I think being the pilot could be cool for:
Viewing ship from outside at all angles
seeing scale of ship
infantry battles in the ship or outside it
boarding parties to steal ship
capturing or becoming a stowaway
hiding stolen goods

I don't want to:
Run around ship to find the message box, market, and other things that should be in an interface
Micro-manage the crew of my ship

I think being the pilot of a ship could be cool if done correctly. A space game that had something like the opening scenes to Star Wars A New Hope would really be neat. As long as we don't see it done like Star Trek Online I'll be happy.
Re: inside ship environment

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Flatfingers already did his best to make STO a better place, too bad that the developers managers dont seem to read his articles
I made myself an unbelievable pest there. :D

I really did -- and still do -- feel that doing justice to the Star Trek license requires designing it so that players can keep their ships for a long time. That way it becomes another of the star characters. It becomes a complex personality that you want to be able to interact with in varied ways... just like an interesting person.

To me, that means treating the ship as more than just a mount you only ever see from the outside. It needs a Bridge and Engineering and Sick Bay and Jeffries Tubes; it needs multiple interfaces that you experience from the inside.

Alas, STO wasn't written from the ground up to do justice to the Star Trek license. It was adapted from Cryptic's Champions game. And that's why ships in STO are basically flying mounts, and characters have magic "powers."

But that's Star Trek. I wouldn't make that same argument for LT. I wouldn't mind functional ship interiors in LT, but I don't think they're as important.

LT gets an entirely different set of goofy suggestions from me. :)

Online Now