Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Sandbox Mode?

GRIMshadow wrote:When I played X3, the only times I ever truly enjoyed it, was when I used scripts to spawn myself a fleet and bigger, better ships.That being said, it was a reasonably steep start.
A thought came to me earlier today and I'd thought I toss out a suggestion. Since Josh is now working on an RTS interface that is to be in the prototype, and since he will want alpha testers testing the battle simulation, suffice it to say, we won't be able to 'work our way' up to a fleet to test with. I'm guessing Josh is going to need to include something to spawn ships here and there for testing purposes.

If that makes it into a test alpha, then adding that into the final game a la 'Creative Mode' shouldn't be too difficult, and thus allow people to have both ways.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Sandbox Mode or Degree of Sandbox-ness

In the context of this game, I feel 'sandbox' mode should just mean not being forced to follow any crafted script, and being allowed to do anything the game physics allows. It doesn't mean having a zillion credits or a large fleet of ships, though these may be acquired (eventually) through normal play. A humble starting position is completely compatible with this idea.

However, different starting positions may be allowable options, giving the player significant choice how they want to pursue later game strategies without having to work their way there first.

JabbleWok wrote:In the context of this game, I feel 'sandbox' mode should just mean not being forced to follow any crafted script, and being allowed to do anything the game physics allows. It doesn't mean having a zillion credits or a large fleet of ships, though these may be acquired (eventually) through normal play.
That's a question of definition. Sandbox is the essence of the game ( no script, no story to follow). But still you have to earn your keep - I.e. you need to earn the money to buy your next ship...
At least I was thinking of one more layer of sandbox: make yourself a zillion credit if you want them to buy and play with a fleet - that will allow players without the time ( or skill ) to earn themselves to such exhalted position to still enjoy this facet of the game.
In short: allow "cheating", - free credits, ridiculous damage for your weapon and infinite shield. Or spawn yourself more ships... Freedom in a word to do whatever you find fine and fun.

CSE wrote: Sandbox is the essence of the game ( no script, no story to follow). But still you have to earn your keep - I.e. you need to earn the money to buy your next ship...
Agreed. As there has to be a starting position and its specifics are purely arbitrary, it means any possible starting positions are compatible with the basic sandbox idea. Hence the available ones should really only be limited by desired gameplay balance. I still reckon most of us will want to start a game with a cheap ship and a fistful of credits and just work our way up. Well, at least once!

Online Now