Return to “LTFC Archives”

LTFC - September - Explosive Edition

Take part in the discussion --> here
Only submissions in this thread, please.

Hey everyone!

Chooochooo goes the hype train! Climb aboard and find out what the talented people of this forum come up with this month, for the Limit Theory Fan Contest - Explosive Edition.

The objective: Create art about Limit Theory.
This could be in written form as a story, lore, or a detailed idea for a mod. It could be visual like a gif, photoshop or video. Or even audio... Anyone up for a bit of stand-up about Limit Theory?
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, but I'm sure you guys can think of a lot more. It is fine to use other games' assets in your submissions.
Rule of thumb: "Does it spotlight Limit Theory?".

-> Bonus points for explosions being included in the entry in some shape or form. <-

The prizes:
  • Freespace (Steam key), sponsored by HowSerendipitous
  • Terraria (Steam key), sponsored by HowSerendipitous
  • A coupon for 5.99 on Steam or GOG, sponsored by Victor
The three entries with the highest score can pick one reward each.

The rules:
  • The artwork needs to be about Limit Theory per the objective.
  • Everybody is free to enter but can only submit one entry to the contest. You are however free to change or replace your submission for as long as the contest is open.
  • If you have submitted more than one work, you need to be very clear about which one you're entering. If there is any doubt, the entry latest in the forum thread will be judged.
  • All contest submissions have to be made as a reply to this thread.
  • Judges are barred from making any submissions themselves.
  • The contest will be open to new submissions until Sunday 2014/10/05, 23:59 GMT+2 (CET).
  • Discussion about this contest or submissions can happen here.
Note: if you're using another site to host content, make sure the title and comment displays that it's part of a contest submission.
This only to avoid future googlers from becoming confused when looking for official content.

Judging:
Our jury of three people will judge the submissions based on the following criteria:
  • Originality: 30%
  • Aesthetic: 25%
  • Details: 10%
  • X factor: 20%
  • Realism according to the LT universe: 15%
HowSerendipitous will take on a 4th spot in the jury as a guest judge.

The Future:
To help people who want to build stories or art arching over multiple editions of the contest, I'm going to spoil the themes of the following two instances.
Spoiler:      SHOW
October's theme will be in honor of Victor's donation, and entries will have to include EXPLORATION.
November's theme will be CREATION / MANUFACTURING
Last edited by Katorone on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: LTFC - September - Explosive Edition

While we all wait for the monthly video, time to submit!

My entry is called "Supernova Escape", because I thought, which explosion is bigger than a supernova? (The Big Bang maybe, but I'm not sure if that classifies as an explosion, and it's fairly hard to paint).
Anyway: I put it on my Deviantart this time (clicky for the DA page with download link on the right)
The preview seems to have a bit of a problem with gradients, the original looks a bit better. :D

Gigantonormic original version (130 MB, 8000x4500):
https://app.box.com/s/w7u4s4aww6iachzt9d9x
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Re: LTFC - September - Explosive Edition

Thank you everybody who participated, and thank you jury members!

The winners of this contest are: The runner ups are (in order of submission): There are two special entries that couldn't compete for a prize: One of the juries wanted to judge SkyFlighter's (unsubmitted) video. A comment about this video can be found lower in this post.

Comments of the jury in order of submission:
Just_Ice_au
  • I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe, very nice.
  • So many references. I think my head may have exploded. Made me laugh though!
  • An entry that sums up the community and game in general. I loved it. Great idea to combine so much of the LT fandom, forums, and of course, the creator Josh!
  • So funny! Had to detract some points for realism, but high scores for originality and X Factor.
Lum
  • Almost as pretty as the real thing, love the detail.
  • Crikey. That's a spiffing looking piece o' art.
  • It is very evident that there was time spent on this. The planet in general with the illuminated cities from the surface as well as the ship greebles provide a great contrast to the rest of the scene.
  • Very interesting work of art. The only thing stopping me from falling in love with it is some of the colours. I can't pinpoint it, but some colours seem to be clashing. That being said, this creation is something to be proud of, the amount of work that went into the details is very noticeable.
Dark Crescent
  • Nice, but I can't quite tell what's going on, a battle?
  • I liked the use o' colour here. Or lack of it, as it were. This picture also benefits from the high resolution version. And the Trade Lanes!
  • I'm a suck for darker backgrounds and aesthetically, it is incredibly pleasing. However, I'm not quite sure what is going on in the scene.
  • Love the planet, love the trade lanes, love all the blue! But it's not very clear what's actually happening here.
Talvieno
  • Very cool, I love all the details and the various spheres of action. A lot of stories going on there.
  • Nice compositing, yo. I did the foreground a bit busy though. However, I haven't seen a large battle yet and I liked the idea.
  • Very cool. I think it represents what most fleet commanders hope to get out of LT; huge battles and blowing the crap out of anything that gets close!
  • Impressive! This is the most massive battle I've ever seen. I wouldn't mind seeing the same setting but a bit more zoomed out. Right now it's a bit too busy for my liking, but I didn't hold that against you.
HowSerendipitous
  • Funny. Twisted. Unfortunately LT lacks seemless transitions, blame Josh :)
  • Nice try!
  • Great usage on scrolling for a comic with a nice punch line.
  • I noticed myself scrolling down, curious to see what was happening. Funny and well done!
Dinosawer
  • God, I hope there are supernovas, this would be so intense!
  • This one is definitely improved by the crazy high resolution. I liked the details of the planet being caught in it it reminded me of photos of the ring nebula. I thought the ship was the weakest point however.
  • I love the way the style came out looking like it was drawn with pastels with everything having softer edges. This reminds me of Freespace 2's ending. Great scene.
  • I wish LT would have supernovea, so we could experience this trope in Sci Fi in our favourite game. Great style, great colours. I would have loved a bit more volume in the shockwave, but I think that's personal preference. :D
Catsu
  • Same shit, different system... it's a living. :)
  • This is quite a subtle one. I like the way it's taken a screen shot and done an entry with minimal fuss.
  • The only real issue I have with this is that Josh hasn't provided enough ship designs to make this look really interesting. Great job working with what was available though, it worked well.
  • A high score on the realism, but low score on X factor from me. While I think it's true to the universe of LT, there wasn't much for me to fall in love with.
Slymodi
  • lolwut?
  • Oh Sly, Sly, Sly.... :twisted:
  • Well... it's original. You get TWO whole points on details because you put a couple stars... but then lost most of it when your realism to LT had flaws in your Limit Theories (that and equations don't just float around in space).
  • Weeeee me gots a flying machine!
DanielW
  • Wow, that's both a fascinating story and shown so beautifully, well done!
  • BOOM.
  • Wow. Just wow. I love the art style. I love how much effort went into this one. Absolutely stunning.
  • Not much to say really. This entry has it all. Originality, style, eye for detail and I'm loving it!
SkyFlighter
  • I wish this was an entry. The idea of showcasing the progress of LT really blows my mind when shown back-to-back. If there was any complaint, it felt just a tad bit long, but that's to be expected when there are that many update videos needing to be displayed.

A detailed overview of all scores can be found here:

Just_Ice_au, congratulations! You have the first pick in rewards. Would you like Freespace, Terraria, Project Spark+DLC for Xbox or the £5.99 "coupon"?

- Feel free to lock & unpin this topic. Thanks! - :squirrel:
Last edited by Katorone on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now