated. Slider 5 is one that I'd like to see at average to low values so that the player can't buy the largest or best ship(s) from the beginning of the game. I like slider 6 as long as I can't start out with a battleship.

Online Now