Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Friday, August 17, 2018

Ringu, as long as you think you've had your $45 dollars worth then I totally agree it was worth it for you - although you guys on here really are a great bunch of peeps and yes the conversations have been great!

I also totally agree that Josh has been absolutely transparent, sincere and literally pulled teeth to try and get this game to work....in the end it broke his heart and nobody gets that more than I.

I also still don't get why after update 24 (or whatever it was) in 2014 that 4 years later he is further back than he was then...why oh why didn't he just stick with his original coding and not move off to another compiler or whatever he did and the time saved.....could have had a game by now but it's all water under the bridge and that's passed!

...I guess I'm just sooo gutted we never got a game out of it as in the end that's what we (and when I say we I really mean me) really all came here for in the first place and so PLEASE can someone make this damn game as it looked so good!

*perhaps in the future we should have an LT CLAN and do Sci-Fi mmo games (if we all have the time?) but I'm guessing some of you lot do that already!*

Starbuck wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:16 pm
Ringu, as long as you think you've had your $45 dollars worth then I totally agree it was worth it for you - although you guys on here really are a great bunch of peeps and yes the conversations have been great!

I also totally agree that Josh has been absolutely transparent, sincere and literally pulled teeth to try and get this game to work....in the end it broke his heart and nobody gets that more than I.

I also still don't get why after update 24 (or whatever it was) in 2014 that 4 years later he is further back than he was then...why oh why didn't he just stick with his original coding and not move off to another compiler or whatever he did and the time saved.....could have had a game by now but it's all water under the bridge and that's passed!

...I guess I'm just sooo gutted we never got a game out of it as in the end that's what we (and when I say we I really mean me) really all came here for in the first place and so PLEASE can someone make this damn game as it looked so good!

*perhaps in the future we should have an LT CLAN and do Sci-Fi mmo games (if we all have the time?) but I'm guessing some of you lot do that already!*
We have a Star Citizen group and a discord.
Last edited by BFett on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starbuck wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:16 pm
As I understand it, the first-generation engine—pure C++—was monolithic, and each change and addition to it incurred progressively greater costs in development time. So much greater, in fact, that Josh decided to invest in a scripting language to handle the bulk of the gameplay. This second-generation engine—C++ and LTSL—allowed for blazingly fast development, but fell flat in terms of performance. If I recall correctly, there were some tests where a stripped-down system designed to showcase a particular new mechanic was unable to maintain playable framerates. This roadblock is what Josh dubbed the Fundamental Problem of Limit Theory: in essence, it is a conflict between performance and development difficulty. Josh's initial inability to solve the FPLT drove him to the Dark Days, but eventually he was able to remedy it through the third-generation engine: C and LuaJIT. This iteration was more or less necessary, because there were near-insurmountable problems with the previous iterations.

Yup, I remember all of the changes. It just seems that if he stayed with pure C, even though there were costs in dev time with each change, I can't see he was 4 years from completion if he carried on the same path...it seemed as though we weren't that far away from 1.0 (well not 4 years away) and then he could have added zones/extras later on.

Too late for that now though!

It was a little more than just the monolithic code engine.

If we take a look at any large game, most of the time the developers won't code it in a straight-forward language. You have the low-level pieces, which is mostly a script interpreter, and then you code the game in that script. This allows a much greater number of people to work on it at once, because they're all just creating scripts.

IIRC, one of the reasons Josh didn't go to LUA or any other scripting language was because he didn't want to incur the processing/GPU costs that come with it. However, since he switched, my guess is that he realized this.

I have to admit, that even as a hobby programmer, this never really crossed my mind until the forums here. It does make sense though; create your interpreter to do the things you need to, then you can just make every new item, tasks, object, action, the equivalent of a self-contained module. Sure, Object-Oriented programming mentions the idea of making sure everything is an object, but this is taking the idea and abstracting it another step.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now