Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Capital ships - Carriers and mobile bases?

During my time in Eve Online... I was... *sigh*... a carebear.

The game was fun when I ninja mined! Scout out an empty system in 0.0 space.... bring in the exhumer... then mine peacefully until someone wants to ruin it. XD

Now that we have mobile hangers, now I can mine and not have to bother with bringing it back to a station every single time my cargo hold is full. (I also liked mining because it's relaxing... and I like relaxing activities)

Deej wrote::?:
I'll try to explain it for you...
During my time in Eve Online... I was... *sigh*... a carebear.

The game was fun when I ninja mined! Scout out an empty system in 0.0 space.... bring in the exhumer... then mine peacefully until someone wants to ruin it. XD

Now that we have mobile hangers, now I can mine and not have to bother with bringing it back to a station every single time my cargo hold is full. (I also liked mining because it's relaxing... and I like relaxing activities)
EVE Online is a MMO. You may have heard about it, and probably nothing good, either.
A carebear is a player that avoids PVP, and focuses on helping other players instead. 0.0 (that's the law enforcement level - zero dot zero) space is "lawless", usually claimed by a gang of players who take the game way to seriously. PVP in EVE is consensual, you consent by logging in, however.
An exhumer is a specialized mining ship, and about as combat-worthy as that sounds.
So this guy got his jollies by waltzing into the no-man's land and mining there (0.0 Space had rather valuable minerals available nowhere else, hence the attraction) until the local thugs decided to go and ruin his day.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Deej wrote:I see.
So players in EVE that prefer this style are made fun of?
EVE is a filthy cesspool full of the worst creatures humanity has to offer. Screwing people over by offering transport contracts into 0.0 space and then blowing up the deliveryman and milking him via his mandatory security deposit are everyday noob traps. People exploit loopholes in the way the police system works via suicide attacks to rob carebears of their pricy items, or just to see some tears. PVP usually means getting ambushed and vaporized by a gang of thugs while going through lowsec space, or having to get up in the small hours of the day to participate in corporate warfare. Hell, if you're stupid enough to join a company, other can (and most likely will) come and pull racketeering schemes on you ("pay, or we'll declare war on you and kill you where you stand!").

It's not so much "made fun of" as "considered subhuman", really. There might be some decent people playing EVE, but the common consensus is that everybody in there is out to screw you, and most of the time they're not too far off. Someone who wants to do a little PVE and help other people has chosen a damn odd game for doing so indeed.

That said, it's surprisingly fun. Just remember that you're likely to get screwed any minute, and shouldn't become too attached to anything in-game.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:
EVE is a filthy cesspool full of the worst creatures humanity has to offer. Screwing people over by offering transport contracts into 0.0 space and then blowing up the deliveryman and milking him via his mandatory security deposit are everyday noob traps. People exploit loopholes in the way the police system works via suicide attacks to rob carebears of their pricy items, or just to see some tears. PVP usually means getting ambushed and vaporized by a gang of thugs while going through lowsec space, or having to get up in the small hours of the day to participate in corporate warfare. Hell, if you're stupid enough to join a company, other can (and most likely will) come and pull racketeering schemes on you ("pay, or we'll declare war on you and kill you where you stand!").

It's not so much "made fun of" as "considered subhuman", really. There might be some decent people playing EVE, but the common consensus is that everybody in there is out to screw you, and most of the time they're not too far off. Someone who wants to do a little PVE and help other people has chosen a damn odd game for doing so indeed.

That said, it's surprisingly fun. Just remember that you're likely to get screwed any minute, and shouldn't become too attached to anything in-game.
A lot of very true statements in there. I myself was a carebear, and never got messed with... probably because I was a carebear in a Leviathan with a really, really bad attitude where it came to people picking on newbies.

At any rate, I love the idea of carriers and such! I am looking forward to attempting to rebuild the Battlestar Galactica as exactly as I can. (If this makes it in the poll.)
LT's resident storytelling fighter pilot.

Hardenberg wrote:

You forgot the mention can flipping.

Basically (directed at Dee), if you mining in >0.5 (so 0.5 to 1.0 space)... it's considered "safe" space. So if you get attacked by a rogue player, the police come and blow them up into little bits and pieces. Can flipping on the other hand, is the thing I hated the MOST. As a carebear, you can jettison your freshly mined ore and put it into cans (secure or insecure) and pick it up later with a cargo ship with infinitely more cargo space. What assholes do is that they put worthless items into the can, thus making the can "theirs" along with all of my ore I just mined. When I come back, I either have to give up ALL that ore... or fight them (without police help). 10 out of 10 times I would lose because they have ships and skills far outstripping me... so 10 out of 10 times, I have to let go of that ore that I spent 20-40 minutes mining. The only way I can really get it back is if they get bored and leave (cause they can't just scoop it up in their holds, it's way too much ore) so then I flip the can back to me, throw it into the hold... and wait 30 minutes for the cooldown timer (a mechanic that allows you to kill someone in high security space without getting police attention... which is basically punishment for being a carebear).

Agreed. Not sure if a moderator can move the EVE stuff into a new, EVE-related thread, but we should get back to the original topic - carriers.

That said, the estimates for the kickstarter funding predict that this won't become a stretch goal. I hope Josh will be able to implement it somewhere further down the road (if only because I'm a sucker for the visuals of launching oodles of fighters from a command ship).
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
The stars my destination

Gazz wrote:I've always been eying EVE from afar but until they come up with something like "blue servers", I'm not interested in taking a swim in that sewer.

PS: Is it just me or is this not the Eve Online thread?
We are just venting our excitement for people who like mining because now we eliminate the one annoying thing about it... having to return to based when your cargo is full. Now we can just drop it off for the carrier to take.

EVE was more of an economic simulator more than anything else. It was originally coined to be a thought experiment on a large-scale economy in an anarchistic environment. The developers have all but stated that.

Yeah, LT can take some ideas from there, but with it being single player, you lose a lot of the things that made EVE have the hardest learning curve.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on how dockable ships will be implemented!

I think there will indeed be a good degree of "handwaving" with respect to the docking process. Initially I was looking into some very fancy PCG technology that could actually generate working hangars and such inside ships, but I have since backed off of it because I can't find a single good, non-buggy implemention of the algorithm that I need to support this technology. It's a shame, because this would be the coolest thing ever...and I think we can all agree on that :D But I could only get it working about 90% of the time, and it was hard-crashing about 10% of the time due to the library I was using to accomplish it. Hard-crashing on every 10th cap ship generated just isn't acceptable, unfortunately.

So, unless I am able to write this particular algorithm myself when I get some free time (read: never) after the release, then it's probably not going to be possible to have "real" docking, just because I will not be able to generate "real" hangars. Other than that, collision detection isn't really the problem, just the generation. And making things look good, obviously.

So my thoughts right now are that there will probably be some not-super-awesome visual depiction of the hangars (but you won't be able to see inside them), and ships will just kind of...disappear when they get close enough to it with a velocity vector that indicates they're headed into the docking bay.

If someone has a more elegant way to handle the docking process in general without requiring fancy models, I would love to hear ideas :)

But honestly, I don't see this as a deal-breaker. Sure, there are a lot of ways that we could improve immersion in this game, and indeed, someday I hope we do see something like Star Citizen's amazing docking/walking around in ship tech...but for now, I think the fact that we can store small ships in big ships is plenty exciting!!! :)

PS ~ I used to play EVE a good bit. I was a carebear....no surprises there, right? ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now