Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, October 27, 2017

LindseyReid wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 am
Thank you to everybody for letting me know how hyped you are!! I'm really excited. I'll try to continue with posting every 2 weeks, and we'll see how that feels. It'll depend on 1) how much material I have for a devlog in 2 weeks, in both pictures and things to talk about and 2) how long it takes me to write up that material.
Please don't fall into the Josh Posting Trap, we don't require mind-blowing development information to be available before you post, Lindsey. just keep it regular, please. :angel:
LindseyReid wrote:
PS, I pop into the IRC a few times a week... :)
Yes, I used to enjoy popping into IRC, Lindsey, but some of us are having problems with that at the moment. :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am
LindseyReid wrote:
Thank you to everybody for letting me know how hyped you are!! I'm really excited. I'll try to continue with posting every 2 weeks, and we'll see how that feels. It'll depend on 1) how much material I have for a devlog in 2 weeks, in both pictures and things to talk about and 2) how long it takes me to write up that material.
Please don't fall into the Josh Posting Trap, we don't require mind-blowing development information to be available before you post, Lindsey. just keep it regular, please. :angel:
LindseyReid wrote:
PS, I pop into the IRC a few times a week... :)
Yes, I used to enjoy popping into IRC, Lindsey, but some of us are having problems with that at the moment. :)
Haha yes, you are working on procedural pretties, just dumping some pictures from the last week and saying "Hey look at this ugly monstrosity!" is more than enough. :D
Also yes, IRC is best!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Some of it won't make sense without reading the post :V
Challenge accepted.. and I guessed right too :P
I understood the concept that they were building blocks to ascertain the code structure required to create certain shapes. And like lego, the last part just sticks them all together with glue.

Which has me wondering, can stations be destroyed? Or at least damaged to a point where the chunks that make the station become unstuck with an arbitrary random variable to simulate an explosive decompression of certain atmospheric levels to give realistic space debris?
Sorry, that just came out of nowhere.

Excellent post Lindsey, looking forward to reading it now :)
:clap:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

I wonder, when it comes to recognising shapes ... aren't neural networks pretty good at that?
You could feed your analyzed stations and doodles into something like hyperGAN. It spits out images of Stations shapes that it thinks are pretty. You evaluate them, take the good ones and add them to the baseline. When it is at a point that you would say "yes ... now 80% of them look like stations".
You have your station algorithm with your parameters. You take a minimizer that iterates through the possibility space of your parameter set and uses the neural network as cost function to evaluate the outcome of each parameter set. This way you could narrow down the local or global minima minima for each new iteration of the ship algorithm over night.
I just realized hyperGAN does not work this way, does it? It creates images, it does not recognise them? Well then .... there sure is some free code for learned image recognition out there. ^^
(hypergan could work by mapping the parameters of good looking stations on pixels of an image (with brightness representing the parameter value) and than using hypergan to spit out new parameter sets)
Obviously I have no idea what I am talking about XD
It's way to late here. I should sleep. Good night. ^^

Ah, oh, wait!
Lindsey, love your devlog! ( like every LT devlog ... don't feel too special :ghost: )
But yeah, what Victor said. Waiting for something awesome is a trap. ^^

Distant wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm
This was fun Lindsey, thanks so much for joining the team :) I enjoyed all the screenshots!

And of course, for those who like it, here's a video review of this log: https://youtu.be/ThVTwFp2agk
Omg!!! My first video review!! Ahhhhhh so cool!!!

We super appreciate your help propagating the updates throughout the community :0 Looks like your commenters do too :)
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Here some impressions on what Egosoft is dooing currently for X4, showcasing Stations created by the AI, wich is based on the manual station editing for the player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA (starting at around 23:00)

The Stations are modules, wich are snapped together at module-joints and can also be rotated within the joints limits of freedom.

The modules themself (serving a specific function within the station) are handcrafted. But they could shurely also be generated.

Awesome! If you've already managed to create lots of primitive shapes, and rotate rectangles, in just this week, we should be treated to some Lindsey-brand eye candy (extra sweet) soon :D

A good source of inspiration is the EVE online stuff (I know, I know, I keep on rabbiting about how good EVE ships and stations are) and I would definitely be interested to see what stations and ships with that level of detail can end up as when generated procedurally!
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

S46 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:04 am
A good source of inspiration is the EVE online stuff (I know, I know, I keep on rabbiting about how good EVE ships and stations are) and I would definitely be interested to see what stations and ships with that level of detail can end up as when generated procedurally!
There's nothing wrong with pointing out that EVE ships and stations are worthy of attention when looking for sources of inspiration, S46. I would consider it a triumph for Lindsey if LT procedural ships and stations end up looking as good as they do. :angel:

LindseyReid wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:40 am
Distant wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm
This was fun Lindsey, thanks so much for joining the team :) I enjoyed all the screenshots!

And of course, for those who like it, here's a video review of this log: https://youtu.be/ThVTwFp2agk
Omg!!! My first video review!! Ahhhhhh so cool!!!

We super appreciate your help propagating the updates throughout the community :0 Looks like your commenters do too :)
:) I'm glad you enjoy them :)
Shoot ALL the things!

First thank you for this dev log and joining the team. You're working on one of the most interesting aspect of this project in my opinion!

I've looked at your pinterest, and I would like to recommend a look at protein structure for organic(ish ?) shape.
Spoiler:      SHOW
for me they really examplify an alien structure: they are obviously organised, but also obviously not man made. I think the main reason they seem so organise is because of the symetry, wich is a fact that I find sadly underused in procedural content. another poin is reocuring structure.

finally I'd like to point to david goodsell ( the king of molecular drawing ) other work https://www.google.fr/search?q=goodsell ... 5&bih=1345

Online Now