Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, October 23, 2017

If you made this comment shortly after the announcement, I'd say that you have a point, that hiring your girlfriend is cause for concern... but I think Lindsey has proven herself a valuable asset to the development of the game over the last 6 weeks.

If, after a fair assessment of her work, you still think her being his girlfriend is problematic and a sign of desperation in the project, then by all means, throw your hands in the air and lament the imminent doom of limit theory, the rest of us could use some entertainment.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:38 pm
'I hired my girlfriend, lol'
If anyone needed a more clear sign that the project is in deep deep trouble. Here it is.
So the meaningful and visible progress that she has demonstrated in her short time with the project doesn't mean anything to you? I agree with Hyperion: at this point it's clear that Lindsey is a very valuable addition to the team and someone who will help LT achieve its full potential (if it wasn't before due to her skills and experience working on videogames).

It says a lot about the regulars here that you weren't laughed out of this thread for your comment, but keep in mind that if you continue to claim that the sky is falling despite every indication to the contrary, even the most patient people will eventually tire of your comments.

TROPtastic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am
So the meaningful and visible progress that she has demonstrated in her short time with the project doesn't mean anything to you? I agree with Hyperion: at this point it's clear that Lindsey is a very valuable addition to the team and someone who will help LT achieve its full potential (if it wasn't before due to her skills and experience working on videogames).

It says a lot about the regulars here that you weren't laughed out of this thread for your comment, but keep in mind that if you continue to claim that the sky is falling despite every indication to the contrary, even the most patient people will eventually tire of your comments.
I like this guy, Talvieno, can we keep him as a pet?! :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

TROPtastic wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 am
I'm flattered, but I prefer to lurk in the shadows like a dark, mysterious, snack pet stranger :p
We all have aspirations and dreams my friend, but then we sometimes have to confront reality
;)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

TROPtastic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am

I don't see any meaningful progress. Ships would be flying boxes until the economy and sandbox elements are finished which have taken to the sideline while Josh wrestles with increasingly unimportant crap.
Therein lies the rub, the truly monumental challenge at the heart of building LT (a challenge so formidable that I've given it the title of The Fundamental Problem of Limit Theory; FPLT for short): the completion of Limit Theory demands the utmost efficiency in both run-time performance (a la C++), AND development cost (a la LTSL). These two interests, as most programmers know, are in oppisition to one another in the world of development. In general you can have one, not both.

I'm patient enough to let the cards fall where they will. Limit Theory is late, very late. Ships are not gameplay. This is not a game till there is gameplay.

She's not hired to do gameplay. She's hired to do ships, so can Josh can focus on gameplay because he kinda sucks at ships.
You need both to have a finished game. This is why every game has artists and developers. (In case of LT, the artist needs to be a dev as well of course, for PCG)
So judging her merit by value of her not doing what she wasn't hired to do in the first place is... silly.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Thanks! Happy new year to you too.

PAX was awesome. We had a steady crowd the entire time, people seemed to have a great time playing the demo, we ran into several Kickstarter backers, we spawned ludicrous number of ships and lasers, what's not to love?

The booth was in a prime location this year which, from previous experience, makes all the difference. I didn't actually get to see much of PAX myself because I was having too much fun at the booth.

Sorry I've been flying below the radar lately. Between working on cool stuff, getting a new puppy, and moving I seem to have misplaced all my free time. Eventually it's all going to end up on here, though.

AdamByrd wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:52 pm
PAX was awesome. We had a steady crowd the entire time, people seemed to have a great time playing the demo, we ran into several Kickstarter backers, we spawned ludicrous number of ships and lasers
Do you think it would be worth it to create several similar slices of freeform-fun for different aspects of the game, with stripped down mechanics and interfaces? I'm thinking such slices might serve as good seeds for tutorials and minigames, as well as allowing you to get a sense of "Okay, we know that at its core, this aspect of the game is really enjoyable, now we just need to work on the presentation and make sure the interdependencies with other aspects of the game don't hurt that seed of joy too much."
The booth was in a prime location this year which, from previous experience, makes all the difference.
That's great news, not only from a marketing perspective, but if you made it clear how open and moddable the game will be, it could be really good for attracting dev talent too!

getting a new puppy
pics?
Imagination Fertilizer

Online Now