Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Making mining fun

Flatfingers wrote:I enthusiastically support the idea of an "ore types location" overlay on the node map.
+1

Actually, I had seen the HUD overlay system Josh demo'd in the latest update video, and I jumped to the assumption that this would already be implemented as a super logical use case for that tech. :think:

Now that someone has mentioned it, though. I realise you can't actually read my thoughts until I write them down.

... Or can you, Cornflakes??? :shifty: ... Get out of my heaaaddd.... My mind is my bassttiiooonnnnn.... :oops: :crazy:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Cornflakes_91 wrote:just an random idea i just got:

maybe the map should store found mineral deposits in some freelancer style way.
an overlay you can configure to show your prospected mineral deposits with colored polygons
Can you post an example of this from Freelancer? I'm at a disadvantage. :(

ThymineC wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:just an random idea i just got:

maybe the map should store found mineral deposits in some freelancer style way.
an overlay you can configure to show your prospected mineral deposits with colored polygons
Can you post an example of this from Freelancer? I'm at a disadvantage. :(
Image the green circles are edited in later, ignore them
Image in the upper part of the system, the yellow-ish circle

in FL they were not sensitive to single minerals, they just showed areas with something mineable

ThymineC wrote:Can you post an example of this from Freelancer? I'm at a disadvantage.
Dude, you've got to play it! Having not played Freelancer really does put you at a disadvantage when it comes to talking about a game that purports to be Freelancer 2!

mcsven wrote:
ThymineC wrote:Can you post an example of this from Freelancer? I'm at a disadvantage.
Dude, you've got to play it! Having not played Freelancer really does put you at a disadvantage when it comes to talking about a game that purports to be Freelancer 2!
Not much I can do about it yet.

Cheers, Cornflakes. Yeah, I'd be in favour of that.

manual mining mini-game suggestion:

pilot approach and lock on asteroid
mining is done by firing laser on asteroid while using mouse to aim (based on HUD overlay showing where inside asteroid are minerals)
mining produce reactionery forces on ship that pilot must compesate with thrusters (ASDW keys)
(also there can be some debris flying from drilling and hitting ship making ship movement more random)

i think it is simple concept and controls used are similar to dog-fight = fun.

quick thoughts:
- basic mining autopilot should be able to do same with less efficiency, making manual mining good way to early credits but not necessity.
- there are possible ways to add more depth to this:
- scanner upgrades for different HUD ovelay (more precise, add colors for different materials etc)
- more powerfull mining laser -> faster mining but also harder to controll
- mining differrent materials can create different minigame experience (and challenges)
- example: mining very hard materials -> dangerous debris -> use shield or risk ship damage

Online Now