Return to “Suggestions”

Gesture Input support

With the incoming oculus rift support, how about adding support for 10 independent cursors in case of someone... builds... interface gloves?

Nothing fancy, just some pieces in the code preparing the interface for additional pointers witch just have no input source.

It would be awesome to be able to control your fleet with your hands, even if the hardware isnt there yet.
Imagine it: holotank like fleet control :D

(Yeah, yeah, another crazy idea xD)
Re: Gesture Input support

I was just doing some research on touchless gestural control for data manipulation interfaces.

If anyone has proposed a standard set of gestures -- point, swipe, spread, pinch, rotate, etc. -- for the general manipulation of data (i.e., not to control some specific smartphone), I can't find it so far. But the Thalmic link was pretty close, and they do have a dev kit.

On a related note, someone has an open-source GitHub project called D3 for manipulating HTML documents based on hand gesture recognition: https://github.com/arunganesan/hand-ges ... /master/d3 . That might be a useful interface in between data and sensors; the representation of that data and how it changes based on gestural input might be close to what Josh has shown.

TanC wrote:Unfortunately I think specific standard gestures are patented. I am not sure to what extent the patent covers these; are they only specifically for a certain brand of smartphone or are they universal?
That could be circumvented by having the software letting you "rebind" the gestures.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

TanC wrote:Unfortunately I think specific standard gestures are patented. I am not sure to what extent the patent covers these; are they only specifically for a certain brand of smartphone or are they universal?
This is why I'm for copyright/patent reform. What's next? Arrow keys being patented? Wait, don't tell me if it is. :evil:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

i've done a bit of reading on the MYO and found a FAQ i havent seen until now.

i dont think that the MYO would be suitable for what i had in mind, as it only interprets gestures as whole and not individual muscle movements as i thought.

so it can only interpret "fist" "hand flat" or so and not track individual fingers.

TrackVR can track individual movements, so it would be more suited for what i had in mind ^^

Online Now