Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, December 15, 2017

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm
I've always frowned when confronted with this cult stuff which from time to time gets attached to individuals involved in the LT project
Come, my son, be baptized in the holy light of the one true limit theory!

In the name of the Josh, the Adam, and the holy Lindsey.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

CSE wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm
This is amazing!

Perhaps you can increase diversity by using different symmetries.
You seem to lean on one symmetry plan, which is the usual design for humans (that have one symmetry plan, at least externally ). But some other groups may be interesting as well. For instance in multiple axial symmetry, e.g. Order 3 or more, or even more compled and symmetrical designs (with both axial and planar symmetries).
Using this as one of the primary seed would allow to generate designs that fit to each other with different details.
I learned about symmetry in chemistry/Crystallography , so I put such a link, but I realise it is not self-explainig to undrestand what the options are... http://www.chemtube3d.com/SymHOME.htm;
your designs seem mostly Cs. Clicking on the groups on the left bring example molecules to understand what it means.
I LOVE this idea. It's been in the back of my head for awhile, but you just reminded me how important different axes of symmetry will be.

erf wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:01 pm
Pretty cool, especially the last album. I do think the ships still look a bit blocky. Maybe add some curves / splines and make some parts thinner? Also from the pinterest page, i find ships consisting of a single large ( curved ) body, to be the most appealing - not so much with all the things sticking out. That sounded a bit weird :D

Also, texturing, details, etc.

Curves are on their way! Josh is working on texturing, which will allow texture details.

Ashenraynor wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 am
Great galleries! How many iterations does it currently take to get something fighter-shaped that is gallery worthy? How hard do you think it will be to get ships that look decent on a consistent basis into LT 1.0?
Good question! I took about 100 screenshots a day, and picked from them rather randomly to create the Imgur galleries. I'm pretty confident that these algorithms are consistently cool-looking in output.

Thank you for the kind words, everybody ^^
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 am
CSE wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm
This is amazing!

Perhaps you can increase diversity by using different symmetries.
You seem to lean on one symmetry plan, which is the usual design for humans (that have one symmetry plan, at least externally ). But some other groups may be interesting as well. For instance in multiple axial symmetry, e.g. Order 3 or more, or even more compled and symmetrical designs (with both axial and planar symmetries).
Using this as one of the primary seed would allow to generate designs that fit to each other with different details.
I learned about symmetry in chemistry/Crystallography , so I put such a link, but I realise it is not self-explainig to undrestand what the options are... http://www.chemtube3d.com/SymHOME.htm;
your designs seem mostly Cs. Clicking on the groups on the left bring example molecules to understand what it means.
I LOVE this idea. It's been in the back of my head for awhile, but you just reminded me how important different axes of symmetry will be.
just dont forget to think about designs with multiple main hull elements around a symmetry axis. like catamaran-like designs.
because that ties a lot into symmetry axis considerations :V

I’ve gone through my pinterest board of over 4800 (and growing) images for design inspiration for ships and stations, and I’ve recognized some loosely defined “families” of styles. Here’s what I’ve found, it’s definitely not comprehensive, but it might help.

Phallic
Spoiler:      SHOW
ImageImage
X, H, Y, T, V, A, + shaped wing
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cylindrical
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sandwich
Catamaran
ImageImageImage
Gun
ImageImage
Crossbow
ImageImage
Spaceplane
ImageImageImage
Spaceboat
ImageImage
Sword/Spearhead
ImageImageImage
Radial
ImageImage
Trident
ImageImageImage
Spherical
ImageImage
Beads on a string
Cargo
ImageImageImage
Saucer
ImageImage
USS Enterprise
ImageImageImage
Shield/Kite
ImageImage
Skeletal
ImageImage
Random huge shapes with greeble
ImageImage
Crescent
ImageImageImageImage
Bundle of Rods
ImageImageImage
Splintered Wood
ImageImage
Additionally there’s a near endless number of possibilities for
Biomimicry
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Object mimicry
ImageImageImage
And of course those general shape families can be combined in nearly arbitrary ways, and then there’s multiple symmetries, asymmetry, and so on.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Distant wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:54 pm
Very cool. Nothing wrong with a short and productive week :) Hope you're feeling better (sounds like you're over the cold to me!).

Not a lot of words, and 40000000000 images (that's a direct count)... I'll just talk...real...slow...for...my...video...I...guess :D
Just pick the best ones. :D Or the ones you feel like are the best ones.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Great work Lindsey! It looks like you're making pretty rapid progress, and I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better! Hyperion's megapost/Pinterest is a great resource, and if the LT1.0 algorithms can procedurally generate any of those ships that would be incredible. As perhaps more of a near-term goal, I think working to see if your algorithms can generate all or most of EVE Online's Tech 1 frigates (link: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Frigates) would be great for the "tamer" algorithm since they mostly have one plane of symmetry and were designed to not look completely alien.

Online Now