Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, October 27, 2017

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 am
Distant wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm
And of course, for those who like it, here's a video review of this log: https://youtu.be/ThVTwFp2agk
We do like the videos, Distant (why the change?), they add a great deal to our enjoyment. I'm not ashamed to say that I prefer audio and visual treats. :thumbup: :angel:
I was wondering if anyone would notice the name change :D Not doing it to be sneaky, just felt like an alias was a better way to go on the forums :think:

I'll keep the vids coming my friend!
Shoot ALL the things!

FormalMoss wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm
Which has me wondering, can stations be destroyed? Or at least damaged to a point where the chunks that make the station become unstuck with an arbitrary random variable to simulate an explosive decompression of certain atmospheric levels to give realistic space debris?
Sorry, that just came out of nowhere.

Excellent post Lindsey, looking forward to reading it now :)
:clap:
Destroyed and damaged? Yes. Can pieces break apart? We're not promising that for 1.0, unfortunately. And thank you for the kind words :)

S46 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:04 am
A good source of inspiration is the EVE online stuff (I know, I know, I keep on rabbiting about how good EVE ships and stations are) and I would definitely be interested to see what stations and ships with that level of detail can end up as when generated procedurally!
If you're a fan of EVE stuff, you should deffo check out this concept art: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GJKXN

nobb wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am
First thank you for this dev log and joining the team. You're working on one of the most interesting aspect of this project in my opinion!

I've looked at your pinterest, and I would like to recommend a look at protein structure for organic(ish ?) shape.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I think so too XD And ooh, fascinating, I'll add this to my organic board :0
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Dynamic debris might be too much for 1.0, but what about dynamic, animated textures? per-tri /per-quad textures? multiple material layers with different constraints as to their placement?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

S46 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 pm
Definitely looking forward to LT, and not just because it means I'll be able to fly giant battlecruisers without having to pay for an omega subscription :evil:
https://kotaku.com/eve-online-free-play ... 1819295206
the December Alpha Clone update will open up two additional classes of ships: the Battlecruiser and the Battleship.
just FYI ;)

I saw that... ...but still, if I had to get an omega subscription I'd rather there be a "get once keep forever" option...

Also I'm kind of more into the mining business in EVE so whether battleships and cruisers will help me that much I can't say for sure...

Guess that Gallente destroyer I got a couple days ago is gonna accumulate dust in the storage unless I get omega... ...which reminds me, why did I even get it in the first place?! :?
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

Also the whole fleet mechanic thing will allow for some pretty awesome battles with EVE-level detail ships (here I go again :lol: )

Also I think that procedural weapons and turrets/mining lasers should be based upon this:
Sizes:
Large
Applies to anything above a battlecruiser
Medium
Applies to anything below battlecruiser but above fighter or (small) frigate
Small
Applies to small frigates and fighters and drones

Types:
Mining - To mine, obviously
Combat - Standard laser weaponry >>>>>> Broken down into smaller groups
1) Plasma
a) Heavy
b) Light
2) Large Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
3) Medium Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
4) Small Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
c) Rapid-fire

Industrial - Harvesting all kinds of resources
Multipurpose - Can be used in combat and for mining
Missile - Self explanatory
Bomb - Also self explanatory
Beam - Large, concentrated laser beams (dreadnought - sized ships and above)
Railgun - -->-------------->------------->------BOOM

Maybe rarer types of weapons as well
Also they should have random (but not stupid) colors, so there is some diversity...

Put all of that together and throw a ship in and you're ready to go on your personal crusade :)
Also, huge ships should rightly have huge amounts of turrets, but to prevent having to activate them all one by one you could assign them "batches" or numbers, and when one of those is pressed it activates the whole group.

You know what I had a really good idea so I'm going off to the suggestions thread... ...also this sounds kinda weird but, if there is a creative/admin mode, then I would like to have a feature where you can spawn in procedural ships... ...but enough of this, off to the suggestions thread!

S46 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 am
Large
Medium
Small
so you want to squeeze 9ish orders of magnitude in size difference into 3 groups?
so every size step is a factor 31000 more voluminous than the previous one, a multiplier of 31 in every direction (the number similarity pleases my OCD)

thats a pretty large size step :P

S46 wrote:
1) Plasma
a) Heavy
b) Light
2) Large Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
3) Medium Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
4) Small Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
c) Rapid-fire
why would plasma be a dedicated group for weaponry? why are all the others dedicated groups?
one thing PCG can easily do is tweak numbers, which is all you do there.
S46 wrote:
difference... where?
S46 wrote:
so theres exactly one size of missile... for ships of volume 1 and for ships of size 1000000000 (factor 1000 in each direction according to the last thing i heard from josh)
you differentiate guns out into various arbitrary categories but missiles are just one thing? :P
S46 wrote:
where is a railgun different from any other cannon?
you can build them in all kinds of sizes and fire rates, a lot like conventional, chemical, guns.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am
you can build them in all kinds of sizes and fire rates, a lot like conventional, chemical, guns.
I would say that in general a railgun refers to a kinetic weapon fired using a propulsion mechanism in the ship. This is different from a standard gun, for which the propulsion of the projectile is contained in the projectile. I don't really know how this would be different in LT or if it would be different at all. This would be something that I would want to mod in, the ability to have projectiles that you fire actually have an effect on the total momentum of your ship. A really interesting example of this in effect would be actually using your weapons to speed up your ship by firing in the same direction as thrusters, or to be able to do a particularly sharp turn by firing a massive railgun in the opposite direction you want to go.
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am
S46 wrote:
Large
Medium
Small
so you want to squeeze 9ish orders of magnitude in size difference into 3 groups?
so every size step is a factor 31000 more voluminous than the previous one, a multiplier of 31 in every direction (the number similarity pleases my OCD)

thats a pretty large size step :P

S46 wrote:
1) Plasma
a) Heavy
b) Light
2) Large Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
3) Medium Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
4) Small Laser
a) Slow
b) Fast
c) Rapid-fire
why would plasma be a dedicated group for weaponry? why are all the others dedicated groups?
one thing PCG can easily do is tweak numbers, which is all you do there.
S46 wrote:
difference... where?
S46 wrote:
so theres exactly one size of missile... for ships of volume 1 and for ships of size 1000000000 (factor 1000 in each direction according to the last thing i heard from josh)
you differentiate guns out into various arbitrary categories but missiles are just one thing? :P
S46 wrote:
I split the guns into smaller types as an example, apply the same kind of principle of different types to missiles and cannons

Also industrial differs from mining cause of things like gas harvesters... ...cause you can't mine gas...

And as for the size difference... ...I can change that around, honestly it's just a general idea of how weapons should work (if I really want to elaborate on it I'll move to the suggestions thread)

No new devlog today (since I'm doing every other week), but I couldn't help but post shinies of the icosahedron I wrote this morning :p
Spoiler:      SHOW
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Online Now