Return to “Suggestions”

Ship subsystems

I'd like to make some suggestions on ship upgrades, particularly the subsystems you can install.
I realise it might overlap on areas some people have already covered/suggested, but please bear with me. :P

Ok, it would be awesome if ships can be customised not just in terms of looks (ship editor), but also what subsystems are installed. All ships should require basic systems like a power-plant, fuel tanks, cockpit/control module, navigation computer, life support, sensors and fire control systems, and can be upgraded to better versions (e.g. better nav computer can plot more jumps, better life support lets you go further without visiting a supply station etc).

Also, you can install optional subsystems to enhance performance, like a turret control CPU for ships with turrets, powerful sensor modules that allow you to scan enemy ships and discover their loadout/cargo, advanced targeting computers that give you a lead reticle when targeting enemies, ECM modules to jam enemy targeting systems and missiles, and so forth.

To balance these, the systems you can install would be limited by available reactor power, amount of free space available, and the amount of slots available on a subsystem (e.g. your HAL9000 nav computer can only support 3 modules/programs, but upgrading to a Deep Thought will let you install 42). :P
Re: Ship subsystems

While what you suggest is an interesting concept i don't think their should be a limit to how you can upgrade your ship. While you should need to upgrade a reactor it would be nice if you could simply build up your ship and keep adding to it, and while you may perhaps gain more power all these additional upgrades should have drawbacks. One such way this could be done is by simply making you a bigger target as you add more to your ship, and in addition since your larger you may loose speed or agility.

Now what i actually came here to suggest, or rather inquire, is whether or not ships will have weak spots based off of where systems in a ship are located. Similar to the game FTL in how you could disable a ship or hit it harder in certain areas depending on the weapons you use. An example would be using a beam weapon on a ships hull to cut through heavy plating or using missiles to cut through shields designed for plasma or burst weapons. Its a simple concept but I'm just curious as to whether its a possibility in Limit Theory. I know little about coding and have no clue about how difficult this might be and am simply curious if it has been considered yet.
The only limit is the one you set.

I'm not really sure if that's a good idea, perhaps for pirate/junk faction ships?

Adding parts to a ship is fine as long as they're subsystems, but if you're talking about changing the chassis design itself, there's a number of problems, main thing being that the base 'frame' lacks the structural integrity to support all these add-ons. Yes, this is a game, but the less occasion to have a suspension of disbelief the better. It makes sense to be able to install small systems in a given frame, but when it comes to the point where you're strapping a jumbo-jet onto your small fighter plane, things become less believable. :P

I think we can still have that to a certain degree though, with the in-game ship editor that's mentioned in the 75k stretch goal, but those should still have a certain ship-class limit, so that ships have clearer roles, and you won't see things like fighters shooting deathstar lasers at you.

As for component/locational damage, Josh did say it was already implemented.

Bele wrote:You will to some extent be able to upgrade your subsystems, exactly to what degree will be a matter of game balance and will probably be mostly a question for the beta.
Modular damage and disabling subsystems is a confirmed feature.
that sounds good enough for me, going to be fun destorying sub systems, and having your own getting damaged as well

Online Now