Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, December 15, 2017

JFSOCC wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm
Are moving parts something we can look forward to in ship design in the future? I would also like to see designs like concentric circles or more non-shippy shapes.
Moving parts, no. More alien/surreal ship shapes, yes.

In non-LT related news, Josh & I are going to be participating in a New Year's Eve Party Stream on Sunday!! We're gonna be partying with friends, playing games like Overwatch, and supporting our friends who are Twitch streamers. I might also be streaming! You can follow me on Twitter, follow Linzey on Twitch (not me- different Lindsey XD), or keep track of this post for the announcement of when we go live on Sunday evening. It'll probably be late, since we'll be streaming through midnight to celebrate the new year. Again, this is not LT-related, just for fun & wanted to let y'all know that you can come hang out with me & Josh on a stream ^^ <3
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 pm
JFSOCC wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm
Are moving parts something we can look forward to in ship design in the future? I would also like to see designs like concentric circles or more non-shippy shapes.
Moving parts, no. More alien/surreal ship shapes, yes.

In non-LT related news, Josh & I are going to be participating in a New Year's Eve Party Stream on Sunday!! We're gonna be partying with friends, playing games like Overwatch, and supporting our friends who are Twitch streamers. I might also be streaming! You can follow me on Twitter, follow Linzey on Twitch (not me- different Lindsey XD), or keep track of this post for the announcement of when we go live on Sunday evening. It'll probably be late, since we'll be streaming through midnight to celebrate the new year. Again, this is not LT-related, just for fun & wanted to let y'all know that you can come hang out with me & Josh on a stream ^^ <3
SWEET! (To both the live stream and the more crazy ships).

Oh, added this to my latest video: https://youtu.be/6dnx_BHR1EM
Shoot ALL the things!

Just an update on the streaming-
My friend Linzey is on now: https://www.twitch.tv/ladylinzey
And I'll be on playing Overwatch with Josh at 10PM! https://www.twitch.tv/lindseyreid

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

The stream itself went super well- Linz got 5+ new subscribers, the chat was active the whole time, and we had a lot of fun. Thank you to everybody who joined!!!!!

The plumbing in the house did not fare so well, and a drastic leak caused a section of the ceiling to cave in. Which Josh, by the way, did a great job of helping clean up. XD It was very expensive to fix, but hopefully it's over now. (Luckily, also, this party was at a friend's house and not our apartment or the LT offices. :P)

Back to LT-related news: Josh and Adam have spent the better part of last week working on the PAX demo, and after a short break for NYE, I'll be back with Josh in the office soon. I'll be posting a new devlog on Friday, as scheduled!

Happy new year to everybody. <33333

- Stephen Sondheim

Today's ships: https://imgur.com/a/BSFiq
Added a new wing type. ;0

- Stephen Sondheim

Distant wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 pm
Those are some sleek "interceptor" looking ships :D

Some of them look like they ran into a kitchen table before they took off:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Overall, very nice!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Stephen Sondheim

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 am
Wings make sense, honestly, though perhaps not in a typical two-winged aircraft-like manner. They're good places to mount things on a ship that
  1. need to stay moving as part of their defense (don't have the shields and HP to tank attacks from larger ships)
  2. flies at its target to attack (small ships such as fighters/bombers)
  3. Doesn't have much surface area (small ships, typically, such as fighters or perhaps bombers)
  4. Doesn't want to greatly enlarge its profile relative to its target (smaller profile = harder to hit)
Well, the concept of fighters in space is quite ridiculous to begin with.
A lightly armored flying bomb is incredibly easy to hit (with realistic weapons) and heavy armor defeats the purpose.
So let's not even go there.

Go Spacefighters! =P

Embracing the insanity of it, reasons for having wings could be...
  • If you have at least 3 wings, you can mount the main engines away from the ship's body, greatly increasing turning capabilities while saving on maneuvering thrusters.
  • If you have spindly/thin wings with the engines on the outside you can divert an emission-seeking warhead a few meters away from the pilot.
  • Impulse-based sensors (based on a classic impulse RADAR) would benefit from the triangulation angle.
Ugh, I feel a sanity attack coming on so that's all I got for now!
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm
Well, the concept of fighters in space is quite ridiculous to begin with.
A lightly armored flying bomb is incredibly easy to hit (with realistic weapons) and heavy armor defeats the purpose.
So let's not even go there.

In a universe where solar systems are basically pocket dimensions, and planets neither rotate nor orbit their primary star because gravity doesn't exist (but inertia does!), laser-evading fighter ships is not even a blip on my Outrage Radar. ;)

That said, while I'm enjoying the variety of wings, I'm starting to get curious about possible fuselage shapes.

Some possibilities (taken from MegaTraveller just as a starting point for ideas):

• Open Frame
  • Needle/Wedge
  • Cone
  • Cylinder
  • Box
  • Sphere
  • Dome/Disk
  • Irregular

Sure would be interesting to see some disk-shaped fuselages mated to narrow wings on pylons.... :lol:

Online Now