Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Friday, July 13, 2018

I am planning on a log when I finish work today :)

But...I'm still quite a ways away from finishing work today so...it will be later tonight / early tomorrow morning depending on how the night goes :nerd: Some very fun work to be had here at the moment!

:thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Well, I'm afraid I'm just too tired to stay up any longer. In the interest of my health I'm going to head to bed and write the log tomorrow :oops:

Not that anyone is really counting down the hours to a devlog anymore :ghost:
sleep well. but you're wrong. we were counting!
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 pm
JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Well, I'm afraid I'm just too tired to stay up any longer. In the interest of my health I'm going to head to bed and write the log tomorrow :oops:

Not that anyone is really counting down the hours to a devlog anymore :ghost:
sleep well. but you're wrong. we were counting!
75,755 seconds to go, or look here to keep track :D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Well, I hate doing this, but: I need another week.

My recent work has consisted of moving a major game subsystem from Lua to C, which is an ongoing process as you all know. In doing so, I had to choose between one of two major, high-level architectures, each with very different strengths and weaknesses. Despite having high hopes in the beginning, after having the system solidly in-place, I have only just come to the conclusion that I made the wrong choice. Sadly, it was necessary to have the system up-and-running before I could make the determination that it wouldn't pan out. It's rather heartbreaking, and, while I had planned on simply writing an account of this (failed) work, I feel that my time would be better spent taking the weekend to recharge, implementing the system in the other architectural style next week, and writing about the results at that time. Frankly, I'm too disgruntled and exhausted from work to produce a decent devlog at the moment anyway.

Apologies! If lessons learned the hard way are a currency, then I am a very rich man :angel: On the brighter side, I'm sure it will make for a compelling story. Just...not right now :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:50 pm
:shifty: I wish I could find something constructive to say in reply to that, Josh. I'm still hoping that you will develop a game I can get lost for years in. :angel:

Thank you Victor. Working on it :) By the way, my comment was more specifically about devlog frequency, not about anticipation of the game! Sorry if it came across as dark :lol:

Another week? Unacceptable! I demand an 8000 word log within the next 15 minutes! :ghost:

Well could you at least say what system it is, and could we get a shiny or 2 to hold us over? You could say work on graphics for an hour or 2 tonight and still technically deliver something today ;) :monkey: Might help alleviate the heartbreak too :)

Also, Talk to Tal more. He's been glum about the lack of intimacy between you guys recently.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Well could you at least say what system it is, and could we get a shiny or 2 to hold us over? You could say work on graphics for an hour or 2 tonight and still technically deliver something today ;) :monkey: Might help alleviate the heartbreak too :)

Actually...that kind of mentality always ends up breaking my heart even more, to be honest. And it's where my head was today, which is exactly why I'm choosing to wait -- doing things purely for the log always feels bad to me. I not only feel bad about unsuccessful work, but then I also feel bad about trying to compensate with work that I didn't actually work hard on and am not invested in, but will be judged on nonetheless. It's a dangerous, stressful habit that I hope never to revisit :ghost:

The subsystem is UI. It has been a long time coming, ever since PAX, really. Our UI system is in Lua, and was first built by Adam as a dev UI. I later asked him to scale it up to a full-featured one for player-facing stuff. As it always goes, only upon having that full-featured system did we begin to see the real issues with not having it engine-side. It has been holding me back from working effectively on gameplay that involves player interaction (which, after all, is arguably one of the more important features of an interactive game :lol: ). The choice was immediate-mode vs retained-mode.

And..

Despite the hard work on this fast, native, engine-side implementation of an immediate-mode UI, I have come to believe that the cons outweigh the pros. Another +1 to Josh's life experience :V
Hyperion wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Also, Talk to Tal more. He's been glum about the lack of intimacy between you guys recently.

Oh no! I will water the Tal :3

Online Now