Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, October 23, 2017

SpacePioneer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm
So...can we still design our own ships, or is it completely procedural now? I was looking forward to building my own ships in LT with the procedural parts ;-;
Being able to design your own ships is something Josh considers absolutely essential. There will certainly be a ship designer of some sort at release. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Grumblesaur wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm
SpacePioneer wrote:
So...can we still design our own ships, or is it completely procedural now? I was looking forward to building my own ships in LT with the procedural parts ;-;
I suspect the improvements Lindsey is making to the geometries of ships and stations will also be applicable to those rendered by customization in addition to those by procedural generation. We as humans with mice and keyboards will be able to tweak the ships all we want (and perhaps have more complex ways we can bend and forge the metal to our will and specification), but her algorithms are to teach the computer to do a better job of slapping polygons together to make a spaceworthy (and hopefully, visually appealing) hunk of machinery.
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm
SpacePioneer wrote:
Being able to design your own ships is something Josh considers absolutely essential. There will certainly be a ship designer of some sort at release. :)
Good to hear, I was worried XD

I'm a bit late to this party (welcome, Lindsey!), but Josh's notes on asteroids got me thinking.

1. Can asteroids perturbed by outside forces hit each other? Should they? What effects should that produce that would be fun/appropriate for this game?

2. If asteroids can move, then even if they're affected by Magical Space Drag ;) eventually they will disperse from their original volume.

Is some kind of shepherding feature needed at the edges of a field-containing-asteroids that gently corrals them back into the field's bounding volume?

3. Simulation of gravity from solid objects (or fields) at asteroid size on up. Want. Don't expect to get. Still want. :lol:

This talk of dynamic asteroids and *possibly* stations (if it’s not in game, surely must be a mod) makes me want some kind of drone that’s just a clamp on one end and a remote-control rocket motor on the other. Something that I can fire at enemy ships to mess with their control, or stick to asteroids to move them closer to my station (or turning a whole station into a ship that I can fly around/smash into a planet). Probably not the kind of thing that would be in the game, but a mod I’d consider writing if i end up having the time. Great work as always and I’m looking forward to all the new possibilities of making things dynamic without killing my pc.

JoshParnell wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:33 pm
The third desk here at the office has remained unsettlingly-empty since Sean's departure. We can never hope to replace Sean's zest for flow-field-AI mechanics, nor would we dare try. But I'm very pleased and excited to announce that our third desk has found a new occupant: Lindsey Reid, technical artist extraordinaire.

Lindsey comes from an interesting mix of background experiences. Like Adam, she's worked here at the tech park in the past and been part of the game development community here in Baton Rouge, which is how we met in the first place. Some of you have already met her on IRC or the forums -- we've been dating for quite a long time now :) She's had the experience of working as a game programmer at a major AAA studio (making her...yes...the only one of us three to have worked in 'the big leagues'). When she approached me with a desire to work on Limit Theory, it was her knowledge of the juncture of art and code that sold me on it.
'I hired my girlfriend, lol'
If anyone needed a more clear sign that the project is in deep deep trouble. Here it is.

If funds are tight enough, it makes sense to hire people that you're friends with, trust you, and are willing to work for less/wait until the game is released for payment. I wouldn't call that situation nepotism, and he stated clearly that she was qualified in the same part of the post that you quoted anyway.

edit: Be nice, Corn. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

No need to be nice to people who are unwilling to judge on the merits of the work already produced.
Since Lindsey has joined the work we have already seen way more of the project, and a huge number of procedural methods for producing shapes have been added.

While we have yet to see if she can make interesting spaceships, she has the skills to do so.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now