Inspirations from the latest dev log and other things.

[color=#FF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ahhh sorry for the late dev log! That old sleep monster…he really does sneak up on you :oops: :shifty:

Today I started working on factoring out the commonalities between the data editor and the tech tree widget, in hopes that I can develop some powerful, common infrastructure for node-based interfaces. I'm not sure how widespread they'll be yet, but I'd like to at least start trying some weird and interesting things with respect to node-based interface design :ugeek: One of the things that excites me about that prospect is it'll allow me to develop a lot of shared power for these interfaces. I even think that I can develop an optimized rendering algorithm for node-based interfaces that will allow them to be drawn much more efficiently than the rest of the interface components. That'd be great!!! :D

I honestly think the node interface should be used for every UI aspect of the game that fits it, both for reasons of simplicity and immersion, the UI in that sense, would be minimalistic enough that you're not going to be stuck in it for 50% of your playtime doing things like Planet management and development to station building or even things like fleet management and logistics (Possibly formations?)

[color=#FF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote: Now, I gotta confess. Today I flip-flopped on the gamma-correct rendering. On the one hand, it does look more realistic - there's no doubt about that. On the other hand, it makes the scene look washed-out and desaturated. I feel like this is one of those moments where I have to choose what kind of game Limit Theory is going to be. Realistic, or beautiful and atmospheric. But I've known the answer to that one for a long time. Unless I can figure out a way to make the gamma correct pipeline look better, I'm going to sacrifice the realism for a colorful, beautiful universe.
I actually had a couple ideas for solutions and, barring my knowledge of graphics programming beyond conceptual terms, sound like they can be used simultaneously.

- Create a minimal and/or maximal limit on the strength of the gamma correction, so that it won't completely wash out the colors and make things too bright or dark.
- Do the opposite and make it gamma - 'incorrect' rendering. I'm not saying we throw in color saturation and make everything all bright and shiny and an explosion of rainbows (Although I wouldn't mind a rainbow nebula... :ghost:), but hopefully if I understand the idea of the programming at all, I assume you can use what you currently have for the gamma correction and instead use it to do the opposite? If that makes sense to you?

THERE
ARE
FOUR
LIGHTS

In Josh we trust

Online Now