Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, April 30, 2018

Perfect information and an AI handicap is the hack that wins the day. Nice solution. Out of curiousity, how are you minimizing the overhead of storing all known entities for each AI player? With 2500 AI and a system with 10 objects that are discoverable, thats not terrible, but what kind of architecture is allowing you to scale up the number of discoverable objects and store the list of who has discovered them? Im curious about the technical implementation, especially when trying to track updates to AI that move out of the scope of the players immediate surroundings, but still need to be tracked as independent entities that are discovering new locations. If you delay the rate at which distant entities update in the simulation to reduce CPU load, how do you update the list of known locations in a way that doesn't make it obvious to the player that very little changed in their distant system as compared to the immediate system they just arrived from.

That may have gotten confusing.

Hey guys, just FYI: what with posting a KS update today, Adam posting a devlog today, plus me not being satisfied with my work on capital expenditure & system development yet, I'm going to defer to next week for my next installment. Hopefully I will have had enough insights by then to add up to the completion of this last (and most difficult) bit of the high-level AI.

:wave:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:25 pm
Hey guys, just FYI: what with posting a KS update today, Adam posting a devlog today, plus me not being satisfied with my work on capital expenditure & system development yet, I'm going to defer to next week for my next installment. Hopefully I will have had enough insights by then to add up to the completion of this last (and most difficult) bit of the high-level AI.

Josh earned the power of expectation management! :P

mcsven wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:57 pm
JoshParnell wrote:

Josh earned the power of expectation management! :P

Expectations updated appropriately -- all good!

JoshParnell wrote:

see, thats how easy it is to keep us from being annoying :ghost:

Online Now