Return to “Suggestions”

Ship Graveyards

I don’t know if this idea has been brought up before but the title says it all.
My basic idea would be similar to an asteroid field, but replace asteroid with derelict damaged and destroyed ships. I’m of the opinion that such a sight would create an immersive and nostalgic sight whenever you enter such a place.
Not to mention that debris from such a graveyard would be more metallic, and of course the ever present dust, or in this case metal filings, would give each graveyard a chocking sensation.
If any of you have ever worked as a mechanic you got the idea.

If this idea is implemented I would also suggest that the ships within the graveyard might also be reactive. What do I mean by that? Well a lot of these ships might still have some explosives on board, shoot them and some very not nice shit might happen.
Or it might still have an atmosphere so damaging the hull might release that gas and cause it to shoot forward under the gas pressure
Also a ship generally has a smaller mass than say an asteroid, as such shooting it would be more likely to cause it to shift orbit or nudge for lack of a better word.

But the end reason and honestly the only one that matters is that no space game is complete without the ship graveyard. Or perhaps remnants of great battles long ago. (In a Galaxy far, far away?!)

Let me know what you lads think!
Re: Ship Graveyards

Are you referring to debris fields? Where an epic battle took place and the remnants of a battlefield are all that's left? If so, consider your wish granted. ;)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:Are you referring to debris fields? Where an epic battle took place and the remnants of a battlefield are all that's left? If so, consider your wish granted. ;)
Yes but not only that. I also mean a place where ships that have fallen into disrepair are abandoned. You know like a scrap yard but for ships in space. Or perhaps the surface of a planet.

Hadrianus wrote:
DWMagus wrote:Are you referring to debris fields? Where an epic battle took place and the remnants of a battlefield are all that's left? If so, consider your wish granted. ;)
Yes but not only that. I also mean a place where ships that have fallen into disrepair are abandoned. You know like a scrap yard but for ships in space. Or perhaps the surface of a planet.
The former would depend on a 'why'. The game doesn't work in a way that such things are just arbitrarily generated. If it happens, it'll depend on an NPC doing it naturally.

For example, maybe an NPC decides there's profit in salvaging ships, maybe they start collecting ships faster than they can break them down, or can't profit off 100% of every scrapped ship, thus they create a scrapyard from the junk that isn't work using or the backlog of ships they haven't gotten to yet. Even then, it depends on exactly how the NPC looks at such situations, and if the game mechanics support such a process.

But random places in space where old ships just happen to be abandoned for no particular reason? I can't see a reason why that would happen, so it probably won't.

Ships may be abandoned if a mistake occurred during the time in a jump gate. A ship could over shoot or under shoot its destination and wind up lost for many years. If there are interdictors that cause a ship to exit the jump early by causing a gravity distortion then that could be another possibility.

The last thing you want is a group of pirates getting a hold of one of these.
Spoiler:      SHOW

BFett wrote:Ships may be abandoned if a mistake occurred during the time in a jump gate. A ship could over shoot or under shoot its destination and wind up lost for many years. If there are interdictors that cause a ship to exit the jump early by causing a gravity distortion then that could be another possibility.
the last thing i would do when my jump fails is abandoning ship, why should i do that? to make my chances of getting back home zero?

Mordakai wrote:
Hadrianus wrote:
The former would depend on a 'why'. The game doesn't work in a way that such things are just arbitrarily generated. If it happens, it'll depend on an NPC doing it naturally.

For example, maybe an NPC decides there's profit in salvaging ships, maybe they start collecting ships faster than they can break them down, or can't profit off 100% of every scrapped ship, thus they create a scrapyard from the junk that isn't work using or the backlog of ships they haven't gotten to yet. Even then, it depends on exactly how the NPC looks at such situations, and if the game mechanics support such a process.

But random places in space where old ships just happen to be abandoned for no particular reason? I can't see a reason why that would happen, so it probably won't.

I did not say that ships should be abandoned for no reason. A scrap yard has a reason so should a ship graveyard.
As for the remnants of a battle long ago we all know why that would exist and we all know the reasons behind it.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote:Ships may be abandoned if a mistake occurred during the time in a jump gate. A ship could over shoot or under shoot its destination and wind up lost for many years. If there are interdictors that cause a ship to exit the jump early by causing a gravity distortion then that could be another possibility.
the last thing i would do when my jump fails is abandoning ship, why should i do that? to make my chances of getting back home zero?
Maybe the ship fell under attack and was boarded by pirates. Maybe there was a mutiny and everyone capable of flying the ship died. Maybe the ships were programmed to head to a planet but the coordinates were slightly off due to human error and the ship eventually lost power.

Use your imagination.

BFett wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Maybe the ship fell under attack and was boarded by pirates. Maybe there was a mutiny and everyone capable of flying the ship died. Maybe the ships were programmed to head to a planet but the coordinates were slightly off due to human error and the ship eventually lost power.

Use your imagination.
i'd still never leave my ship as long as it flies (or doesnt kill me if i stay), as every bit of hardware i leave behind makes my chances of surviving smaller

BFett wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:

Use your imagination.
Eventually lost power? With an H-extractor?

*Activates imagination*
  • Ship with only an H-extractor passed through an anomalous temporary patch of zero vacuum energy accessibility. Power stopped flowing, capacitors emptied, ship got stranded, crew died.
  • If crew was organic: radiation containment around H-extractor failed. Crew died of radiation exposure; hull of ship and most systems left intact.
  • If crew were programs/computers: random fatal, software glitch occurs.
  • Crew acquire ancient copies of Schopenhauer's, Cioran's or Mainländer's works, come to accept the malignant futility of life and kill themselves.
  • Crew run out of food and other necessary supplies.
  • Software malfunction, ship becomes inoperable.
  • Crew succumb to illness.
  • Crew is captured by a third party and used or sold as slaves.
  • Pirates board vessel, kill the crew and take valuables they find on-board.
  • Bounty hunters board vessel to kill a target with a price on his head.
  • Ship compromised. Crew abandon ship and travel in escape pods/space lifeboats.
  • On-board computer becomes sentient. Kills crew.
  • Experiments in the research unit go wrong. Kills crew.
  • Hull breach. Crew dies.
  • Two NPCs aboard the vessel reproduce. Offspring does not appreciate being dragged into existence. Kills parents, rest of crew and then himself. (How quickly do NPCs age?)
  • Alternatively, crew are operating in deep space far away from civilisation and die of old age.
  • Crew consume pharmaceuticals that drives them crazy and makes them kill each other.
  • If crew is mechanical: run out of mechanical parts.
  • Agent working in spy division of a faction infiltrates vessel and kills other crew members (if they're, say, outlaws). Faction vessel comes along and picks him up, leaving behind an abandoned vessel.
  • Alternatively, the same as above but for corporate interests rather than governmental ones.
  • Crew are religious cultish fanatics and ceremoniously kill themselves.

Keep it on topic guys. I'm not going to let this topic devolve into the feasibility or problems with engines.

In regards to the Op's question about scrap yards this one may be a little difficult to answer. At first, I thought that maybe it would happen, but analyzing what is going on in the game, a scrapyard may not exactly work.

Why? Well, let's take a look at it from a couple different points. Say there was a massive battle and there is a debris field and you want to move the contents of said debris field to your scrap yard processing. If there is a ton of debris, it would be easier to build up a processing plant around the field and go from there (as your resources are right there and fetching them is quick and easy).

If you really do want to move it, then there are two methods. First 'mining' or 'salvaging' the debris (which will probably be synonymous in game-logic) which at that point it already becomes something useable (I don't think 'ship parts' is going to be a commodity as you could easily just have the process of mining/salvaging turns it into the raw material to do with what you please, and bypassing the need for something akin to melting down the components--although this could be implemented in the game). Or second, towing said debris into your scrap plant; something like tractor beams have not been confirmed for tugboat-esque dragging. It also comes down to something simple such as, if there really are enough resources in a debris field that you want to process, you may be better off just building the processing plant there.

HOWEVER, as I was writing this, some thoughts came up. If there are abandoned ships, the way they became abandoned was probably because they were sold because it wasn't worth repairing, or they were already in a state of space-junk. If this is the case, then it might even make sense that treating this refuse similar to how real-life garbage dumps operate might be useful. Sign a contract with some stations to haul away outdated and crappy equipment to process yourself into raw materials or scavenging. Almost like a pseudo simple junkyard tycoon style game.

You know, on second thought, I like that last one. I think it would even be relatively easy to implement too.

TL;DR: Junkyard Tycoon!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

So, Josh has some whole sectors which are ice themed, or green rocky dust themed, or brown super dusty themed with tiny little asteroids. I have no problem envisioning a sector which is space wreck themed. All the asteroids in the sector are ship chunks and such.

Oh and here's a totally valid, scientifically sound, economically viable, well reasoned argument for why they should exist:

FUN.

:)

Axiomatic wrote:So, Josh has some whole sectors which are ice themed, or green rocky dust themed, or brown super dusty themed with tiny little asteroids. I have no problem envisioning a sector which is space wreck themed. All the asteroids in the sector are ship chunks and such.

Oh and here's a totally valid, scientifically sound, economically viable, well reasoned argument for why they should exist:

FUN.

:)
Agreed.

Why not make a sector where all the asteroids are procedural ships.
I would make them very rare unmine-able. Thus keeping the system empty and giving it that ghost sector feel. (Nice place for a hidden pirate base? :D)

I dont feel we need any kind of realistic reason for this. Keep the lore blank and have the player decide for himself why it is there.

Will actual destroyed ships stay around forever? If so, there's no need for debris-for-no-reason-fields.
Behemoth wrote:Will actual destroyed ships stay around forever? If so, there's no need for debris-for-no-reason-fields.
That might be a bit of a memory sink after 100 in game years means maybe 100,000,000 dead ships everywhere.

I would like destroyed ships to be recoverable for some resources. Winner gets all. And then also the :ghost: ship :ghost: graveyards for atmosphere. :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry for the double post but wouldn't ship graveyards be a great place to place easter eggs?

Find the wrecks of some cool psi-fi ships that modders can place in some special folder that you can update.

DW: Edited for quadruple posting; please use the edit button

Online Now