Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Big Events

rens282 wrote:Maybe we don't need a lime line just make them randomly and how bigger the event how rare it is. If there ever gone be a supernova(which im doubting by its rareness) it while only be so rare its twice in a players life.
Then it's still a question of dev-time. A supernova would/should have a huge impact on the game. Unless you're witnessing one in another galaxy that actually happened millennia ago.. But then what would be the point? Perhaps some generated nebula will actually look like the remnant of a supernova?
If a supernova will have impact on the game, it means Josh needs to allocate dev time for it. For something this rare that just doesn't sound like an efficient use of his time.

I'm all for smaller but random/realistic things happening though. Solar flares, magnetic winds, alien invasions/bodysnatchers, flue outbreaks and quarantines, rogue asteroids, ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I'll just leave this quote here. :think: :thumbup:

From Flare Stars:
JoshParnell wrote:Well, it does sound cool. However, I've said several times in the past that "rare events" are not on my priority list, for exactly the reason that they are rare. Given that there's so much left to do and that the scope of the game is huge, I have to concentrate on the highest-gain areas. This means making sure that the "frequent" events / activities receive the primary focus. Optimize for what the majority of players will be seeing most of the time, you know? It would be cool to have rare events like flares, pulsars, black holes, supernovae, etc. But think about the amount of work it will take to implement, and multiply it by the tiny probability that the event will occur...it is a small gain compared to, for example, improving the visuals or mechanics of an everyday activity like mining or using a warp lane.

I don't rule out the possibility, but it does seem unlikely to spend much time on luxuries like rare events. Sorry!

Some further reading here: Unique/Special Star Systems
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Thanks for quoting that I must looked over that article. We know now this doesn't have priority But I hope that these could be implement in the game because the things suggested above about plague and solar flares or impact astroid(in space stations and not imidiatle a planet) these don't have to be rare.[*]

I've got to say that I don't like the idea of randomly generated "big events" but I do like the concept of big events in general.

The way that I see it though, is that the AI in this game will be fantastic and complex and I am kind of hoping that it will be able to create big events throughout gameplay. For instance, I think that it could be cool if a NPC faction leader gets killed by either another NPC or the player. Perhaps this faction has an extremely militaristic and authoritarian basis, where two NPCs (based on kill stats) are extremely close to take over the faction. This might trigger a big event in its own right where the two "would be" leaders have a civil war within the faction and the NPCs must decide which side to fight for. Lots of coding probably needed though to do this :geek: but it could be a huge deal in the universe where perhaps the galactic news(?) might report throughout the affected systems and greater area of influence.

Just_Ice_au wrote:I'll just leave this quote here. :think: :thumbup:

From Flare Stars:
JoshParnell wrote:Well, it does sound cool. However, I've said several times in the past that "rare events" are not on my priority list, for exactly the reason that they are rare. Given that there's so much left to do and that the scope of the game is huge, I have to concentrate on the highest-gain areas. This means making sure that the "frequent" events / activities receive the primary focus. Optimize for what the majority of players will be seeing most of the time, you know? It would be cool to have rare events like flares, pulsars, black holes, supernovae, etc. But think about the amount of work it will take to implement, and multiply it by the tiny probability that the event will occur...it is a small gain compared to, for example, improving the visuals or mechanics of an everyday activity like mining or using a warp lane.

I don't rule out the possibility, but it does seem unlikely to spend much time on luxuries like rare events. Sorry!

Some further reading here: Unique/Special Star Systems
The thing is, this would probably be one of the easier things to mod in. :P
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

In that case, It might be interesting to incorporate such events into perhaps a mission; maybe a "big events" mission? The mission probably would not be NPC posted through the new mission posting delegation thing, but as a random event mission as missions were in the prototype.
Super Novas

Now if this idea ha already been suggested, I am sorry. Anyways..supernovas, or the total regeneration of a region. Say that after a long time, the game decides that the star is getting old and its about to blow. Scientists soon relise the stars uneveness, and order a large scale evacuation. Everyone's heart races as the last evac ship leaves the system just in time. Then, three possibilities come out of this:

One: A total void is formed, with some rare minerals here and there, and also many highly radioactive fields. Only the brave and the bold enter, getting mass fortune off of this jackpot, and those with scientific ships take great info from this.

Two: a darf star is formed, with new forming highly volcanic planets, again new resources, and maybe even new life, either hostile or friendly. This dwarf star will most likely never explode again in your games time period, and the lower gravity allows larger things to be built by companies. (Could explode again to go back to the void option.

Three: Black. Hole. Science vessels in nearby systems are notified by its presence and you get warned. Now, the area is closed off legally, but with one of your newer capitol ships has more than enough power to navigate there. By using the slingshot method, you can unsagly navigate, and shoot yourself somewhere that otherwise would take years to fly to.
---or---
You go in there, expecting the above, by suddenly you get hit by an asteroid being sucked in. Your sheilds barley save you, but you are then sucked in. Everything goes black. You wake up in a totally different system, different time period, with different teck and different people. A whole new world. Can you make it back by going through another worm hole? Maybe

Also to add, before the star actually explodes, however bad this situation is, with thousands of homes lost, you may be able to help. Send in large ships to help the helpless, and save thousands of lives with the larger of your fleet, or join up with the local military to set up shielding to protect transport vessels for a little while longer. You could also help in a science way, of your have a very modern and well rounded ship. With great menuvrrbility, good shielding and lots of energy to support them, and high tech scanners and computers, you gather lots of data. Selling this data gives you money, or even new jobs with new contractors.

Lots of other possibilities are in place, these are just a view.
Re: Super Novas

If a dwarf star cant get to critical age within tje game, no planetary systems cant be formed either, much less life on that planets.

Also:
Black holes have exactly the same gravitational influence over interplanetary ranges as the stellar mass it has formed from.

If the sun would suddenly become a black hole nothing gravity related would change.

No sudden increases of gravitational pull or similar nonsense

Cornflakes_91 wrote:If a dwarf star cant get to critical age within tje game, no planetary systems cant be formed either, much less life on that planets.

Also:
Black holes have exactly the same gravitational influence over interplanetary ranges as the stellar mass it has formed from.

If the sun would suddenly become a black hole nothing gravity related would change.

No sudden increases of gravitational pull or similar nonsense
Just open ideas, I typed this very fast and its far from refined. I thought of many counterarguments myself I just wanted to put this out there. Also, the supernova could have caused the orbits of the planetoids to stop, then they could be slowly sucked in, then sped up. We are talking about a space game that has air resistance. Its not going to be fully scientific.

The good news, is that even if ideas like this aren't in the vanilla game, I'm sure someone will try and mod them in, as well as any other sort of anomalies (black holes, neutron stars, etc).
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Spenc12 wrote: Also, the supernova could have caused the orbits of the planetoids to stop, then they could be slowly sucked in, then sped up. We are talking about a space game that has air resistance. Its not going to be fully scientific.
What is this? Give the astronomer an aneurysm day? Oy.
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Online Now