• small weapons -> fighter
  • big weapons -> corvette
  • bigger weapons -> destroyer
  • biggest weapons -> battleship
  • mining beams -> miner
  • lots of cargo space -> hauler
  • places for docking -> carrier
  • fast with great scanner -> scout
...And so on. Unfortunately "roles" are usually very sparsely defined, and it ought to be possible, I think, to have a battleship-sized vessel bristling with point defense - even nothing but point defense, if you wanted. It's not really the content of the hardpoints that defines a ship, I think, but rather the count of hardpoints, and what they enable a ship to do. A large ship with a bunch of large-weapon-slots could be a battleship, while a similarly-sized ship with dozens of tiny point-defense-slots could be a support vessel.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: [Josh] Friday, March 9, 2018

You know what? I'd love to see a Joshpost on his vision for Limit Theory at this point, 5+ years after the description given in the Kickstarter.

What sparked this thought is that the notion of "roles" for ships pretty much depends on what gameplay verbs are implemented. Josh outlined several possibilities in his Kickstarter text... but are those still intended? Are new verbs (i.e., distinctive types of actions that a ship -- human- or NPC-controlled -- can take) being considered after all this time?

What's the possibility space look like today for what ships in LT will be able to do?

That, I think, will tell us what roles the various ship classes will be able to fill.

...also, I would very much like to read a high-level "State of Limit Theory" update from Josh... and I'll bet Kickstarter backers who don't visit these forums would appreciate that update as well. It's been a while.

CSE wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 am
...and one more friday without devlog.

Makes one wonder if Josh’s notion of soon(tm) is contagious....
:?
Ha. As much as I would like to blame Josh's influence, I'll take full responsibility and say sorry, look for the devlog on Monday instead X0 I appreciate y'all's patience with the ships. <333
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Flatfingers wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm
You know what? I'd love to see a Joshpost on his vision for Limit Theory at this point, 5+ years after the description given in the Kickstarter.

What sparked this thought is that the notion of "roles" for ships pretty much depends on what gameplay verbs are implemented. Josh outlined several possibilities in his Kickstarter text... but are those still intended? Are new verbs (i.e., distinctive types of actions that a ship -- human- or NPC-controlled -- can take) being considered after all this time?

What's the possibility space look like today for what ships in LT will be able to do?

That, I think, will tell us what roles the various ship classes will be able to fill.

...also, I would very much like to read a high-level "State of Limit Theory" update from Josh... and I'll bet Kickstarter backers who don't visit these forums would appreciate that update as well. It's been a while.
Yes, Flat, this would be of great interest to me. :thumbup: :angel:

LindseyReid wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm
Ha. As much as I would like to blame Josh's influence, I'll take full responsibility and say sorry, look for the devlog on Monday instead X0 I appreciate y'all's patience with the ships. <333
So not Friday.. not Monday.. I even double checked, it's not Monday anywhere in the world right now. It's very Tuesday, and in fact Wednesday for some people right now :)

Why not just reset for this Friday if you need more time? I don't mind waiting if you need a few more days. But let us know!

Distant.
Shoot ALL the things!

Distant wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 am
LindseyReid wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm
So not Friday.. not Monday.. I even double checked, it's not Monday anywhere in the world right now. It's very Tuesday, and in fact Wednesday for some people right now :)

Why not just reset for this Friday if you need more time? I don't mind waiting if you need a few more days. But let us know!

Distant.
Why? It is not as if being on time or reliable actually matters right?

Because as people like to point out. Consistency doesnt matter. People will wait FOREVER.... or something. (very much "or something")

Naed wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 am

Because as people like to point out. Consistency doesnt matter. People will wait FOREVER.... or something. (very much "or something")
Consistency does matter. If you announce a date, you should stick to it OR inform people BEFORE that date that you won't meet it.

But we've been down this road many times Neo. You know where it leads. (bad matrix quote).
Shoot ALL the things!

Distant wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 am
Naed wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 am

Consistency does matter. If you announce a date, you should stick to it OR inform people BEFORE that date that you won't meet it.

But we've been down this road many times Neo. You know where it leads. (bad matrix quote).
Seems like i missed the massive sarcasm tag that my previous post was posted under. Sorry about that :)

Online Now