Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Some thoughts about damage and repair

Horrible idea from a UI point of view. =)

In the B-17 bomber (and similar devices) there were a lot of gauges.
Their scales were arranged such that when all dials pointed the same way, everything was working fine.

You didn't need to look at every individual gauge. If one dial was out of line, it would break the pattern. That was easy to spot.

System damage should work the same way. If systems are in the same lis, I damn well want them all working by the same rules. =P
Different hit points and repair speeds... sure thing.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

well, that would not allow for things that continue to work until shortly before they are completely wrecked.

the military turret could work down to the last 5% that keep its base attached to the ship, and be completely destroyed with the next hit.
but the effective sensor could still be damageable, and stay repairable, but still not be in working order with that slight damage.

Having every system either work or not work based on whether their health was above or below the 50% mark seems gamey. I'd prefer it if systems had a probability to malfunction that increased the lower the health they were at. So no real cut-offs at all.

Different systems can malfunction in different ways, with different severities. Sensors may have a tendency to report increased false negative/positives with minor damage with some probability, suffer decreased range/resolution with moderate damage and cut-out for periods of time with extensive damage.
Last edited by ThymineC on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:maybe an e^-t function with a bit of "leeway" in the first few percent
Well, if there are different forms/severities of malfunctions that occur with different probabilities depending on a system's damage level, you'd want different probability distributions for each type of possible malfunction with means (and likely variances) at different points. Gaussians would probably be good. A Gaussian could roughly approximate an e^-t curve if we set the mean at 0 and the variance to a suitable value. This would be good for modelling "minor" malfunctions.

I think there some systems should always be repairable in space, such as engines. That avoids leaving the player alive but stranded. Now I'm not saying it has to be a repair to 100% performance, but some emergency propulsion should always be re-gainable. Similar to Wing Commander III (IIRC):
If you ran out of fuel, you could still limp a long with some undefined "reserves" at 50 mps.

Also, some basic means of navigation should always be available.

For others systems, such as weapon hardpoints, I see no problems with them being wrecked to the point of needing a space dock.

Rabiator wrote:I think there some systems should always be repairable in space, such as engines. That avoids leaving the player alive but stranded. Now I'm not saying it has to be a repair to 100% performance, but some emergency propulsion should always be re-gainable. Similar to Wing Commander III (IIRC):
If you ran out of fuel, you could still limp a long with some undefined "reserves" at 50 mps.

Also, some basic means of navigation should always be available.

For others systems, such as weapon hardpoints, I see no problems with them being wrecked to the point of needing a space dock.
That's pretty much my own thoughts on the matter too. One of the goals with the H-drive/H-Extractor concepts, for instance, was to make them internal modules, so that either you destroy them and take the rest of the ship with them, or you don't destroy them and it's possible for them to be repaired to a functional state. If ship propulsion relied on some external modules, like reaction thrusters, they could get blown off and leave the player stranded indefinitely. I'm not sure whether or not all systems should be fully reparable on the fly, but I'm pretty confident that necessary systems must always be reparable to a decent enough level.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Katawa wrote:I'm okay with getting stranded as long as one of your other ships can come get you and you control the new ship when it arrives. If you only have one ship you're probably not that far into the game anyway.

Or just dont want to use multiple ships and prefer to be a lone wolf.
(Such as hardenberg for example)
That's exactly how I intend playing the game. Lone wolf, original Freelancer style. :)

I like the idea of being able to repair on the road without having to backtrack to the nearest repair station, and even in mid-combat (with some disabilities and penalties naturally). I also liked the hard levels, as it makes it more clear that this can do this, this, and this, and is better than those repairing machines, but not as good as these repairing machines, without looking at the list of stats for each item. Some other ideas that caught my interest was the damaging system, where you would have temporary damage, which could easily be repaired (subsystems, shields, engines, ect.) and "hard" damage, which you would have to go back to a station to repair, and the accidents and malfunctions, where a decrease in health would make you more prone for a malfunction, which could screw you over in a dangerous situation like in mid-combat, and gives a greater purpose to repairing in the first place.
One thing I'm worried about though, is as a player, I wouldnt want to manually search through each ship in my fleet, looking for damaged parts. Maybe we can have a feature in the UI, which alerts the player of critically damaged parts and subsystems, or even better yet, have the AI take charge and repair parts that are low in health. The player could then set when should the AI start repairing (At what health %) and which ships take priority over others (Repair my capital ship before the smaller frigates). Anyways those are my thought on this at the moment. What do you guys think?
And last thing, on a completely unrelated note, where would one look to post a small introduction to himself? The "Anything and Everything" subforum of the Offtopics section, or the "General" section under Limit Theory. If someone can please help me out with this as well, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Brian makes Art! Check out http://bk-creations.deviantart.com/ for more information! Suggestions are appreciated!

In Josh we trust.

Online Now