Return to “Suggestions”

Post

Scanner 2.0

#1
Josh,
Image Scanner 2.0 is quite simply put brilliant - it's easily readable, it's visually pleasing, it opens up a can of awesomeness like frequency modifiers/cloaking, a frequency library/database - now you can trade signatures as well...

My mind is racing - I want to send out three (or 4?) large area probes that scans in all directions to show me a map in your awesome 3D wireframe/overlay mode and where I can pinpoint unknown (or known) signatures, exploration will be ever better now :clap:
procedurally generated comment
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#3
I love it as well. Hopefully players will be able to scale and move the UI around later.

What I'm concerned about is removing the old scanner. Please don't! :shock:
What I'm thinking is there are two types of scanners. Frequency domain and Time Domain.

Time domain scanner would be how the old scanner worked, picking up signals that are only apparent for a brief period of time.
For instance, distress signals or beacons, something that sends out a signal in waves / short bursts. This can be expanded upon further.

Where the Frequency domain scanner would pick up normal objects like it does now, such as ore, ships, stars, planets, jump gates, etc....

I would love to see both aspects of this gameplay. Please don't scrap the work you've already done with it.
I know this isn't the suggestion forum but this post should be seen much quicker.
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#4
Krin wrote:Hopefully players will be able to scale and move the UI around later.
^ This. If I am scanning in the "complete" frequency spectrum and I notice a peak in the 1e6Hz area, I would love to be able to specify my scanner output to this area. So to say zoom in on the frequency-axis. This would allow me to get even more information on the characteristics of the emitted radiation, etc. This way I could move to another asteroid field, if the current field shows characteristic signatures from a cheap ore I don't want.
Changing the scale on the y-axis would be great as well. This would go along with idea of changing the scale on the x-axis.
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#7
I find it kind of funny that since the frequency scale Josh is using is logarythmic, he actually captured the frequency spectrum of a star pretty accurately :p
Image The new scanner is amazing! Once more signals are implemented, it would be awesome to see the scanner picking up dozens of signals simultaneously.

I would like to see it picking up stuff we know is there too. For example, reflected starlight (visible range), infrared radiation, radio waves from planets, cosmic rays coming from SPAAACE :p

This new scanner has so much potential <3

- - - - - - - - -

EDIT:

I was wrong. I read the scale backwards. Josh's implementation would make sense if it were also backwards, but as it is, a star should look like a gradual incline through the infrared, a plateau around the visible then a sudden drop-off, since the ultraviolet/visible range takes much less screenspace than the same range in infrared does. It would look something like a right-angle triangle, with a truncated top.
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#9
Krin wrote:I love it as well. Hopefully players will be able to scale and move the UI around later.

What I'm concerned about is removing the old scanner. Please don't! :shock:
What I'm thinking is there are two types of scanners. Frequency domain and Time Domain.

Time domain scanner would be how the old scanner worked, picking up signals that are only apparent for a brief period of time.
For instance, distress signals or beacons, something that sends out a signal in waves / short bursts. This can be expanded upon further.

Where the Frequency domain scanner would pick up normal objects like it does now, such as ore, ships, stars, planets, jump gates, etc....

I would love to see both aspects of this gameplay. Please don't scrap the work you've already done with it.
I know this isn't the suggestion forum but this post should be seen much quicker.
I agree :thumbup: :thumbup: if there was a possibility to have the first one as a different type of scanner, that would also be just as awesome! GIVE ME THIS GAME PLEASE. NOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IF YOU AINT OUT OF CONTROL, YOU AINT IN CONTROL!
EVE ONLINE FO LYFE
STAR WARS FOR LYFE
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#11
Sasha wrote: ...
I was considering using the real-deal Planck's law and such, but never got around to it. I may do that in the future instead of just log-space Gaussians :)

And yeah, there's a lot of yet-untapped potential here for all types of signals! :geek:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Post

Re: Scanner 2.0

#13
Miklos wrote:Josh,
Image Scanner 2.0 is quite simply put brilliant - it's easily readable, it's visually pleasing, it opens up a can of awesomeness like frequency modifiers/cloaking, a frequency library/database - now you can trade signatures as well...

My mind is racing - I want to send out three (or 4?) large area probes that scans in all directions to show me a map in your awesome 3D wireframe/overlay mode and where I can pinpoint unknown (or known) signatures, exploration will be ever better now :clap:
This! +10! :thumbup:
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

The sensor display and lack of history

#15
Hi, I'm not really a huge follower of this game, but it does look interesting. I was watching the February video update and noticed that the history on the scanners was removed. I think it could still exist. The idea being that recent instances of the display would move backwards, gaining depth; change colour and become transparent. That way, you can see significant readings that you skipped over, but still easily see the current ones.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron