Return to “Suggestions”

inside ship environment

I would love to see that this superengine is combined with another first person engine for indoor (in ship) exploration.

Like Total War has 2 games in one. The Map Strategy & Battlefield.
This would create an extra level of depth and freedom.

I am just gonna cherry pick... Combine indoor settings of battlestar galactica with the free roam elements of Fallout 3/Bethesda.

I hope you can see the picture. 8-)

After a long day of spacebattles there is nothing more relaxing then to dock to the mothership...walk trough the hall, go to your favourite bar and order a spacebeer from the lovely barlady.

I know it is too late to and to hard to implement. But that would be the difference between a great game and a gamechanger.

Think of;

- spaceships could be multiplayer rooms, each with specific missions.
- fly small crafts yourself, bigger ships you can be a gunner etc.
- set the autopilot, then out of chair. To party in lounge and meet others. If you get message on watch...youre needed on deck. Head back.
- promotion tree. Begin as rookie with small ship. End as commander of multiple ships
- 2 person fighter craft, 8 person carriers for low scale recon/mission
- planetbases each planet with diffrent engines (dlc?)
- battlestar g. Colony style vessels wich you can visit.
Like mining vessel/government vessel/r&r vessel/militairy

Basically...create more smaller worlds in this immense world and you are golden.
Re: inside ship environment

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

While I definitely understand and wouldn't mind the appeal of being able to walk around ships/stations, Josh has already said that is off the table.

At the same time, if there is going to be multiplayer, it'll be because of a mod and not because of something Josh codes (unless he has a major breakthrough on that).

I like the ideas though, but I don't think it would fit very well in a game that bills itself as also being a grand-scale RTS game. If it was a single player and you didn't control an entire army, I think it would work a lot better.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Personally I have never played a game where you can walk around your ship in first person perspective. All I've seen is Youtube videos from such games. And all I can say to this is: they all look like crap!

In every case I've seen so far the "interior" of the ship is invariably made up entirely of huge, mostly empty hallways with a rectangular cross-section. Which—if we're going to judge by basically any man-made structure so far—is so removed from how one could expect a ship interior to look like that it's not even funny.

So, from what I've seen from other games so far, walking through the interior of your ship absolutely sucks and is not worth the wasting of even one single second of developer's time. It's an absolute must-not-have for a space game.

(I'm happy to be convinced by evidence that this is a gross misconception and walking through ship interiors has been done well in space games.)

Commander McLane wrote:Personally I have never played a game where you can walk around your ship in first person perspective. All I've seen is Youtube videos from such games. And all I can say to this is: they all look like crap!

In every case I've seen so far the "interior" of the ship is invariably made up entirely of huge, mostly empty hallways with a rectangular cross-section. Which—if we're going to judge by basically any man-made structure so far—is so removed from how one could expect a ship interior to look like that it's not even funny.

So, from what I've seen from other games so far, walking through the interior of your ship absolutely sucks and is not worth the wasting of even one single second of developer's time. It's an absolute must-not-have for a space game.

(I'm happy to be convinced by evidence that this is a gross misconception and walking through ship interiors has been done well in space games.)
Ever seen videos from star citizen? ^^

Ah, ship interiors.

I literally cannot count the number of posts and threads on this subject that came up in just the two (pretty heavily-trafficked) forums I was part of that talked about the design of Star Trek Online. (The first was a fan forum for Perpetual's version; the second was the official forum for Cryptic's version after Perpetual folded.)

Unsurprisingly, there were many skeptics who agreed with McLane. They did their best not to gloat (not always successfully) when the bosses at Perpetual and Cryptic flat-out sneered, "We're not building a 'starship simulator' -- there will be no interiors."

The rest of us -- and I still count myself among them -- felt that a minimal representation of the key interior areas as places for distinctive system interactions, along with appropriate NPC AI and crew management features, was a requirement to achieve the iconic element of Star Trek that the ship is a character. No interiors leaves you with a game in which mighty starships and all their complex subsystems are just unitary mounts, and the only real gameplay the developers care about is murdering other ships as quickly and as often as possible. In a game like that, why even bother spending the money designing graphics for ship exteriors?

But Limit Theory is not Star Trek. What I think was the requirement for a proper Star Trek game to design ships to feel like characters is not a requirement for Limit Theory. It follows that there's a lot less value in having interactive ship interiors in Limit Theory.

But I'm not prepared to pooh-pooh entirely the idea of playable starship interiors. For the right kind of game -- FTL and Instellaria are two extremely basic examples -- interiors can deliver real gameplay value.

One of these days someone is going to make that awesome single-player starship simulator game. It will have interiors.

I and three other people will buy it.

Hardenberg wrote:I'll just drop this here.
http://elliptic-games.com/

Now, if you'll excuse me...I need to get back into my Harbinger and murder other ships as quickly and as often as possible. And I kinda like the fact that it has an exterior view, despite being an unitary subsystem mount designed to murder virtual spaceships.
Oh! Might have to buy it when it's out. More space games is a good thing.

As for ships called Harbinger... There can be only 1! 50 points for whoever gets both references.

Thanks for the reminder about Rodina. I actually wrote the developer about it last year with some questions, and got back a very nice and informative note.

I'm looking forward to it, including the interiors. But I'm hoping they'll have gameplay value at some point.

I have nothing against ship-murder games. I've played and enjoyed plenty of them. But I've played plenty of them. What I haven't played plenty of are games that offer something more than non-stop destruction. Surely (and I'm not calling you Shirley) there must also room be for some space games that let me enjoy being part of a crew of a starship, including seeing its cool systems from the inside.

Optimizing systems and leading a capable crew that keep my heroic ship working well as I explore strange new worlds and meet new life forms... that's not everyone's cup of tea. But there's an axe and a bow that say there are at least a few others folks who'd find that kind of thing enjoyable. ;)

Online Now