Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, December 1, 2017

LindseyReid wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:40 pm
Thank y'all so much for the kind words ^^ <333
CSE wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 pm
Nice tutorial on greebles, thank you. I am actually working on grebes as well for my 3D models (see LTFC) and I actually used the same technique as you did. However, somehow, this is not satisfying. So I made a first improvement:
large surfaces have no greebles, while localised surfaces have a very fine level of details. This looks more realistic as actually you have a protective hull, but here and there some structure that have a function that require them to look out of the hull. This make a first significant improvement in my opinion. So basically making different level of details at different locations.
The next step would be to procedurally generate structure that seem to have an internal logic. For example structures linked with pipes, or array of structures connected to some larger item like several plants connected to a huge generator, and so on. I am not coming that far, as within vue I cannot generate procedural geometries (only procedural displacement maps).
Anyway, keep going, the progresses are stunning!
Omg, I love your "Beauty" submission XD Those are some nice greebles indeed! Localizing greebles sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try that out.
:oops: thanks - but actually it is not representative of the next level ;) as it is uniformly covered with (pseudo random) greebles.

Here is an example (work in progress) of what I mean:

I am cheating because the "structures" are manually (if very simple) modelled...

thedamngod wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 pm
Some pretty solid ships already. Good job, Lindsey! :D

I can't wait for windows on the textures. Those will put them on an even higher level.
There will be more advanced textures coming, but there will not be transparent windows D: :angel:

CSE wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 pm
:oops: thanks - but actually it is not representative of the next level ;) as it is uniformly covered with (pseudo random) greebles.
Very cool!!!
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

I don't think he meant transparent windows, Lindsey, but rather some self-illuminated window texturing, to show a sense of scale. That should be doable in Josh's engine, I would think. I think everyone accepts at this point that transparent windows simply isn't going to happen, but you can also do a lot with glossy gray/black surfaces. :) I'm not sure if that's on the menu, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Emissivity maps will be a thing. Although it may not be necessary, since the engine is HDR you get some degree of 'emissive for free' just by being able to set diffuse/albedo beyond the usual LDR range, which will cause bloom to pick it up heavily just like a glow/emissive map. But that won't be perfect as it will be mixed with envmap as well as subject to ambient occlusion, neither of which should be the case with emissive materials. But yes, emissive is stupidly-easy to add. color += texture2D(texEmissive, uv).xyz. There you go. Maybe I should just leave it as an exercise for modders :lol: (kidding.)

Also, these new ships from Lindsey as of today are just awesome. I will glance at her screen and think for a moment that she's playing Freelancer :D They look even better in-game. It's pretty clear that my texturing is now the weakest link... :oops:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 am
I don't think he meant transparent windows, Lindsey, but rather some self-illuminated window texturing, to show a sense of scale. That should be doable in Josh's engine, I would think. I think everyone accepts at this point that transparent windows simply isn't going to happen, but you can also do a lot with glossy gray/black surfaces. :) I'm not sure if that's on the menu, though.
Maybe I should have stated this a little better, but yes, I don't want to have transparent windows. Sorry about that.

As Tal pointed out, I meant some windows as part of texture, which could glow. The illumination could even have a different color depending on the status or situation of the ship. Maybe some sort of "team colors" could be used (not my favorite).
The other thing would be indication of battle stations. If the ship is engaging in combat the windows could glow in a more red-ish color, whereas the normal mode would be white and some alerted state yellow.

thedamngod wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 am
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 am
Maybe I should have stated this a little better, but yes, I don't want to have transparent windows. Sorry about that.

As Tal pointed out, I meant some windows as part of texture, which could glow. The illumination could even have a different color depending on the status or situation of the ship. Maybe some sort of "team colors" could be used (not my favorite).
The other thing would be indication of battle stations. If the ship is engaging in combat the windows could glow in a more red-ish color, whereas the normal mode would be white and some alerted state yellow.
Thank you for the clarification ^^ Glowy things and lights will almost certainly be a part of ships & stations, as Josh said.
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

I don't think window glow would be necessary for anything but the largest ships. I think small fighters are going to be moving far to quickly for anyone to notice that the window shine has changed. As far as texturing goes, I'm fine with windows (and textures in general) looking like this:
Spoiler:      SHOW

BFett wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:32 pm
I don't think window glow would be necessary for anything but the largest ships. I think small fighters are going to be moving far to quickly for anyone to notice that the window shine has changed. As far as texturing goes, I'm fine with windows (and textures in general) looking like this:
yes. because nobody would ever look at their own ships just to enjoy the shinies?
or look at ships that are not fighting
or use a "look at" camera mode

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 pm
BFett wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:32 pm
yes. because nobody would ever look at their own ships just to enjoy the shinies?
or look at ships that are not fighting
or use a "look at" camera mode
Am I not entitled to my own opinion?

Online Now