Return to “Suggestions”

Station Building Contracts / Sponsoring an AI Faction

What if you enjoy building empires but not managing them?

You could design and build stations for an AI faction.
Bob the Space Hobo!
  • That faction would have certain demands for what must be in the building plan.
    The rest you are free to assign.
  • The AI would be the owner and responsible for maintenance, upkeep, and defense.
    You don't have to deal with the "boring" part of buying/selling/shipping goods around if you build a factory.
  • What you are paid on completion might well depend on the kind of deal you made.
    Some possibilities could be
    • Cheap / free repairs for life / a duration if such facilities are included.
    • Research installations give you a % of their output.
    • Slightly better prices on produced/consumed goods. (can't be ruinous)
    • Ability to see the prices of goods on that station from a distance.
    You might give them the station for free if you want more "benefits" or if they are unwilling / unable to pay what it would really be worth.
    That way you could strengthen a particular faction. Increase it's research capabilities, economy, military power, local defense... you could be a Space Pimp!
  • Working that closely with a faction would no doubt increase your relations quite a bit.
X3:TC has station-building missions but they are totally random and don't allow you to do much in the way of intelligently helping out a faction... or yourself. =)
You might see the pirate population growing stronger before the AI does so you might build them a trade station or three that just happen to be heavily armed and have yard and repair facilities for up to medium ships as well as an ammo fabber.

I'm a builder. I admit it.
Having to run the shop afterwards is kind of a letdown. Just a continuous chore that I try to automate to the max.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Re: Station Building Contracts / Sponsoring an AI Faction

As I remember, Josh explained that owning a faction (either by you or by AI) is a question of task delegations.

So, why cant you just hire/be friend NPC and delegate all faction-buisiness staff to him, but leave building/construction to yourself?
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Which in theory might lead to an economy where it makes sense to specialize over say spreading your resources out over several business models to diversify. I might be that the level of research you have in engineering makes your companies stations the most sought after orbital structures in the region or even wider. This would allow you to charge premiums that people would be willing to pay for.

This is extremely subjective to the final build though.

Shuul wrote:As I remember, Josh explained that owning a faction (either by you or by AI) is a question of task delegations.

So, why cant you just hire/be friend NPC and delegate all faction-buisiness staff to him, but leave building/construction to yourself?
Sounds risky too. If that one AI gets killed you're entire empire stalls, possibly in the middle of a war! I love the concept though. I'd probably pick 3 NPC's to be on the safe side.

Imagine if one NPC goes rogue and takes a large portion of your assets with him! That would be a vendetta worth fighting :D.

Katawa wrote:
Karrade wrote:Imagine if one NPC goes rogue and takes a large portion of your assets with him! That would be a vendetta worth fighting :D.
You just need to be so hard they don't dare cross you :D Like, umm, when the waitress brings you more coffee you say, "I've had enough." And you don't even say thank you!
Or have the nanites that help maintain your ship turn against all biologicals on board! They could then have their bio-matter transmuted into materials to help maintain the ship, which would just fly back to your nearest station!

Online Now