Return to “Suggestions”

Endgame Corporations and factions

I have been thinking about how the factions and corporations will fit into endgame and how the player will use them to his/her advantage

what "kind" of factions will we see in game? will all the factions be standardized or can we see factions that focus on separate area's such as mining, trading, military, industrial, etc.

I believe that factions should be able to "team up" although they would still be separate factions they could rely on each other and become stronger together. for example say a mining and industrial faction team up the mining faction would have a steady profit and maybe some discount on ships. the industrial faction would have a steady flow of resources catered to the industrial factions demands ( say resource x is needed for weapons/ ship construction but requires a lot more work and is more dangerous so other factions only deal in resource y. the mining faction tied to the industrial faction would be more willing to acquire resource x for its industrial faction)
although this shouldn't limit a factions capability's, factions dealing in certain areas would be more effective at it. say a military faction has its own shipyard. it may not have the dedicated resources to produce ships as efficiently as its industrial counterpart

how will larger factions be controlled? my goals is to have a large military faction and begin galactic domination (yay!) but I don't really prefer micro tasking. so can we have npc's controlling different "sections" of a faction. say there would be different npc's controlling things like the factions economy, industrial capabilities, military force, research, etc. for example
the Economy npc's could decide what funding could go towards in a faction. for example say a industrial faction came into some cash the npc's may decide to put that money towards a new shipyard, or a trader faction could invest in new ships/ more protection etc.
Re: Endgame Corporations and factions

Schaikerman wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm
How will larger factions be controlled? my goals is to have a large military faction and begin galactic domination (yay!) but I don't really prefer micro tasking. so can we have npc's controlling different "sections" of a faction. say there would be different npc's controlling things like the factions economy, industrial capabilities, military force, research, etc. for Example:
The economy npc's could decide what funding could go towards in a faction. for example say a industrial faction came into some cash the npc's may decide to put that money towards a new shipyard, or a trader faction could invest in new ships/ more protection etc.
Yes, I believe that's how "projects" are supposed to work. The player hires an NPC to work for themselves, then defines a task and an amount of resources (or money) to dedicate to the task. So an industrial faction could create a trade agreement with a trading faction which pays x amount for y amount of ore (possibly re-occurring transactions). Larger factions would do this on a grand scale across multiple products. So, I think even though they don't exist in code, I believe that a NPC nation filled with factions which benefit from one another is quite possible, and most likely what the end game will consist of.

Also, note that there is no real "end game" in LT because of historical progression of the universe and the rise and fall of factions, and in some sense 'nations'.

As bfett said, LT isn't the sort of game with an endgame, if Josh and Co do it right; The biggest faction is just a wave in an endless ocean.

However for how factions can partner up, I'd suspect that you could just have several methods, such as independent cartels that agree not to compete in the same area and keep prices similar. Or federations of different factions joining under a banner that imposes rules on its members, voted upon by said members, follow the rules or you're out, but no one's in charge. You could have feudalism, in which there's a top faction with subservient subfactions, each of which may have their own sub factions in a potentially infinite series of nesting dolls where any given faction only controls the ones below it, but all sub factions within it are on the same team, maybe having faction member discounts, and not being hostile to one another, but otherwise semi independent...

There are a whole bunch of ways this could be set up. If Josh doesn't make them, I'm sure modders will have a few out even during the Beta.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote: There are a whole bunch of ways this could be set up. If Josh doesn't make them, I'm sure modders will have a few out even during the Beta.
Of course, in my ideal world, the AI factions would be able to procedurally come up with effective ways to work together. However, I imagine that it's a bit much to expect the LTeam to build AI that can independently derive new and interesting systems of government.
Live long and prosper.

SeymourTheLlama wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:42 pm
Hyperion wrote: There are a whole bunch of ways this could be set up. If Josh doesn't make them, I'm sure modders will have a few out even during the Beta.
Of course, in my ideal world, the AI factions would be able to procedurally come up with effective ways to work together. However, I imagine that it's a bit much to expect the LTeam to build AI that can independently derive new and interesting systems of government.
The modding of this game by people who enjoy world-building is going to be epic. :)

Online Now