Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Voice Acting - Crowdsourcing?

Hardenberg wrote:Geez. I'd rather pay to have a ship that does what I want, when I want it, and how I want it, as opposed to starting to argue with me, talk back or trying to kill me. Then again, my car also is incredibly low on fancy electronics that can break down in the worst possible moment, so I guess that's just me.
as i said it would be an optional adition. and those were just examples of the AI i was sure most people would be familiar with. the AI could very easily be a strong ship component and not even take any special programing to implement use the already planned AI and apply it to the ships computers. (a built in crew as it were manages automated routines. communications and autopilot when you take the captains Yacht for a spin.) a loyal and dedicated (non bribe-able) AI might be the way to go if you lack the personality to persuade NPC to trust you (or you them) to crew your other ships. slave in a ship ai, network them into your flag ship and never pay another persons wages.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Hmmm linking a CG voice to an AI upgrade would be awesome... :idea:

you'r average small fighter, would probaly just have a basic dumb computer,
while some ships the size of Serenity might have a rudementary AI,
but expensive ships and capital sized ships might have a full blown AI with a voice
and be smart enough to have a basic conversation with (HAL 9000).
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Hardenberg wrote:
id pay a lot of resources to have an advanced ship AI like HAL or Cortana or even GLaDOS as someone mentioned.
Geez. I'd rather pay to have a ship that does what I want, when I want it, and how I want it, as opposed to starting to argue with me, talk back or trying to kill me. Then again, my car also is incredibly low on fancy electronics that can break down in the worst possible moment, so I guess that's just me.
"Oh great, my brand new, seductive AI is having 'that time of the month' again and is suffocating me at every possible moment, among other things."
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

N810 wrote:Hmmm linking a CG voice to an AI upgrade would be awesome... :idea:

you'r average small fighter, would probaly just have a basic dumb computer,
while some ships the size of Serenity might have a rudementary AI,
but expensive ships and capital sized ships might have a full blown AI with a voice
and be smart enough to have a basic conversation with (HAL 9000).

you word the scaling better than i did thanks for outlining it better than i could XD that was my thoughts exactly. :D
DWMagus wrote:"Oh great, my brand new, seductive AI is having 'that time of the month' again and is suffocating me at every possible moment, among other things."
lets not get quite this detailed in the ai i hope :shock: :? :shock:
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Hardenberg wrote:But it could be worse...remember when you met the Orz?

Oh god! Not the Orz!
Hardenberg wrote:And that doesn't even cover the more exotic for of alien communications. Hard gamma-ray burst as a way to say "hello!", anyone?

I'm trying to remember the name of the books, but years ago I read a series where radio waves were lethal to an alien races elders, and considered equivalent to a WMD. The race used lasers for communication. The evil humans always fired their elder death rays with no warning or attempts at communication. So I can defiantly get behind the gamma ray idea.
Ridon wrote:hm... if it's possible to add soundfiles later, then everyone could download the voices (or voicepacks) he/she likes... no need for josh to hear every clip :) and no need to fear that someone slips in something "wrong"

That would be a much easier way to do it. However, I foresee people who don't jump on the ship until the game is actually released, and therefore don't understand the concept of the game development style, getting upset.
Newb wrote:"What do you mean I have to install the voices myself? They are only available on the forums? This game sucks!"

Newb wrote:"What do you mean I have to install the voices myself? They are only available on the forums? This game sucks!"
Then let it be an 'undocumented feature'. Any game that has a massive amount of content (including procedurally) will eventually get its own community driven wiki. Look to minecraft for example. Half of the stuff on there even links back to the forums. Entirely player-driven.

I'm guessing the same thing will happen here.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Apollyon wrote:Sounds like a great idea, but down the line. I'd also be willing to contribute my voice if it happens.
Hell, if the feature is implemented, I'd start a KS just to pay for some professional voice actors/actresses.

The Hedge Knight wrote:Um, you don't need professional actors for it. Someone with a half quality mike can voice it, the quality for the radio chatter is going to be in the editing. It's not like this is full on dialogue.
Even if you want clear speech, all you need is a good mic and Teamspeak set on highest codex.

I was just trying to get across how much enthused I would be over something like this. I know anyone with a mic can do voices, but then again, I doubt anyone wants to hear a voice like a redneck trucker being their AI (or maybe they do, who knows?) ;)

Online Now