Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, October 23, 2017

YES! Awesome! 300% blocky ship reduction? EPIC! Seriously it would be awesome to have spaceships as aesthetically appealing as EVE Online ships, but with an unlimited number of variants and designs due to procedural generation! Keep it up dev team!
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

LindseyReid wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 am
Hyperion wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am
LindseyReid wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 am
Also, I'm starting with stations. :twisted:
My Grading System:
I saw your inpso post for stations, I love it!! I myself have a Pinterest board and a pile of books with pages marked with tabs for inspiration. And now a whole post!!!

The algorithms will slowly grow from being sub-par to passable to excellent. The stuff that your B and up ships are made of- curves, detail, and uniqueness- just take time to implement :D
You are officially the best developer I have ever seen or heard of. You deserve a medal. I have been waiting so long for aesthetically pleasing yet procedural things... :D :D :D :D :D :D :o :clap: :P

S46 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am
You are officially the best developer I have ever seen or heard of. You deserve a medal. I have been waiting so long for aesthetically pleasing yet procedural things...
If you're being serious, S46, let me help you onto the bus and you can take your seat with the many others who have the same feelings about, "aesthetically pleasing yet procedural things". :angel:

I'm hoping for some nice screenshots next week (I'm kinda starved of eye candy to feast on) and, when the game comes out, I can safely say that I will be buying it! Also I agree with Hyperion on how space stations and ships should look like - plenty of satisfying curves, greebles and so on. There's no point in getting a ship if there's nothing to feast your eyes upon! I'm hoping that I can get a ship and confidently say that it's a unique, aesthetically pleasing one that I can never get tired of looking at...

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:16 am
S46 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am
You are officially the best developer I have ever seen or heard of. You deserve a medal. I have been waiting so long for aesthetically pleasing yet procedural things...
If you're being serious, S46, let me help you onto the bus and you can take your seat with the many others who have the same feelings about, "aesthetically pleasing yet procedural things". :angel:
:lol: Absolutely! I'm excited for pretty ships as well.
S46 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:21 am
I'm hoping for some nice screenshots next week (I'm kinda starved of eye candy to feast on) and, when the game comes out, I can safely say that I will be buying it! Also I agree with Hyperion on how space stations and ships should look like - plenty of satisfying curves, greebles and so on. There's no point in getting a ship if there's nothing to feast your eyes upon! I'm hoping that I can get a ship and confidently say that it's a unique, aesthetically pleasing one that I can never get tired of looking at...
I wouldn't expect beautiful ships next week, S46. I expect Lindsey will have to scrap most of Josh's original algorithm and start from scratch, first building out a strong, stable foundation to work on. Josh was able to complete his quickly because there was a low maximum complexity. Lindsey is aiming for a much higher maximum complexity - thus, it'll take longer to see results, because increasing the maximum complexity to an algorithm drastically increases the amount of work required. When we do see pictures, they may not be gorgeous just yet... but they'll improve from there. In brief, they won't be gorgeous right away, but don't let that disappoint you. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

It is 100% my goal to make amazing stations and ships, but as Talv said, I'm writing everything from scratch, so there won't be anything amazing picture-wise this week! Just some basic shapes, joints, doodles, and lots of words. It'll probably be at least a few weeks before cool stations start happening. I'll talk more about the process and how it's all going to come together in the dev log that I'm working on. :)
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm
It is 100% my goal to make amazing stations and ships, but as Talv said, I'm writing everything from scratch, so there won't be anything amazing picture-wise this week! Just some basic shapes, joints, doodles, and lots of words. It'll probably be at least a few weeks before cool stations start happening. I'll talk more about the process and how it's all going to come together in the dev log that I'm working on. :)
Just reading your post will make members very happy, Lindsey. :D :angel:

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm
You should do what Josh doesn't.
Make a Imgur Gallery (or equivalent) and upload random screenshots of your station and ship attempts. Especially the bad ones, those are always hilarious :3
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

SpacePioneer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm
So...can we still design our own ships, or is it completely procedural now? I was looking forward to building my own ships in LT with the procedural parts ;-;
I suspect the improvements Lindsey is making to the geometries of ships and stations will also be applicable to those rendered by customization in addition to those by procedural generation. We as humans with mice and keyboards will be able to tweak the ships all we want (and perhaps have more complex ways we can bend and forge the metal to our will and specification), but her algorithms are to teach the computer to do a better job of slapping polygons together to make a spaceworthy (and hopefully, visually appealing) hunk of machinery.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Online Now