Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Mining Gameplay Ideas Refined

v0lZy wrote:Not all asteroids need to be that way, only those exceeding certain size. If you can place ships and stations in, why not a ship shaped like an asteroid?

(not trying to force this issue, just trying to push the beyond the limits)
Because there are magnitudes more of asteroids than ships.
If you put in ships shaped like asteroids in the neccecary quantities your computer would die.
Except it is blue gene, but thats unlikely ^^

I have a question, which I've asked before: is it possible to dynamically change an asteroid from being a static body to a dynamic one? If so, you can initially set all asteroids to being static and then change any asteroids that are being mined to dynamic, allowing them to be broken down and move about in response to being mined. After asteroids are sufficiently broken down, they are garbage collected, freeing up memory.

v0lZy wrote:Because the other ones are too small and when you attempt to crack them open, the minimum amount of explosive you can assign is enough to blast them to dust.
We can build rifle rounds but no explosive chages to split up a small chunk of rock? O.o

My suspension of disbelief winces in pain.

Thymine:
If asteroids can dynamically dynamicallised we dont have any problem anymore, we should probably ask the great creator

ThymineC wrote:I have a question, which I've asked before: is it possible to dynamically change an asteroid from being a static body to a dynamic one? If so, you can initially set all asteroids to being static and then change any asteroids that are being mined to dynamic, allowing them to be broken down and move about in response to being mined. After asteroids are sufficiently broken down, they are garbage collected, freeing up memory.
Excellent approach!

A problem with allowing asteroids to become dynamic is a runaway problem of making more asteroids dynamic.

Like the kessler syndrome: What happens when I blow apart an asteroid and its pieces hit other asteroids? Those would become dynamic too and hit other asteroids and so on.

Multiply this effect by the number of agents blowing asteroids apart for ore and the player blowing them apart for fun, the number of dynamic asteroids quickly gets out of control.

There is a solution to this problem!

Important points required for this to work:

1. Have a 'minimum size' an asteroid can be before the next explosion makes it space dust.

2. Space has mass-dependant drag

So here goes:
Each time you blow a piece off an asteroid it moves away from the center of mass with a velocity of <chunk mass> / <total asteroid mass> * <some multiplier>

The pieces would slow down and stop thanks to drag. They just need to be far away enough from other asteroids to not collide at the maximum distance it can travel before becoming so small as to become destroyed.

How this will play out:
Asteroids are placed away from other asteroids dependent on their mass. Large asteroids are more isolated. They are far enough away that their maximum travel distance doesn't come within another asteroid's maximum travel distance.

The player blows apart an asteroid into two chunks. Say chunk one is 90% of the original mass and chunk two is 10%. The large chunk moves away slowly and the small one moves quicker.

The player then chases the small chunk and blasts it again, so the two new ones are now 50% of the chunk's mass each. They also travel apart with velocity relative to their mass.

The player shoots the chunks again and they blow up. gone. space dust. If the player had calculated how to get these chunks as close to another asteroid as possible, they still wouldn't be within the reach of that other asteroid's dispersal radius.

I hope I made this implementation clear enough and I think it would be cool to see asteroids blow apart and move like this.

Sasha wrote:A problem with allowing asteroids to become dynamic is a runaway problem of making more asteroids dynamic.

Like the kessler syndrome: What happens when I blow apart an asteroid and its pieces hit other asteroids? Those would become dynamic too and hit other asteroids and so on.
Cutting you off here - no they wouldn't. Only asteroids being actively mined become dynamic. If one chunk of asteroid hits a static asteroid, it'd be modelled as a collision between a dynamic and static body, like your ship hitting an asteroid as they're currently implemented.

Just make the chunks individually small enough when an asteroid breaks up so that it's not overly implausible that the larger asteroid doesn't budge.

Edit: Although if you really did want this, I'd propose a minor alteration: instead of having mass-dependent drag in space (without the positing of H-asteroids, the implausibility of that pains me), why not say that the asteroid chunks crumble as they travel through space, so that the further they travel outwards the smaller they get? At some point, when they're too small to see, they get garbage collected. This should achieve the same effect as you describe.
Sasha wrote:Each time you blow a piece off an asteroid it moves away from the center of mass with a velocity of <chunk mass> / <total asteroid mass> * <some multiplier>
[...]
Say chunk one is 90% of the original mass and chunk two is 10%. The large chunk moves away slowly and the small one moves quicker.
I think your equation is wrong. I think you'd want ((<total asteroid mass> - <chunk mass>) / <total asteroid mass>) * <some multiplier> to achieve the effect you'd want. But again, I prefer crumbling stuff. [:

Online Now