Return to “Suggestions”

Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#31
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hadrianus wrote: Yes but this is presuming today’s level of tech and that it is the ship who needs the pilot rather than the pilot who needs the ship.
The whole genre is built around the principle that the player can do things better than AI systems of the centuries to come.
Otherwise it would not be a game but an spaceship aquarium where you point at best at the target and order "destroy it" and your necessary input would end with that order.
So its only consequent to apply this principle to all game aspects.
The whole genre is built around that principle? That is strange how do you know that? Who stated this principle other than yourself? Who made that statement into a principle? Or is that just your opinion if so state that, don’t state a “principle” as if it were an established fact.

Second how could the player do things better than the AI when even in the present AIs can do things better and for longer term than humans, provided that the task is specialized, take the auto manufacturing industry as an example.

But I think we are going off the subject. The point was that after all the probing and exploration is done, humans are sooner or later going to want to go and visit strange lands themselves. That is what I meant by “the Pilot needs the ship rather than the ship needing the pilot.”
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#32
Hadrianus wrote: The whole genre is built around that principle? That is strange how do you know that? Who stated this principle other than yourself? Who made that statement into a principle? Or is that just your opinion if so state that, don’t state a “principle” as if it were an established fact.
If the player werent better at doing things than AI's there would be no game.

As every fighter would be an automated drone, every battleship would be an automated mobile turret base and commanders would be tactical/strategical management AI's.
No need for that squishy, slow responding meatbag with heavy supply needs that is called player.

It does not have to be stated as its implicit.
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#33
Hadrianus wrote:I still don’t understand how your resistance to pain could make a ship’s shields stronger. The reactor would still generate the same amount of power and the enemy rounds would still cause the same amount of damage.
Vladimir Zatsiorsky is a professor of kinesiology at Penn State, and he claims that there are two ways of defining muscular strength:
  • Absolute strength: the maximum force that are muscles are theoretically able to apply based on their mechanical/physiological characteristics, and;
  • Maximal strength: the maximum force that a person can generate through the conscious exertion of will.
He estimates that an ordinary person's maximal strength is ~65% of their absolute strength, whereas a trained weightlifter's is ~80%. However, certain psychological states such as extreme fear or stress can allow us to get closer to this absolutely strength limit (source). In this sense, our nervous system is limiting us from achieving our theoretical maximum strength, but different psychological states can affect how close we can get to this theoretical maximum.

It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but if we consider the spaceship to be an extension of the player's in-game character in the same way as his body can be said to be extension of the player's real-life self, then it may be the case that the player's psychological state is placing limits on the ship's performance below the limits of the hardware itself, and that changes to this state can help him closer approach this theoretical maximum limit.

More realistically, it could be that keeping ship systems running at optimal capacity and efficiency is a cognitively demanding task, and that different pharmaceuticals enhance the agent's cognitive abilities in different ways that allows them to better manage different ship systems e.g. to reroute power to individual shield emitter cells in a pattern that yields a better gain in overall shield integrity.
Hadrianus wrote:Second how could the player do things better than the AI when even in the present AIs can do things better and for longer term than humans, provided that the task is specialized, take the auto manufacturing industry as an example.
You're assuming that the player is an unaugmented human, or that the player is not the AI itself.
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#34
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hadrianus wrote: The whole genre is built around that principle? That is strange how do you know that? Who stated this principle other than yourself? Who made that statement into a principle? Or is that just your opinion if so state that, don’t state a “principle” as if it were an established fact.
If the player werent better at doing things than AI's there would be no game.

As every fighter would be an automated drone, every battleship would be an automated mobile turret base and commanders would be tactical/strategical management AI's.
No need for that squishy, slow responding meatbag with heavy supply needs that is called player.

It does not have to be stated as its implicit.

edit:
also: if you are the on board AI why should anything NOT bow to your will or work without your consent as you ARE the specialist systems that make the devices work at maximum capacity
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#35
I like the idea of plugging in a player to his ships ,but I don't think it would fit LT to be honest. I would love to play another game with it though.
The idea where you get uploaded to your ships seems to suit this game a bit better.

Do you know Ender's game? I still have to read the book ,but I have watched the movie.
He controls a fleet of ships from a nearby planet ,inside a giant room witch projects the (battle) scene around him and gives him total control.
This wouldn't suit LT either ,but i do like the idea. Image
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#36
johnr wrote:I like the idea of plugging in a player to his ships ,but I don't think it would fit LT to be honest. I would love to play another game with it though.
The idea where you get uploaded to your ships seems to suit this game a bit better.

Do you know Ender's game? I still have to read the book ,but I have watched the movie.
He controls a fleet of ships from a nearby planet ,inside a giant room witch projects the (battle) scene around him and gives him total control.
This wouldn't suit LT either ,but i do like the idea.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
i want interfaces like this (or at least if this is like it looks from that single image)
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#37
I've imagined how it would be controlling giant capital ships with only movements.

:idea:

Plug LT to somekind of motion controller (preferably gloves or something like Kinect), and have a giant screen (maybe projector or something (if it's projectors, preferably four). :think: Would maybe need a mod or something, but it would be worth it. Now we only need someone crazy and/or bored enough to create it.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#38
Behemoth wrote:I've imagined how it would be controlling giant capital ships with only movements.

:idea:

Plug LT to somekind of motion controller (preferably gloves or something like Kinect), and have a giant screen (maybe projector or something (if it's projectors, preferably four). :think: Would maybe need a mod or something, but it would be worth it. Now we only need someone crazy and/or bored enough to create it.
already covered by me :P
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#39
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Behemoth wrote:I've imagined how it would be controlling giant capital ships with only movements.

:idea:

Plug LT to somekind of motion controller (preferably gloves or something like Kinect), and have a giant screen (maybe projector or something (if it's projectors, preferably four). :think: Would maybe need a mod or something, but it would be worth it. Now we only need someone crazy and/or bored enough to create it.
already covered by me :P
As I should have expected. :lol:
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#41
Behemoth wrote:I've imagined how it would be controlling giant capital ships with only movements.

:idea:

Plug LT to somekind of motion controller (preferably gloves or something like Kinect), and have a giant screen (maybe projector or something (if it's projectors, preferably four). :think: Would maybe need a mod or something, but it would be worth it. Now we only need someone crazy and/or bored enough to create it.
I don’t know if you’ve played any game that uses Kinect but they all suck, not because they are bad games but because Kinect works so horribly, controlling the game becomes a nightmare.
Post

Re: Pharmaceuticals

#42
ThymineC wrote:
Hadrianus wrote:I still don’t understand how your resistance to pain could make a ship’s shields stronger. The reactor would still generate the same amount of power and the enemy rounds would still cause the same amount of damage.
Vladimir Zatsiorsky is a professor of kinesiology at Penn State, and he claims that there are two ways of defining muscular strength:
  • Absolute strength: the maximum force that are muscles are theoretically able to apply based on their mechanical/physiological characteristics, and;
  • Maximal strength: the maximum force that a person can generate through the conscious exertion of will.
He estimates that an ordinary person's maximal strength is ~65% of their absolute strength, whereas a trained weightlifter's is ~80%. However, certain psychological states such as extreme fear or stress can allow us to get closer to this absolutely strength limit (source). In this sense, our nervous system is limiting us from achieving our theoretical maximum strength, but different psychological states can affect how close we can get to this theoretical maximum.

It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but if we consider the spaceship to be an extension of the player's in-game character in the same way as his body can be said to be extension of the player's real-life self, then it may be the case that the player's psychological state is placing limits on the ship's performance below the limits of the hardware itself, and that changes to this state can help him closer approach this theoretical maximum limit.

More realistically, it could be that keeping ship systems running at optimal capacity and efficiency is a cognitively demanding task, and that different pharmaceuticals enhance the agent's cognitive abilities in different ways that allows them to better manage different ship systems e.g. to reroute power to individual shield emitter cells in a pattern that yields a better gain in overall shield integrity.
Hadrianus wrote:Second how could the player do things better than the AI when even in the present AIs can do things better and for longer term than humans, provided that the task is specialized, take the auto manufacturing industry as an example.
You're assuming that the player is an unaugmented human, or that the player is not the AI itself.
I understand what you are trying to say but the problem is that even the most complex of control interface is still just that an interface that allows you to control the ship. As such how could the physical characteristics of your body affect the durability and strength of your ship, or the power generation of your ship’s generator?

Aren’t you making an assumption yourself when stating that the human pilot is augmented or he's an AI? Just saying that my assumption is based upon observable reality

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron